Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

My parents only have a landline because of my Nan. She refuses to dial mobiles as they are "too expensive to call"

Mental thing is, my parents pay her **** phone bill anyway! 

I only have a landline because the NIMBY f***ers at the top of the village keep objecting to a phone mast on top of the hands down ugliest building in the village (A 60's prefabricated telephone exchange) and Virgin pretty much give you a line with the TV and Internet

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Even at work. If you're mid conversation with someone is it so hard to say "sorry I need to take this" instead of immediately picking it up? Takes like 2 seconds.

People can hide behind it being "more efficient", lol, but it's just rude

Well I think that, hang on the phones ringing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

On a related note, I basically never answer my front door.  Although I'm off topic with that because it definitely cheers me up.

I have a notice on my door...."no cold callers, salesmen, religious people etc" and i take great joy in pointing it out to the illiterate oik in a cheap skinny suit with his clipboard in hand; sometimes i growl at them,  sometimes I offer my glasses. It goes over their heads.

Prior to that if i had a cold caller selling shite or whatever I'd say I'm only renting this place and i have no say in double glazing or guttering improvements. Works 99.9% of the time, a treat. 

Apart from jehovah's witnesses 🙄

Football related this one... when we get to final or big day out that all of a sudden all your pals who never go all of a sudden want to. These are the same pals who forget about you for any other event or occasion! They then also want you to do all the hard work in tracking a ticket down.... only for them to turn it down in the end anyway! 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

My parents only have a landline because of my Nan. She refuses to dial mobiles as they are "too expensive to call"

Mental thing is, my parents pay her **** phone bill anyway! 

Older people still have this perception that calling mobiles is very expensive and to be avoided at all costs.

The latest series of Ray Donovan on Sky.

not the actual program (which is superb as usual) but the sound editing on several of the episodes is almost back to front, with the background noise dominating and louder than the verbals.

Don’t know whether it’s Sky or the program itself but it’s bloody frustrating and spoiling it :( 

Anyway, this one is undoubtedly 'old man shouting at clouds', but... intrusive and wildly inappropriate background music on TV documentaries. I've already said in this thread that I have a pet hate for modern music in period dramas (Peaky Blinders, Luhrman's 'Gatsby', etc.) But at at least I can see what they are trying to do. However, I was watching an arts program on my beloved BBC4 this evening - all about Boticelli's 'Birth of Venus'. They had the usual bunch of academics and artists talking to each other in their hifalutin' way - all fine, right up my street. But, pretty much constantly, in the background, there was music. Totally unnecessary anyway, but it wasn't renaissance music, or even generic inoffensive library music - it was jittery soul/jazz. Actually, stuff I'd be quite happy to listen to in its own right, but in this context it was simply painful. Had to turn it off. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t mind background music if it adds to the scene but not to the detriment of being able to hear what the characters are saying. 

Same. But that was my point: in this programme, it added absolutely nothing, except irritation. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

You must have watched Reggie Perrin?

[sigh] If I had a pound for every time I've been asked that. 

No.

With a couple of notable exceptions, I've never liked sitcoms. I saw maybe 2 or 3 eps of Rising Damp, but never one of The Rise and Fall, or whatever it was called. 

• Like 1

And I've just realised it was 76-79. I didn't own a TV at all between 1972 and 1982. Which may go some way to answering the "How do you find time to read so many books?" question. 

11 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t mind background music if it adds to the scene 

I always imagine background music when I read some posters posts

every bicks post is read with "killing in the name of " ,  in my head , Mooney with "working class hero"  , Chrisp65 has They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! , Lapal gets Psycho  killer .. blandys song alas was deleted from my memory

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 2

I think people that watch a lot of tv do presume everyone else also watches a lot of tv.

I’ve seen a couple of episodes of Fools and Horses and I’m aware it’s a massive cultural thing, same as Two Ronnies or Morecambe and Wise or dozens of other things. My mum literally doesn’t believe me when she tries to start a conversation about celebrity vote off shows, or coronation street or goggle box. She genuinely thinks I just say I don’t watch them to wind her up.

I’ve read three books, listened to dozens of albums and invested 200 hours in VT since Christmas. I ain’t got time for no Holby City.

Which also, I might add, is not me being culturally superior. 

Reading Absolute Beginners is no cleverer than watching Noel Edmunds open little boxes with positive vibes. It’s just different.

That’s something that pisses me off, people that bemoan winners of tv awards shows. Get a **** grip, what does it matter if more people think Mrs Brown is funnier than The Thick Of It. It’s a prize show.

• Thanks 1

Â