Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Just now, bickster said:

NAh, going for the sterilised needle approach

Just checked the emergency sections of hospitals are still open for when the inevitable happens 👍

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

People that park in the McDonald’s click and serve collection point bays and stay in them until they have eaten their food stopping anybody else who has pre-ordered being able to pick their food up

The problem with anything other than collecting from the drive through is you can’t get sauces. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just checked the emergency sections of hospitals are still open for when the inevitable happens 👍

Nature beat me to it, I was just about to lance it when it burst of its own accord

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

While we're on the pronouncing foreign names thing, I wish we didn't have these 'British versions' of place names - Munich, The Hague, Florence, Rome, etc. Works both ways, too. The French should be able to manage 'London' instead of 'Londres'. 

It's odd though isn't it. We've started doing it with the likes of  Mumbai / Bombay & Beijing / Peking but haven't remotely started with those places closer to home, that you would imagine are easier to get  right

Then you have places that we've always seemingly called correctly even though logically we shouldn't like Nice

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's odd though isn't it. We've started doing it with the likes of  Mumbai / Bombay & Beijing / Peking but haven't remotely started with those places closer to home, that you would imagine are easier to get  right

Then you have places that we've always seemingly called correctly even though logically we shouldn't like Nice

To be fair tho, it’s just easier sometimes.

Company i work for has an office in the Netherlands in a place we call Den Bosch, the local spelling for it is ‘s-hertogenbosch (and no, I haven’t made an error in typing that).

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Which reminds me. Now that Bombay has become Mumbai, why isn't the Indian film industry called Mummywood? 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

While we're on the pronouncing foreign names thing, I wish we didn't have these 'British versions' of place names - Munich, The Hague, Florence, Rome, etc. Works both ways, too. The French should be able to manage 'London' instead of 'Londres'. 

I was on holiday in Italy and they advertised a Champions League match involving Bayern Monaco, which confused me no end.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was on holiday in Italy and they advertised a Champions League match involving Bayern Monaco, which confused me no end.

Are you saying that the Italians call München 'Monaco'? If so, what do they call Monaco?

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Are you saying that the Italians call München 'Monaco'? If so, what do they call Monaco?

Indeed they do.  Having a quick Google it looks like some Italians have mistakenly gone to the wrong Monaco before as they're both called the same thing.  It kind of makes sense as Munchen is named after 'monks' house' or something similar, which is what Monaco means in Italian.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

I wonder if the dynamic you note there is an artefact of weak-but-real attempts at 'decolonising' the language? Which is a dynamic that therefore affects Asian and African places more than other European countries?

• Like 2

As with the footballers' names mentioned upthread, I don't expect anyone to try and mimic the exact local pronunciation. But at least acknowledge the spelling, rather than inventing a completely made-up version (like 'Florence'). Although we could have a better stab at some of the pronunciations, too - Gothenburg, anyone? (Our Swedish VTers will advise, but something like... 'Yootaborg'?) 

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

some Italians have mistakenly gone to the wrong Monaco before as they're both called the same thing

Haha, that's as bad as the old 'Pharaoh Islands' thing. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I wonder if the dynamic you note there is an artefact of weak-but-real attempts at 'decolonising' the language? Which is a dynamic that therefore affects Asian and African places more than other European countries?

I think you have a point as my recollection is that both these changes were lead by the BBC, I first heard the correct usage on the BBC news of both Mumbai and Beijing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Gothenburg, anyone? (Our Swedish VTers will advise, but something like... 'Yootaborg'?) 

Something like yurt-a-bor-ee, I think, at least, I didn't get lynched when I went there and pronounced it like that :D 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you have a point as my recollection is that both these changes were lead by the BBC, I first heard the correct usage on the BBC news of both Mumbai and Beijing

More subtly, Kabul went from 'Ka-BULL' to 'KAR-bul'. 

• Like 1

Jytteborg = Göteborg is the closest I come up with. We in south Sweden pronounce it with the two tt:s.

Most Swedes can't pronounce Kristianstad from that video. Im born there and it's named after a Danish king.

• Thanks 1

Â