Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I believe there is currently a national Marmite shortage? My mum was going on about this the other day, apparently they haven't been brewing as much because of lockdown or something. Might be complete bollocks to be honest.

Think you might be right there. I've even thought about going  to the factory to see if they have an onsite shop so i could fill my boots (or car boot)

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

I thought ‘pie’ in reference to pizza was reserved just for authentic deep dish/Chicago style pizza? As it literally resembled a slice of pie? 

spacer.png

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I thought ‘pie’ in reference to pizza was reserved just for deep dish/Chicago style pizza? As it resembled a slice of pie? 

It's both . A proper all rounder.

I went to Brean on Monday. Hadn’t been there since I was about 12 I think so about 24 years. Always hated it even as a kid as the sea was always out and I hate sand but the nostalgic side of me took over and I thought I’d appreciate it more now I’m an adult. I never knew there was a world war fort on top of the headland so went up there to check it out. That part was lovely, the walk across the downs was great and first impressions of the beach were good. Pre 12:00. After 12:00? Jesus Christ......

When we got back down to the beach from up at the fort I was shocked to see that the beach had now become what looked like 90% cars/campervans instead of sand. It was a horrible sight and made me feel so sad. Has it always been like that? I don’t remember it being full of cars years ago. Such a shame. Kids having to stop playing and running around every few minutes because Darren and Tracey in their souped up Astra wanted to go past with trance music playing for everyone in a 200 mile radius to hear. It was the Mos Eisley of beaches. Horrible and I’ll never go back again now. 

I actually have a soft spot for Weston SM, but Brean can go **** itself.

• Like 1

A lot of people, me included, learning that with the option of foreign holidays taken away you have to be extremely careful with where you go in the UK. So many shit holes that will be anything but a holiday.

On that theme, we booked a few days in Clacton-on-sea at the end of July… I’m nervous now that it’s another Blackpool/Skegness type place? Can anyone confirm? It seemed a good idea at the time as it’s somewhere we’ve never been, and plenty to do.

Porthtowan.  Slice of heaven!

Cornwall in general is so much better than most UK seaside resorts.  It's just a heck of a long way away (in UK terms) though I understand Newquay gen get a little bonkers at times!

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

That had confused me!

What the hell do they call actual pies then?

Here is a photo of Tipton's favourite Pizza Parlour*

* which seems to have relocated to open countryside

Mad_O_rourkes_1563181822.jpg&action=Prod

Mad O'Rourkes also do online deliveries. 6 mixed pies for £24...not cheap but as an occasional treat its great.

Trust me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

A lot of people, me included, learning that with the option of foreign holidays taken away you have to be extremely careful with where you go in the UK. So many shit holes that will be anything but a holiday.

On that theme, we booked a few days in Clacton-on-sea at the end of July… I’m nervous now that it’s another Blackpool/Skegness type place? Can anyone confirm? It seemed a good idea at the time as it’s somewhere we’ve never been, and plenty to do.

We're heading down to North Devon in a few weeks to see the family. I was speaking to my brother last night and he was saying how it was the busiest they've ever seen it. I can only imagine the chaos that the school holidays will bring. 

11 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Mad O'Rourkes also do online deliveries. 6 mixed pies for £24...not cheap but as an occasional treat its great.

Trust me.

He used to drink with us at my mates back when pubs used to close at 11pm. Never brought pies though..

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I thought ‘pie’ in reference to pizza was reserved just for authentic deep dish/Chicago style pizza? As it literally resembled a slice of pie? 

spacer.png

Deep dish is a Chicago thing. Too much dough for my liking. 

As for the use of "pie", you can thank Dean Martin

42 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Trust me.

Yeah, I did actually look at that in lockdown and was highly tempted. 

• Like 1

... deep dish/Chicago style pizza? As it literally resembled a slice of pie? 

spacer.png

At our old works canteen they used to do pizzas like that (ish) every now and again. A lad I worked with use to have them for his dinner....with carrots and gravy piled on top.

Double food crime FFS. Firstly the doughy canteen pizza, then the over-cooked tinned carrots and then (as much as I like a good gravy) canteen gravy on top.

• Shocked 1

When we got back down to the beach from up at the fort I was shocked to see that the beach had now become what looked like 90% cars/campervans instead of sand.

What kind of barbarians allow cars on the beach? 

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Deep dish is a Chicago thing. Too much dough for my liking. 

For years I thought that line was "a big piece of pie". 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Not true. I'm that sad, I Moonied "Pizza Pie Origin" when it was first mentioned upthread

Pizza and pie are occasionally used interchangeably in recipes and other media. But why name something after another dish? Where did it all come from? You can find all about it here.

Crust Kingdom

I think this all generally stems form the American misuse of the word pie in the first place. A pie is not open topped, it has a pastry lid

All those things American pie dishes like Pecan Pie and Mississippi Mud Pie etc were never pies in the first place. They were always tarts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think, to state the obvious, you have to decide what it is you want and do a bit of planning before you get there. Plus you need the right mindset. If the kids want funfairs and candy floss and slot machines, you’ve just got to get in that mindset and go with it. I don’t think you can randomly book a generic seaside resort and just hope that when you get there it will be quiet, scenic, peaceful, and cheap but with an excellent previously undiscovered sea front gastro pub. 

We went to Margate a couple of years ago and on the day we went, it was a picture of hell. Absolutely rammed with scuzzy looking people, the first car park we turned up at had travellers fighting and a burnt out car. We moved to the second car park and there was a gang of hoodie wearing yoot slowly cycling around the car park looking in every car. Litter blowing up n down the main Street. Minging. Even the **** Tate was **** closed. Absolute waste of petrol.

We left and went 15 miles up the road to Whitstable, it was lovely and sunny, there was an excellent record shop, we had one of the best fish n chips ever whilst in the background there was a band playing trad jazz. Couldn’t have been more of a contrast.

Since then, I’ve seen lots of pictures and film clips of Margate and if I hadn’t been there I’d think it was awesome. 

Margate:

spacer.png

Whitstable:

spacer.png

• Like 2

Â