Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

To be fair, there are loads of smaller place names in Britain that have odd local pronunciations that people from other parts of the country routinely get wrong. Here in Yorkshire for example, I've heard Keighley pronounced ' Keely' by southerners (it's 'Keethly' btw). 'Slaithwaite' is pronounced 'Slowit', and so on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Jytteborg = Göteborg is the closest I come up with. We in south Sweden pronounce it with the two tt:s.

Most Swedes can't pronounce Kristianstad from that video. Im born there and it's named after a Danish king.

Yøteborr. Makes sense. 

Kee-shan-stahd. Weird. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

More subtly, Kabul went from 'Ka-BULL' to 'KAR-bul'. 

Americans, at least TV news people here, pronounce Qatar as Cudder. And most Americans pronounce Iraq and Iran as Eye-rack and Eye-RAN. Pisses me off.

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Americans, at least TV news people here, pronounce Qatar as Cudder. And most Americans pronounce Iraq and Iran as Eye-rack and Eye-RAN. Pisses me off.

Ibiza. UK = Eye-beetha. Surely should be Eebeetha?

And I keep hearing "idyllic" as "eye dillic". You're in a rural idyll (iddle), not a rural idle. 

It's that IKEA thing again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ibiza. UK = Eye-beetha. Surely should be Eebeetha?

And I keep hearing "idyllic" as "eye dillic". You're in a rural idyll (iddle), not a rural idle. 

It's that IKEA thing again. 

My guess would be people assume “idyllic” is linked to “ideal”.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

biza. UK = Eye-beetha. Surely should be Eebeetha?

That is at least an improvement on eye--beezer which is what it was called when it first became a popular tourist destination

• Like 1

To add to the topic from a slightly different angle, the current version of the game FIFA has commentary by Derek Rae, whose forced pronunciation is maddening.

A French player, Jeremy Doku. His take? Zh-air-ee-meee Doc-ooo, with heavily emphasised accent.

Douglas Luiz? Doo-glar Hhlu-ees.

And so on. It's not so much that he's trying to make an effort to pronounce things correctly, it's that he's turning it up to 11 and trying to imitate the accent and it's cringeworthy. You can say a French name correctly and not try to sound like you were raised under the Eiffel Tower. There's a difference between saying Thierry Henry as 'Terry Henry' and saying it correctly, and saying it like Seine runs through your veins.

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

To add to the topic from a slightly different angle, the current version of the game FIFA has commentary by Derek Rae, whose forced pronunciation is maddening.

A French player, Jeremy Doku. His take? Zh-air-ee-meee Doc-ooo, with heavily emphasised accent.

And so on. It's not so much that he's trying to make an effort to pronounce things correctly, it's that he's turning it up to 11 and trying to imitate the accent and it's cringeworthy. You can say a French name correctly and not try to sound like you were raised under the Eiffel Tower. There's a difference between saying Thierry Henry as 'Terry Henry' and saying it correctly, and saying it like Seine runs through your veins.

Yep. Exactly the point I was making upthread. 

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Derek Rae was the announcer for New England Revolution games in the 90s. He affected an American accent, and a bad one. You could tell that he was under instruction to do so. 

Not that I know a great deal about him or anything but I remember the first time I heard Walter Benjamin's name pronounced which for some reason took me by surprise, in my head I'd always read it as you'd image it if he was was English, but of course being German it's pronounced differently. Was actually on a 'In Our Time' podcast, and the presenter Melvyn Bragg was pronouncing it in the English way and insisted on saying it like that even though the guests were saying it the German way, I think some people worry that they will sound pretentious if they say things the way they're said in a foreign language.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Not that I know a great deal about him or anything but I remember the first time I heard Walter Benjamin's name pronounced which for some reason took me by surprise, in my head I'd always read it as you'd image it if he was was English, but of course being German it's pronounced differently. Was actually on a 'In Our Time' podcast, and the presenter Melvyn Bragg was pronouncing it in the English way and insisted on saying it like that even though the guests were saying it the German way, I think some people worry that they will sound pretentious if they say things the way they're said in a foreign language.

I didn't think I'd ever hear anyone say that Melvyn Bragg feared he was sounding pretentious 😀😀

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Sanson seems a bit of an awkward one, in his first match the commentator was pronouncing it Sonne-sonne but I reckon it sounds better as San-sonne.  The former is probably correct.

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

While we're on the pronouncing foreign names thing, I wish we didn't have these 'British versions' of place names - Munich, The Hague, Florence, Rome, etc. Works both ways, too. The French should be able to manage 'London' instead of 'Londres'. 

Don't get me started on Americans and Worcester.  It ain't that flipping hard. 

7 hours ago, bickster said:

I have an infection around the nail of one of my fingers. It's now pissing me of that much that I'm about to go full on Victorian Medicine on it and lance it with a sterilised pin

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

May I recommend sir, a course of leeches followed by the compliment of a hot bread poultice and regular consumption of tinctures  of quinine to dowse the Devil  

Yes, just pop a couple down your codpiece before you go to bed. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

To be fair, there are loads of smaller place names in Britain that have odd local pronunciations that people from other parts of the country routinely get wrong. Here in Yorkshire for example, I've heard Keighley pronounced ' Keely' by southerners (it's 'Keethly' btw). 'Slaithwaite' is pronounced 'Slowit', and so on. 

My brother in law is from Alcester and he doesn't half get angry when someone insists to him that his home town should be pronounced All-ses-ter instead of the correct Alster. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My brother in law is from Alcester and he doesn't half get angry when someone insists to him that his home town should be pronounced All-ses-ter instead of the correct Alster. 

We have a street near our office, Towcester Street. Now most of us here know this is pronounced Toaster but not to Scousers, they pronounce it tOW (soft t with the emphasis on the OW) Chester

Gibbons, don't get me started on their pronunciation of Malvern which has become two shortened male christian names added together and then there is Parthenon which has become Par-Theeeee-Neon

Â