Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

36 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I'd very much like to second this. I've deliberately gone out of my way to be difficult to overly entitled users many, many times. It's a badge of honour. Being difficult but keeping the fix within SLA takes real skill :) And then moaning to everyone I work with about what a Representative for Wellingborough the requester is, so they do it too.

It's like if a tradesman comes to your house. Make him a cup of tea, and he'll be happy. Talk to us in IT nicely, and you'll likely get the response you require next time you have an emergency.

Definitely. I am a consultant so spend set periods in various companies. I make sure I get to know IT and build a relationship with them. They are the difference between working smoothly or having a big headache. Corporate systems, especially to a new guy can be beset with issues, never be the dick that makes demands. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's common African-American vernacular :unsure:

That white people started using about themselves as @MessiWillSignForVilla says (and I said), and then the Right Wingers started , y'know, being (again) numpties and then it gets amplified and then we get to where we are now, where it has become totally counter productive for everyone (IMO).

Overly dramatic commercials for products/services/etc.  Just watched the newest add for airbnb and ridiculous how dramatic and emotional they made it, I swear thought at first it was about drug addiction or something similar.

Edited by Big Salad

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

That white people started using about themselves as @MessiWillSignForVilla says (and I said), and then the Right Wingers started , y'know, being (again) numpties and then it gets amplified and then we get to where we are now, where it has become totally counter productive for everyone (IMO).

No, hang on, that's not right. @MessiWillSignForVilla said it was 'picked up by white Americans', which is not (necessarily) the same as your version, 'it's a ludicrous tag that people started using about themselves'. His version is absolutely compatible with the idea that white conservatives began weaponising it before-and/or-to-a-greater-extent than white people using to describe themselves. If what he meant was the same as what you said, he's welcome to correct me and say so but he didn't say anything about 'using about themselves'.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nobody has said it was the IT guys fault have they? Beneficial to read before writing.

Know it's hard to the techies here to understand, but we can do our consultancy completely analog. When you then have your salaries coming from the consultancy of those you are supposed to help, you better be super flexible or you are just company deadwood.

You’re correct, you didn't say the fact that you struggle with the basic functionality of your work phone was their fault. You said the IT guys were 'idiots' (I liked the irony in this as you'd just said that you can't remember what pin you set), and that they 'show nada effort to help' (they are offering to help but want you to follow the clearly defined processes which will be in place for very good reasons such as potentially preventing someone hacking your phone, these processes also being signed off by senior execs in your firm - might be beneficial or know the remedial process before you create issues like locking your phone) and you finished it by calling them 'wankstains' which possibly annoyed any 'techies' in here and I felt you were implying that you're better and much more important than the IT Dept. That's why I commented as I thought your posts weren't particularly nice, but if that wasn't your intention or if I've added to the stresses of your day then I apologise. 

I'm not a 'techy' and don't work in IT. My job occasionally requires working with IT/Cyber teams and experts and I understand why these processes are being used and the difficult job IT teams usually have. 

I actually work more with Consultants (both niche and from the major firms) but that's a whole other story. 

Going analogue and using pen and paper is a backup option but isn't the recommended approach as it presents major risks in terms of security, data loss and audit. 

• Like 2

On 14/03/2021 at 17:53, Chindie said:

To add to the topic from a slightly different angle, the current version of the game FIFA has commentary by Derek Rae, whose forced pronunciation is maddening.

A French player, Jeremy Doku. His take? Zh-air-ee-meee Doc-ooo, with heavily emphasised accent.

Douglas Luiz? Doo-glar Hhlu-ees.

And so on. It's not so much that he's trying to make an effort to pronounce things correctly, it's that he's turning it up to 11 and trying to imitate the accent and it's cringeworthy. You can say a French name correctly and not try to sound like you were raised under the Eiffel Tower. There's a difference between saying Thierry Henry as 'Terry Henry' and saying it correctly, and saying it like Seine runs through your veins.

I think the worst is Bruno Fernandes. He bloody pronounces it as Bruno Fer-nange. So irritating.

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You’re correct, you didn't say the fact that you struggle with the basic functionality of your work phone was their fault. You said the IT guys were 'idiots' (I liked the irony in this as you'd just said that you can't remember what pin you set), and that they 'show nada effort to help' (they are offering to help but want you to follow the clearly defined processes which will be in place for very good reasons such as potentially preventing someone hacking your phone, these processes also being signed off by senior execs in your firm - might be beneficial or know the remedial process before you create issues like locking your phone) and you finished it by calling them 'wankstains' which possibly annoyed any 'techies' in here and I felt you were implying that you're better and much more important than the IT Dept. That's why I commented as I thought your posts weren't particularly nice, but if that wasn't your intention or if I've added to the stresses of your day then I apologise. 

I'm not a 'techy' and don't work in IT. My job occasionally requires working with IT/Cyber teams and experts and I understand why these processes are being used and the difficult job IT teams usually have. 

I actually work more with Consultants (both niche and from the major firms) but that's a whole other story. 

Going analogue and using pen and paper is a backup option but isn't the recommended approach as it presents major risks in terms of security, data loss and audit. 

Don’t you speak to the bestest bigly salaryboys like that you prole!

Edited by Ingram85
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, hang on, that's not right. @MessiWillSignForVilla said it was 'picked up by white Americans', which is not (necessarily) the same as your version, 'it's a ludicrous tag that people started using about themselves'. His version is absolutely compatible with the idea that white conservatives began weaponising it before-and/or-to-a-greater-extent than white people using to describe themselves.

It is compatible with both People picked it up and weaponised by right wingers OR what I said - it was picked up and used by " white left wing " people. My recollection may be wrong, but it's that it was used by white folk to signify they understood their privelege, and then turned against them by right wingers who started going on (with some degree of validity) about how it was being used as a lever against the right wing (for not appreciating their privelege - something the right wing seem to reckon they don't have). Whichever it is, is ...whatever.

Anyway, I'm off to get jagged right now and don't want an argument as well as a vaccine. :) I need to be chilled - hate needles

18 hours ago, bickster said:

You must use pen and paper and communicate by jungle drums

Well yes, but only since starting my new job as stenographer for the law offices of Djembe, Taiko & Dundun.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

It is compatible with both People picked it up and weaponised by right wingers OR what I said - it was picked up and used by " white left wing " people. My recollection may be wrong, but it's that it was used by white folk to signify they understood their privelege, and then turned against them by right wingers who started going on (with some degree of validity) about how it was being used as a lever against the right wing (for not appreciating their privelege - something the right wing seem to reckon they don't have). Whichever it is, is ...whatever.

Anyway, I'm off to get jagged right now and don't want an argument as well as a vaccine. :) I need to be chilled - hate needles

My impression is the opposite, that it has been weaponised by the likes of Fox News and Ben Shapiro and Donald Trump and all the lying cretins of the US right, and also I can't recollect ever hearing anybody describe themselves as 'woke' (I'm sure it has happened, but off-hand I can't think of any examples) but you're right we're not going to solve this this afternoon.

Good luck with your jab, just remember to take it easy afterwards 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Don’t you speak to the bestest bigly salaryboys like that you prole!

It was terribly gauche of me, I should know better and my betters. But I also knew if I got the first few words just right he'd be happy, wouldn't bother to read the rest and everyone would be happy. 

Also, don't presume my class, I live in Yorkshire and aspire to be working class! I mean when I was lad....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

My impression is the opposite, that it has been weaponised by the likes of Fox News and Ben Shapiro and Donald Trump and all the lying cretins of the US right, and also I can't recollect ever hearing anybody describe themselves as 'woke' (I'm sure it has happened, but off-hand I can't think of any examples) but you're right we're not going to solve this this afternoon.

Good luck with your jab, just remember to take it easy afterwards 👍

Woke and being so was a whole thing from the left/social justice crowd back in Obama times with its peak around the whole Ferguson riots and related issues. It has since been turned into a pejorative, in large part due to the obvious logical fallacies of some of the positions of the disparate groups that comprise the left.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villakram said:

It has since been turned into a pejorative, in large part due to the obvious logical fallacies of some of the positions of the disparate groups that comprise the left

Thank Jesus there no such logical fallacies among right-wingers. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 12:29, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well yes. I'm sitting here with 4 clients, two major reports, phone asks for an update so I update it while going to lunch. Come back and the thing locks itself after 3 missed pin codes. I contact my IT department and they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. So now my hopes of getting shit done today is about zero. And to add to the flavour my IT department just said they will try to help if I spend 15 minutes registering the issue in their service bollocks software. I swear these idiots make me rage. Their salary is basically from the projects we do, yet they show nada effort to help us out when needed. A **** service portal when I need immediate assistance. **** off you wankstains and **** off some more.

As the bloke at the other end of the phone I cannot resist:

524h6w.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 16/03/2021 at 20:43, bickster said:

You must use pen and paper and communicate by jungle drums

Was in a meeting with the CEO of one the business units we support who was bitching about a couple of large IT projects they wanted/needed doing but didnt want to fund so wanted them done as Business As Usually by the IT team.  My boss who's usually a very well spoken fellow turns to him and says "if you need that done how about I go down to Smith's and get some pens and paper because that's f**king cheap".  They've not underfunded a project since.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, penguin said:

As the bloke at the other end of the phone I cannot resist:

524h6w.jpg

PEBKAC.

Saying that I've worked on enough places now where IT just breaks, or you log off one night for a scheduled update to systems and come back to a system that doesn't work at all.

The list of winners from this years Grammy Awards.

I know I might be a bit blinkered but FFS, 50% of the winners are utter cack, the other half I've never heard of.

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The list of winners from this years Grammy Awards.

I know I might be a bit blinkered but FFS, 50% of the winners are utter cack, the other half I've never heard of.

Maren Morris won one for The Bones. She identifies as a country singer, that’s debatable. The Bones however is a great pop song. 

Â