Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Everyone seems to think life is shit lately.

It's not, it's brilliant and like the lies and mis-truths which are perpetuated in the media etc, a lot of people seem to believe that's true, when normally they would not.

Even if things aren't going your way all time, even if there is a lot of bad things happening in your life, cast your net wider.  There's so much to enjoy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's not, it's brilliant and like the lies and mis-truths which are perpetuated in the media etc, a lot of people seem to believe that's true, when normally they would not.

Even if things aren't going your way all time, even if there is a lot of bad things happening in your life, cast your net wider.  There's so much to enjoy.

It's a good sentiment, but unfortunately for many people life is pretty shit, and looks set to get shitter as we enter a major recession. It can be pretty hard to look on the bright side at times. Personally, I'm OK (so long as my pension doesn't dry up), but I do worry about the future for my children and grandchildren. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

It's a good sentiment, but unfortunately for many people life is pretty shit, and looks set to get shitter as we enter a major recession. It can be pretty hard to look on the bright side at times. Personally, I'm OK (so long as my pension doesn't dry up), but I do worry about the future for my children and grandchildren. 

Who doesn't worry about their kids?

Natural response because we all want what's best for them.

We're not in the bestest of best times, but we certainly ain't living in the worst of them either, as much/many would have you believe.

It is funny though, that whatever side of the spectrum you sit on, it doesn't seem to matter regarding happiness and outlook on life at the moment.. everyone is miserable about stuff.

Seems the more caring, sharing and more aware of everyone's problems we become, the worse people feel.

Go find the beauty in your life, you'll enjoy it more.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry to wade in with personal experience, life can be very shit, I've had plenty of horrible thing happen in my life (losing my mum and little sister, Karen within a year of each other), being diagnosed with MS, 3 miscarriages, had to give up a businesses that were earning me a really good amount of money but it taught me to always look for positives. It's so easy to feel down about yourself and everything about you but there is always a bright point, you may not be able to always see it, but it IS there. As socks and sandals as it may seem, I do use mindfulness to help me (BTW, I am not religious)

Having said all that, it could be worse we could support a hopeless football team...

32 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I’ve gone through a skills matrix today, trying to fairly and logically work out the three people that will be losing their jobs.

Those of us that are happy with our brilliant lives maybe have to temper it for the people that are not currently in a position to chin up and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve gone through a skills matrix today, trying to fairly and logically work out the three people that will be losing their jobs.

Those of us that are happy with our brilliant lives maybe have to temper it for the people that are not currently in a position to chin up and enjoy the ride.

I'd wager that a pessimistic outlook is far, far more common than a positive one at the moment, so I'll continue to look up (despite not everything being perfect).

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd wager that a pessimistic outlook is far, far more common than a positive one at the moment, so I'll continue to look up (despite not everything being perfect).

I wouldn’t dispute the idea of being optimistic not pessimistic, that’s usually me. In the loosest possible hippy trippy way I do believe in positive thought.

It’s more the proclamation that life is brilliant and the suggestion or hint that people need to cheer up. That’s what maybe sits a little awkwardly at the moment with all that’s going on.

Personally, I’d pitch it more at ‘keep on keeping on’, than ‘cheer up’, and that’s not to say you don’t grab your laughs wherever you can. 

• Like 2

No amount of positivity can outweigh the anxiety and tension right now.

There are so many concerns and issues bubbling away you can’t just expect the world to flick a switch and turn the frown upside down.

As nice a thought so it may be.

I think a lot of people, myself included are far more fearful of the future than the present, and the present is borderline FUBAR so it’s not a great outlook.

When the gf intends on talking to me when I'm watching TV. 

1) it's never a short story, and there's always a lot of uneeded info.

2) the idea that it's impossible for me to keep track of the TV and her story at the same time, seems to escape her. 

3) it gives me headaches. 

I love her, but jesus Maria Joseph. 

25 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

When the gf intends on talking to me when I'm watching TV. 

1) it's never a short story, and there's always a lot of uneeded info.

2) the idea that it's impossible for me to keep track of the TV and her story at the same time, seems to escape her. 

3) it gives me headaches. 

I love her, but jesus Maria Joseph. 

Women eh, can’t live with them and can’t chop them up into pieces and bury them in the garden

• Haha 1

On 14/08/2020 at 21:46, lapal_fan said:

It's not, it's brilliant...

For some people, life is shit however brilliant it is for you (about which I'm genuinely glad, btw).

Edited by snowychap

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

For some people, life is shit however brilliant it is for you (about which I'm genuinely glad, btw).

I don't doubt that - I know it to be true. 

Also, my life isn't "brilliant", I'm content, but things could be much easier (in various different ways). 

But my post was more a generalised feeling on outlook at the moment.  Compared to 5/10 years ago, the feeling is generally a negative one.  It's a shame, but there are still things out there that are good for your peace of mind.  Things to enjoy, things to do and see which give you the feeling of awe and wonder.  I just look up at night to give myself perspective.  I went to the coast a couple of times last week and just got outside in a large open space and took a few breaths and just "was".  I like dreaming up things I could do in the future (always been a dreamer, never act on them though!) and I always make sure there's something in the diary to look forward to.  

I think a lot of my perception of feeling comes from things on social media/media.  People are very politicised now, people are more outspoken and often people don't have a filter, which leads to other people without filters combating them virtually, leading to a poisonous environment where no one can be a winner, but no one will back down to "save face".  Every individuals issue is the most important.  We're all overworked and underpaid (when has that not been a problem?) and we don't get enough time for ourselves.  We're all slaves to mortgages and finance and we're all working in a system which doesn't benefit the many, but the few.  It IS stressful.  But yet, we live in the safest times humanity has ever known.

But in spite of that - my point is - there is stuff out there to take your mind away from the rat race, to give you peace of mind and enjoy life - which is ultimately what it's all about. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

But my post was more a generalised feeling on outlook at the moment.

You may have meant it like that but it didn't sound like it and I'm afraid that a lot of this post doesn't, either.

See this, for instance:

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

...there are still things out there that are good for your peace of mind.  Things to enjoy, things to do and see which give you the feeling of awe and wonder.  I just look up at night to give myself perspective.  I went to the coast a couple of times last week and just got outside in a large open space and took a few breaths and just "was".  I like dreaming up things I could do in the future (always been a dreamer, never act on them though!) and I always make sure there's something in the diary to look forward to.

'There are still things out there that are good for your peace of mind' followed by a whole lot of 'I', i.e. these are things that are particular to you. They may also be particular to other people but they are not necessarily universals.

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We're all overworked

Some people are not 'overworked' at all, i.e. they don't have that work and they don't have that prospect.

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We're all slaves to mortgages

Again, no we aren't. A lot of people don't have this opportunity.

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

there is stuff out there to take your mind away from the rat race, to give you peace of mind and enjoy life

For some there is, for others there really may not be. Indeed some of these things, which may help you, often fail to help, and in some cases definitely harm and hinder, other people.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You may have meant it like that but it didn't sound like it and I'm afraid that a lot of this post doesn't, either.

See this, for instance:

'There are still things out there that are good for your peace of mind' followed by a whole lot of 'I', i.e. these are things that are particular to you. They may also be particular to other people but they are not necessarily universals.

Some people are not 'overworked' at all, i.e. they don't have that work and they don't have that prospect.

Again, no we aren't. A lot of people don't have this opportunity.

For some there is, for others there really may not be. Indeed some of these things, which may help you, often fail to help, and in some cases definitely harm and hinder, other people.

May as well give up then I guess! 🤷‍♂️

And who can't put a post across "generalising" without using their own perspective, when essentially that's alls we have?  Who has a universal perspective?  No one, it's just a feeling, which I put.  Sorry I can't address every situation on a football forum on a Monday morning.  

I thought in this topic in particular, I wouldn't have been picked apart, but there you go. 

• Like 3

May as well give up then I guess! 🤷‍♂️

That's up to you.

And who can't put a post across "generalising" without using their own perspective, when essentially that's alls we have?  Who has a universal perspective?

I think this highlights a big issue with what you posted. It is quite possible for people to try and see the world from another's perspective but it's not always easy, however it's imperative that people at least understand that other perspectives exist and thus generalising from their own viewpoint is very dodgy indeed.

I wouldn't have been picked apart

Replied to. Your post was replied to - with a one line response.

Your response to that was longer and more detailed and my subsequent response was duly longer as a result.

If you want to frame it as 'being picked apart' rather than having some of the specifics in your post addressed then go ahead but it's a bit of a silly way of replying.

Edited by snowychap

Â