Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I always imagine background music when I read some posters posts

every bicks post is read with killing in the name of ,  in my head , Mooney with working class hero , Chrisp65 has They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! , Lapal gets Psycho  killer .. blandys song alas was deleted from my memory

A **** one hit **** wonder novelty **** record about **** mental illness. **** you.

In my own mind, I was the theme tune from Bullitt.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

A **** one hit **** wonder novelty **** record about **** mental illness. **** you.

In my own mind, I was the theme tune from Bullitt.

Eeek , Is that what it’s about ?  I always assumed it was more comical sorta like turns out I’m the sane one laughing at the world and the crazy ones are coming to take me away 

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My mum literally doesn’t believe me when she tries to start a conversation about celebrity vote off shows, or coronation street or goggle box. She genuinely thinks I just say I don’t watch them to wind her up.

I’ve read three books, listened to dozens of albums and invested 200 hours in VT since Christmas. I ain’t got time for no Holby City.

Your mum sounds a bit like mine ... she’ll say did you watch strictly on sat and I’ll say no I don’t watch it .. she’ll then proceed to tell me so and so is having an affair with another so and so and that the judges gave them a perfect score ... i don’t care , I still don’t watch it and have no idea what you are talking about ...then she will say did you see Holly City has an actor in it that used to play thingy that used to be in eastenders ....  rinse and repeat for a few other tv shows 

• Like 1

Yep, if I go over their’s I’ll get the full run down on who’s dating who from whatever show is on.

I sit there thinking what a waste of a human brain. Then I come home and talk to people on twitter about football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Nope, not a clue. 

I must have mistaken you for one of the other older* VT'ers who had expressed a fondness for CJ's increasingly ridiculous "I didn't get where I am today by..."  comments on Reginald Perrin:

*old enough to have been around when the show aired

• Like 1

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I must have mistaken you for one of the other older* VT'ers who had expressed a fondness for CJ's increasingly ridiculous "I didn't get where I am today by..."  comments on Reginald Perrin:

An easy mistake to make. 

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think people that watch a lot of tv do presume everyone else also watches a lot of tv.

I’ve seen a couple of episodes of Fools and Horses and I’m aware it’s a massive cultural thing, same as Two Ronnies or Morecambe and Wise or dozens of other things. My mum literally doesn’t believe me when she tries to start a conversation about celebrity vote off shows, or coronation street or goggle box. She genuinely thinks I just say I don’t watch them to wind her up.

I’ve read three books, listened to dozens of albums and invested 200 hours in VT since Christmas. I ain’t got time for no Holby City.

Which also, I might add, is not me being culturally superior. 

Reading Absolute Beginners is no cleverer than watching Noel Edmunds open little boxes with positive vibes. It’s just different. 

This. My stance exactly. I get the reverse thing, too - people who almost refuse to believe that I like to watch European arthouse movies, or programmes about art, science, history, etc. "Where's the pleasure in THAT?" Well, I suspect it's the same pleasure they get from soaps and reality shows. It definitely isn't cultural one-upmanship. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

Older people still have this perception that calling mobiles is very expensive and to be avoided at all costs.

Very much so. Same with roaming charges. The horror in my mom's voice when she forgot I was abroad with work and called me.

Firstly, I have no roaming charges here. Secondly, you're calling me over wifi :) 

It's a bit like the texts you get from elderly relatives at 8pm on NYE because the lines might be busy later

Just now, Paddywhack said:

Very loosely related, facetime/video calling didn't take off like I thought it would.

First time I saw someone doing that in about 2009/10 I thought "well that's the end of telephone calls in a few years then".

I use it for one to ones with the offshore team I work with and thats it, nothing more and I think they would prefer me not to, I like to see the whites of their eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I always imagine background music when I read some posters posts

every bicks post is read with killing in the name of ,  in my head , Mooney with working class hero , Chrisp65 has They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! , Lapal gets Psycho  killer .. blandys song alas was deleted from my memory

Bizarrely whenever I read a post by @chrisp65 I hear it in the voice of Cerys Matthews from Catatonia (apologies Chris!) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Your mum sounds a bit like mine ... she’ll say did you watch strictly on sat and I’ll say no I don’t watch it .. she’ll then proceed to tell me so and so is having an affair with another so and so and that the judges gave them a perfect score ... i don’t care , I still don’t watch it and have no idea what you are talking about ...then she will say did you see Holly City has an actor in it that used to play thingy that used to be in eastenders ....  rinse and repeat for a few other tv shows 

My Mom is obviously nothing like anyone elses.

She's 75 (doesn't look it though), watches nothing but Netflix and Amazon, always getting me to download stuff that's not on either of those, and is a manic Family Guy fan.

In fact she even sent me an email Monday to say how hilarious the latest Family Guy was. She's nuts :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Very loosely related, facetime/video calling didn't take off like I thought it would.

First time I saw someone doing that in about 2009/10 I thought "well that's the end of telephone calls in a few years then".

My granddaughter (4) regularly calls me on WhatsApp video. That's what a phone call IS to her. One of my mates (my age) also tends to video call far more than audio only. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My granddaughter (4) regularly calls me on WhatsApp video. That's what a phone call IS to her. One of my mates (my age) also tends to video call far more than audio only. 

Hmm I think I know what's happening. People just don't want to see my face.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

People at work who answer their phone like its about to explode by the 3rd ring when you are in the middle of a conversation with them.

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I **** hate this.

Mid conversation, their phone rings and they just answer it. No "Sorry I need to take this" or "this is really important are you ok if I answer it"

Just bang! Answered. **** you

a bit late to this but it reminded  me ... often when I'm working late the cleaner turns up at the office , to say she could talk for England is an understatement , nice enough woman and I don't mind a  few minutes but sometimes I get the full its a miracle I'm still alive treatment    .. thus quite often I send a Help text to Mrs h29 from under my desk for her to call me  , she knows a incoherent text from me  is either " I'm pissed come check the ditches in the area"  , or "rescue me from the cleaner"   ..... Mrs H then rings and I have to pretend that I'm late for something and have to run  ..cleaning lady probably goes home thinking I'm a scatter brain whose always late and forgets stuff but its a small price to pay !!

so , maybe I'm not the only one who pulls this stunt  ...just saying :)

54 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I use it for one to ones with the offshore team I work with and thats it, nothing more and I think they would prefer me not to, I like to see the whites of their eyes.

Yes, but it's because they don't want to see your hideous, disfigured face :P 

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

a bit late to this but it reminded  me ... often when I'm working late the cleaner turns up at the office , to say she could talk for England is an understatement , nice enough woman and I don't mind a  few minutes but sometimes I get the full its a miracle I'm still alive treatment   o , maybe I'm not the only one who pulls this stunt  ...just saying :)

Our cleaner is the same.  On Tuesday she literally said "I should be dead by now" - and then I completely indulge her by asking her why and she never has an answer.  I think she gets surprised anyone has asked.  She also says, without fail "I shan't be in tomorrow, they (her company) don't have enough cleaners so I'll be in another building", then turns up every day. 

Then, last Xmas (2018), she puts a sign up which says on one side "caution, slippery surface" and the other side is just "caution, cleaning in progress" - so a guy comes through the office door, see's the "slippery surface" side (on a carpet) and says sarcastically to me and her "I don't think we need to worry about slipping over - on the carpet - do we?" (snarf snarf).  So after that, until September 16th 2019, every ****' work day I got "Oooo, have I put the right side (of the sign) up today?!" 

Ok Elaine, I get it, but I'm oh so tired of that joke now.. 

I should be dead by now, because I'll be killing myself with your vacuum cord if keep that shit up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, if I go over their’s I’ll get the full run down on who’s dating who from whatever show is on.

I sit there thinking what a waste of a human brain. Then I come home and talk to people on twitter about football.

I know this is the joke you're making anyway, but hard agree that sport is just soaps for middle-aged men. 

• Like 1

Play football at goals/powerleague multiple times a week, there are always kids parties on and such.

Without fail the Dads are in goals and the kids are running around. Fair enough.... but anytime either of the Dad's gets the ball all they ever do is pick the ball up and chuck it in the air to some 6 year old 15 yards away. Everytime without fail. Never once seen one of them just roll the ball out to a kids foot.

Shit Dads.

Â