Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That's up to you.

I think this highlights a big issue with what you posted. It is quite possible for people to try and see the world from another's perspective but it's not always easy, however it's imperative that people at least understand that other perspectives exist and thus generalising from their own viewpoint is very dodgy indeed.

Replied to. Your post was replied to - with a one line response.

Your response to that was longer and more detailed and my subsequent response was duly longer as a result.

If you want to frame it as 'being picked apart' rather than having some of the specifics in your post addressed then go ahead but it's a bit of a silly way of replying.

What I think is silly is responding to what I thought was a very broad (non-specific) post, in the appropriate topic, stating I thought everyone appears to be down, but I believe there is still happiness and beauty to be found, but it's quite hard to find - and being told that I'm not taking into consideration every individuals specific problems.  

You're absolutely right - I wasn't (nor did/do I want to).  If what you're saying is true, and life IS absolutely appalling and there is nothing to do to make that change for some people, then that's very sad. 

Afterall, what is life without dreams and hope? 

• Like 2

Had to cancel my birthday trip to Iceland for next week  this morning   ... essentially the government there are now making you test on arrival , quarantine for 5 days and then a second test  ..which in our case would have pretty much been as we arrived at the airport to go home .

Obviously more important things going on in the world than my trips , but still a bummer as family were all looking forward to this trip

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

One of my pet hates.

"Why are you pausing it?"

"Because we're having a conversation"

or

"You don't seem very talkative"

"Because I"m trying to watch this!"

If we're watching TV then we're watching TV. Obviously I"m not weird, the odd comment or question here and there is obviously fine. But if we're having a proper conversation then I"m pausing it. I can't do both!

you tweak the quality of what you're watching to suit the time of day and levels of conversation, which is a polite way of saying put her shit on when she wants to talk...but seriously me and the wife have varying degrees of interest in each TV show and do things around it accordingly, for example im not walking through the door from work, seeing to the baby while she cooks and sticking Dark on, you need some throw away shit that forget talking through 10 minutes of it you can go to the toilet without pausing it or even miss an episode and not really care that much, ours is currently blacklist

Going back to the exam topic.

Some awful examples. Say you have a class of 10 in 2019 and the grades were A*A*AAABBCUU and then a class of 10 this year.

The two Us happened, so regardless of what the bottom two were predicted, they will get U. So it could be a very smart cohort and a group of grades like A*A*A*AAAAAAB and the A and B would be a U.

I don't understand why they couldn't scrap the exams and make it solely coursework based (appreciate for say maths that might not be possible) or even fathom up some sort of online test

no doubt they did explore options but this algorithm seems to be the worst one

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The bloody Sky Q remote, I don't think I'll ever get used to the numbers being so low on it.  

talking of Sky Q  , i found out the other day , if you push the blue Q on the set-top box the remote starts beeping so you can find the thing when the kids have somehow shoved it under the sofa

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't understand why they couldn't scrap the exams and make it solely coursework based (appreciate for say maths that might not be possible) or even fathom up some sort of online test

Because the tories don’t believe in continuous assessment, they wanted a return to the old fashioned rigour and pressure of swatting for a one off shit or bust exam.

You reap what you sow.

46 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Had to cancel my birthday trip to Iceland for next week  this morning   ... essentially the government there are now making you test on arrival , quarantine for 5 days and then a second test  ..which in our case would have pretty much been as we arrived at the airport to go home .

Obviously more important things going on in the world than my trips , but still a bummer as family were all looking forward to this trip

My lot have wanted to go to Iceland for years.

Everytime it gets close, something comes up like a volcano or economic collapse or covid.

I’m working on a theory that Iceland doesn’t actually exist. 

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

talking of Sky Q  , i found out the other day , if you push the blue Q on the set-top box the remote starts beeping so you can find the thing when the kids have somehow shoved it under the sofa

Well **** my ass and call me sally. That’s genius

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I suspect the answers to the first two are 'because it was too late for coursework when lockdown started' and 'because it is absolutely impossible to prevent cheating in online tests'. These are not, in themselves, bad reasons, but the problem as identified by @chrisp65 is that A levels were much more resilient when they were a combination of coursework and exams, and even more so when split into AS and A2 levels.

• Like 1

I've had a few tests that were online, where you had to have a webcam on, give the observer a 360 view around the room, and then you're monitored throughout both via the webcam and them remoting on to monitor your computer. Even with that it'd have been simple enough to cheat if I were determined enough, as well as disadvantaging kids without computers/webcams/stable internet connections. Remote exams were just a non-starter, IMO.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My lot have wanted to go to Iceland for years.

Everytime it gets close, something comes up like a volcano or economic collapse or covid.

I’m working on a theory that Iceland doesn’t actually exist. 

There was a pattern a  few years back that  every time I went to a country some small disaster or uprising would hit it in the weeks after I left  , it became a bit of a joke with my mates ,  to the point before they booked  a trip anywhere they would ring me to check I wasn't due there in the days before  ... 

I can't take any blame for Iceland though as I've never been , but  hopefully next year I'll drop you a PM and confirm its existence

• Like 1

I got tagged in to interview a new hire this morning. I hadn't been involved in sifting the CVs or putting the shortlist together, so I looked at his CV for the first time about 30 minutes before the interview and my reaction was "why on Earth are we bringing this guy in?". About 5 minutes in, it was pretty clear he wasn't suitable at all, but due to politeness I had to keep asking questions and maintain a facade he was doing ok. What a waste of everyone's time.

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've had a few tests that were online, where you had to have a webcam on, give the observer a 360 view around the room, and then you're monitored throughout both via the webcam and them remoting on to monitor your computer. Even with that it'd have been simple enough to cheat if I were determined enough, as well as disadvantaging kids without computers/webcams/stable internet connections. Remote exams were just a non-starter, IMO.

I had one at university that was multiple choice and we were given the exam paper a month before the exam...

there were some pretty mad ones at uni, multiple choice, being able to take all your notes in, several where we got the test paper before the exam

I would have thought that even bending the exam structure to enable an online exam would still be better than what they've done, not sure how long it would take to design an exam that meant they knew kids could look at sources during the exam but that was included within the marking, history for example you increase the emphasis on the ability to properly reference quotes knowing that they're sat googling it all as they do the exam so the content should be worth slightly less 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I had an interview this morning, it was funny, they kept going on about how shit the guy before me was. 

That’s just what the interviewer said out of politeness and to maintain the facade that you were doing well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Â