Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

20 hours ago, mjmooney said:

While we're on the pronouncing foreign names thing, I wish we didn't have these 'British versions' of place names - Munich, The Hague, Florence, Rome, etc. Works both ways, too. The French should be able to manage 'London' instead of 'Londres'. 

Why stop at cities?  If you’re ok with München, and Firenze etc. then surely it should be Deutschland instead of Germany?....Sverige, Espana, Polska...

But the mad one, I agree is what we know as “Holland”. What historical or grammatical reasons are behind that? It’d be like calling Britain “Yorkshire”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The way the right wing can just say someone is being 'woke' when bollocks is called out for being bollocks.

Displays a quite incredible lack of critical thinking. 

Its easier to throw out an accusation of people being "woke" than it is to actually try and give any reasoning in a lot of cases. Also much easier to ignore any issues in society as a whole if you can just dismiss people bringing it up as being "woke"

"Woke" is the new "Snowflake" and I'm sure there'll be another word/label which will be used once "woke" has run its cause. 

Woke is being awake to societal ills. Homophobia, misogyny, racism etc. Being aware and not falling into. Someone calls me woke then I am fine with that, who would want to be the alternative to that?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Woke is being awake to societal ills. Homophobia, misogyny, racism etc. Being aware and not falling into. Someone calls me woke then I am fine with that, who would want to be the alternative to that?

To me the word "woke" is a load of bollex. It's a ludicrous tag that people started using about themselves and others to indicate not just what you rightly say, but as a sort of political movement and signifier of views (including  to the exclusion of others. Serves the **** right if it's now used against them 😝.

This might be OTT stereotypical satire, but I mean it's like : "I'm a vegan, with a big support profile and a rainbow flag and icon of a sheep on Twitter for BLM, LGBT, Climate change, Trans rights, Animal rights, Ban Fossil fuel now, #Kindness" - and then "anyone who eats meat I hope they die" and "Here's me on the beach in Dubai - living the life". A load of it is about all image, tribalism and hypocrisy.

Caring about those issues is all good. It's the virtue signalling, the hypocrisy that riles me, tbh.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, blandy said:

To me the word "woke" is a load of bollex. It's a ludicrous tag that people started using about themselves and others to indicate not just what you rightly say, but as a sort of political movement and signifier of views (including  to the exclusion of others. Serves the **** right if it's now used against them 😝.

This might be OTT stereotypical satire, but I mean it's like : "I'm a vegan, with a big support profile and a rainbow flag and icon of a sheep on Twitter for BLM, LGBT, Climate change, Trans rights, Animal rights, Ban Fossil fuel now, #Kindness" - and then "anyone who eats meat I hope they die" and "Here's me on the beach in Dubai - living the life". A load of it is about all image, tribalism and hypocrisy.

Caring about those issues is all good. It's the virtue signalling, the hypocrisy that riles me, tbh.

I will go with that. Actions and not tags, or virtue signalling. I don’t know where the expression came from and the first time I saw it, like “lit” I had to look it up. The way I viewed it was oh, just being normal then. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I will go with that. Actions and not tags, or virtue signalling. I don’t know where the expression came from and the first time I saw it, like “lit” I had to look it up. The way I viewed it was oh, just being normal then. 

Maybe you're kinder than I am - I mean it seems to me like a fair percentage of it all is kind of luxury views - like

"I'm against [this thing] as you can see from my Insta profile" 

"that's nice, no-one likes [this thing] - what are you involved in, then about fighting [the bad thing]"

"How do you mean involved - I post to my followers that it's bad, and follow other people on Insta who think it's bad, too. Job done"

"so you sell yourself as anti [bad thing] and make a big thing of your wokeness, but don't actually do anything, or get involved in anything that involves more than scrolling through social media and posting likes and down-votes?"

"I'm blocking you, you Tory/Nazi/Racist/Murderer/TERF/..."

• Like 1

Unfortunately an old friend of mine has just become a very evangelical vegan. He now lives in northern Scotland, so my only communication with him is via Facebook, and I'd hate to totally lose contact. But I've had to 'pause' his posts for a month, in the hope he gets off the soapbox, because it was getting very tiresome. 

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is there another sort?

:trollface:

Oh yes...too weak and enfeebled to evangelise.

:trollface:

hark at us picking on the vegans. Meanies that we are. I like ‘em really.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Wait times exceeding 15 minutes when dealing with customer service over the phone is just unacceptable. **** OFF

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

And to make matters more annoying, the muzak they play makes my head explode

DId you put the phone down as they wanted you to?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Wait times exceeding 15 minutes when dealing with customer service over the phone is just unacceptable. **** OFF

The main reason for this is always understaffing. I design multimedia contact centres and nearly every customer I've installed for would much prefer you to contact them in other ways. Now AI and bots are in the market you're going to find it harder and harder to talk to people in the future.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

The main reason for this is always understaffing. I design multimedia contact centres and nearly every customer I've installed for would much prefer you to contact them in other ways. Now AI and bots are in the market you're going to find it harder and harder to talk to people in the future.

I know. And having worked in the service industry my whole life, I'm sympathetic to people who work the phones. My anger isn't directed at them, but the corporate dickheads who are too cheap to have a properly staffed C.S. apparatus in place.

• Like 2

Just now, maqroll said:

I know. And having worked in the service industry my whole life, I'm sympathetic to people who work the phones. My anger isn't directed at them, but the corporate dickheads who are too cheap to have a properly staffed C.S. apparatus in place.

I feel your pain. Sorry to be boring, but I always warn companies about this, especially where it's easy to leave a review. Never listen. The worst offenders are car insurance companies by a country mile. I once knew a company down in the south east who had their car park blocked off by a huge lorry from a haulage firm who hadn't been able to get through to chase a payout.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

It's true. We'd much rather people booked online or via IVR or Voice recognition. Not only are automated bookings cheaper than calls answered by the call centre staff, I was looking at the number of bookings not picked up and those entered by call centre staff have by far, the worst rate of No Shows by customers. Call Centre staff account for 40% of bookings, automated processes the rest. the call centre No Show rate is currently approx 4% The Automated processes come in at about 2.5%, one method is consistently lower than 1%. The only non human method that rivals the staff in No Shows is our original App (it has bugs) which I'm trying to persuade the board of directors needs turning off

• Like 1

Â