Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

I assume it's 1 or 2 since we all know your kids were raised to know the value of money and working hard to achieve something.😉

He’s had a gentle reminder having fished it out 😉

Edited by Follyfoot

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We do use a lot of pen and paper, but you don't need an IT department to use a laptop tbf.

Ah, you use an airgapped laptop for work, thats clearly the way forward for all of us

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Ah, you use an airgapped laptop for work, thats clearly the way forward for all of us

I'm sure he can sort the laptop out and get it running properly and be completely safe, he can sort the firmware, AVG, DLP, synchronisation etc and keep it all up to date against the latest security threats and best practices. 

I mean it's basically as easy as unlocking a phone. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well yes. I'm sitting here with 4 clients, two major reports, phone asks for an update so I update it while going to lunch. Come back and the thing locks itself after 3 missed pin codes. I contact my IT department and they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. So now my hopes of getting shit done today is about zero. And to add to the flavour my IT department just said they will try to help if I spend 15 minutes registering the issue in their service bollocks software. I swear these idiots make me rage. Their salary is basically from the projects we do, yet they show nada effort to help us out when needed. A **** service portal when I need immediate assistance. **** off you wankstains and **** off some more.

Maybe remember your pin code so the phone doesn’t lock itself? Not the **** **** of a **** IT Guys fault is it.

• Haha 2

Nobody has said it was the IT guys fault have they? Beneficial to read before writing.

Know it's hard to the techies here to understand, but we can do our consultancy completely analog. When you then have your salaries coming from the consultancy of those you are supposed to help, you better be super flexible or you are just company deadwood.

• Haha 1

On 15/03/2021 at 12:47, blandy said:

To me the word "woke" is a load of bollex. It's a ludicrous tag that people started using about themselves and others to indicate not just what you rightly say, but as a sort of political movement and signifier of views (including  to the exclusion of others. Serves the **** right if it's now used against them 😝.

This might be OTT stereotypical satire, but I mean it's like : "I'm a vegan, with a big support profile and a rainbow flag and icon of a sheep on Twitter for BLM, LGBT, Climate change, Trans rights, Animal rights, Ban Fossil fuel now, #Kindness" - and then "anyone who eats meat I hope they die" and "Here's me on the beach in Dubai - living the life". A load of it is about all image, tribalism and hypocrisy.

Caring about those issues is all good. It's the virtue signalling, the hypocrisy that riles me, tbh.

It's common African-American vernacular :unsure:

Working in IT, there's a reason you need a ticket/case for every issue. One of the IT blokes fixes your phone without a ticket, then it breaks again later and there's no history of what he did, what could have broke it moving it forward; we will also use this data for trending, looking for wider problems. It's short-term, expectant, entitled behaviour that every end user displays, until they actually sit in our shoes for a day.

Also what's urgent to you, sorry, isn't urgent for the overall IT team. They look after everything to do with IT. One user not being able to access his phone is the lowest of low priorities. 15 minutes is a staggering response time. 

As others have said, in this world, IT makes everything happen. They'll never be redundant. Keep us happy or we'll **** you over when you really, really need help. Trust me, every IT guy has done it.

Would you moan at a mechanic for ensuring your log book is updated, rather than just repairing your car? 

Edited by StefanAVFC

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's common African-American vernacular :unsure:

ironically, the meaning originates from the Republican party opposing the spread of slavery in Lincoln's campaigns with the Wide Awakes movement. From there it was picked up by the black community in the early 20th century and morphed into "Stay Woke" and has a deep connection with political and societal awareness within the black community going back decades.

Then as with a lot of things in America, it was picked up by White Americans and the meaning got diluted.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Working in IT, there's a reason you need a ticket/case for every issue. One of the IT blokes fixes your phone without a ticket, then it breaks again later and there's no history of what he did, what could have broke it moving it forward; we will also use this data for trending, looking for wider problems. It's short-term, expectant, entitled behaviour that every end user displays, until they actually sit in our shoes for a day.

Also what's urgent to you, sorry, isn't urgent for the overall IT team. They look after everything to do with IT. One user not being able to access his phone is the lowest of low priorities. 15 minutes is a staggering response time. 

As others have said, in this world, IT makes everything happen. They'll never be redundant. Keep us happy or we'll **** you over when you really, really need help. Trust me, every IT guy has done it.

Would you moan at a mechanic for ensuring your log book is updated, rather than just repairing your car? 

Pffft, you sound like a **** corporate deadwood to **** me. Not even a **** hint of **** flexibility. ****. The big important serious boys who pay your **** salary won’t be **** happy with this. They can do things analogue!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

ironically, the meaning originates from the Republican party opposing the spread of slavery in Lincoln's campaigns with the Wide Awakes movement. From there it was picked up by the black community in the early 20th century and morphed into "Stay Woke" and has a deep connection with political and societal awareness within the black community going back decades.

Then as with a lot of things in America, it was picked up by White Americans and the meaning got diluted.

That's interesting history, thanks.

It seems to the key stage here is 'it was picked up by white Americans'; I assume what that means in practice is that once white conservatives became aware of the term (the Wikipedia article on 'woke' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke  - who knows how accurately, traces this to an Erikah Badu song and the reaction to the murder of Michael Brown) they started weaponising it against liberals and African Americans. My hunch is that it's rather less about white liberals choosing to self-describe as 'woke', though said Wiki article also notes Jack Dorsey (but of course) wearing a 'stay woke' T-shirt.

The reason I'm challenging @blandy's post here is that there doesn't seem much to cheer about in right-wing Americans weaponising African American vernacular against liberals, prominently including African-American liberals. I guess it's 'fair game' at the end of the day, but 'serves the **** right' isn't how I feel about that.

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'd very much like to second this. I've deliberately gone out of my way to be difficult to overly entitled users many, many times. It's a badge of honour. Being difficult but keeping the fix within SLA takes real skill :) And then moaning to everyone I work with about what a Representative for Wellingborough the requester is, so they do it too.

It's like if a tradesman comes to your house. Make him a cup of tea, and he'll be happy. Talk to us in IT nicely, and you'll likely get the response you require next time you have an emergency.

• Like 3

Open the mail this morning. 

First letter: My pension is going up. Yay. 

Second letter: Speeding ticket. 36 in a (temporarily) 30. Boo. 

The left hand giveth and the right hand taketh away. 

• Like 1

Â