Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

We’ve booked a fairly high spec caravan with decking so we have our own bit of space. 
It’s also on a park that has a restaurant, shop, take away and evening entertainment so again, we shouldn’t get caught out like last week where I was worrying where we were going to be able to eat.

We can dip in and out of the main town, or explore surrounding areas too. I’m far less concerned but just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience of Clacton. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you're going to Clacton, you can tick off two more of the 12 most deprived LSOAs, really complete the set after your time in Blackpool :D

In that case I’ll leave the Range Rover and home and go in something more common like an Audi or BMW.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Pies are called pot pies in America as far as I know, but they’re probably not too common.

Yeah, I think that's right. They're more of a frozen supermarket item as far as I can tell.

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think, to state the obvious, you have to decide what it is you want and do a bit of planning before you get there. Plus you need the right mindset. If the kids want funfairs and candy floss and slot machines, you’ve just got to get in that mindset and go with it. I don’t think you can randomly book a generic seaside resort and just hope that when you get there it will be quiet, scenic, peaceful, and cheap but with an excellent previously undiscovered sea front gastro pub. 

We went to Margate a couple of years ago and on the day we went, it was a picture of hell. Absolutely rammed with scuzzy looking people, the first car park we turned up at had travellers fighting and a burnt out car. We moved to the second car park and there was a gang of hoodie wearing yoot slowly cycling around the car park looking in every car. Litter blowing up n down the main Street. Minging. Even the **** Tate was **** closed. Absolute waste of petrol.

We left and went 15 miles up the road to Whitstable, it was lovely and sunny, there was an excellent record shop, we had one of the best fish n chips ever whilst in the background there was a band playing trad jazz. Couldn’t have been more of a contrast.

Since then, I’ve seen lots of pictures and film clips of Margate and if I hadn’t been there I’d think it was awesome. 

Margate:

spacer.png

Whitstable:

spacer.png

This bloke still has alot to answer for Margate's decline :

This bloke still has a lot to answer for in Margate's decline....

various-shutterstock-editorial-937272w.jpg

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

The absolute front of this guy. 

Do I get a bonus point for saying he's got more front than Margate and tying up the two current trends of the topic in one post?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Nice bloke Doug Trendle

In fairness I've heard the same. My bro saw him at Bearded Theory festival a few years ago and he did a good set. Lost about 13 stone but isn't as energetic as he used to be, naturally. 

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

In fairness I've heard the same. My bro saw him at Bearded Theory festival a few years ago and he did a good set. Lost about 13 stone but isn't as energetic as he used to be, naturally. 

I think I met him with my old Uni mate Mike. Mike went to school with Phil Jupitus and Jupitus is a fan of Bad Manners and a friend of Buster. Buster used to run a record label for Ska bands at one point and then had something to do with a band my mate Mike managed at the time. I think I met him when there was some business being discussed in a pub in London. Meeting took about half an hour, drinking session lasted all day

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Thing is, believe it or not I actually PREFER it from cans.  I find bottled beer to gassy.  Also the cans come in at £1.12 per can v £1.56 per bottle so I actually pay less for something I prefer............as long as the bear stewards turn up with it.

Thing is, it's been showing as out of stock for months so I was so excited to see it actually in stock again.  But it really isn't.

Need to drag yourself to Cotteridge Wines. Last time I was there, admittedly last winter, I'm sure they had it in cans. As well as Bathams. 

4 hours ago, Genie said:

A lot of people, me included, learning that with the option of foreign holidays taken away you have to be extremely careful with where you go in the UK. So many shit holes that will be anything but a holiday.

On that theme, we booked a few days in Clacton-on-sea at the end of July… I’m nervous now that it’s another Blackpool/Skegness type place? Can anyone confirm? It seemed a good idea at the time as it’s somewhere we’ve never been, and plenty to do.

Few days in Jaywick? Right on the edge of Clacton

ExpAVeJ.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

What kind of barbarians allow cars on the beach? 

A quick Mooney seems to suggest a lot get stuck or washed out to sea. Excellent. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I always get confused between Ramsgate and Margate. It's Ramsgate that's the currently trendy one isn't it?

I thought it was Margate that became East London hipster-on-sea. Pete Doherty moved there. Reason enough to go to Ramsgate. 

• Haha 1

We're looking forward to the next instalment of @Genie's magical mystery tour. 

Like Michael Portillo's great train journeys... but in a Ford Kuga to British seaside resorts instead. 

• Haha 1

Â