Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Sorry, is there such a thing as Union Jack radio or is that just a gammonista in joke?

OK, found it. It’s not aimed at me.

I am not going to look it up but I assumed it was shit mainstream Brit pop and "lads" music. At least one show description would involve the word banter. That's not based on Tony that's based on the name alone. 

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am not going to look it up but I assumed it was shit mainstream Brit pop and "lads" music. At least one show description would involve the word banter. That's not based on Tony that's based on the name alone. 

its the only radio station that plays Big Country

Radio 2 / Heart FM hits of the 80s/90s tend to be the only radio we listen to in car or in house :D 

Except when driving at Jeremy Vine time in which case we scramble for the switch channel to anything musicy. 

We aren't really music people obviously. Although making the effort recently to listen to spotify playlists to find some music for our wedding has been quite nice, stumbled across some lovely tracks, that balance between nice n sweet and crushingly twee and saccharine does make for a passionate judgement " love it, hate it, HATE it, like it, love it, christ no!, hmm, maybe, on the shortlist, get in the sea, " etc etc 

12 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

People at work who answer their phone like its about to explode by the 3rd ring when you are in the middle of a conversation with them.

I **** hate this.

Mid conversation, their phone rings and they just answer it. No "Sorry I need to take this" or "this is really important are you ok if I answer it"

Just bang! Answered. **** you

In fact I'm pissed off by anyone who thinks phonecalls need to be answered in general.

In the supermarket the other day a woman was mid-unpacking her shopping onto the conveyor. Her phone rings and she awkwardly answers it with stuff in one hand and her phone balanced in the other, and just says "Hi Dawn, can I call you back, I'm just at the supermarket"

Just don't **** answer it! It tells you who has called. You can phone them back in 2 minutes. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

it's just a name  , its not brexit related so won't link you to sites about the best ways to burn the EU flag or punch a  German so you'll be fine to look it up

Not sure what criteria is used to define " lad music" tbh but  the  songs on my way to work were Joy Division , David Bowie , Adam and the Ants , The Eves ( nope no idea)   ..i switched over when they played Fleetwood Mac as not a fan but got back in time for The Smiths  ... All fairly decent music that outside of VT would be "acceptable"  :)

I'm not in the car for long periods but I've not heard any banter on the show , they do sometimes play a clip from "classic" comedy shows though  ...  Absolute 80's that I sometimes listen with Dave Berry is the only banter show that I can think of , but as i say I only really do school \ work run and don't listen a lot  ..at work i listen to my own music so i can get my Big Country fix  :P

• Like 1

Suspect you don't have clients with urgent calls then. 

Not saying you have to answer mid convo. cause that's rarely needed, but saying it pisses you off that people need to answer phonecalls in general, well that's just strange. 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Suspect you don't have clients with urgent calls then. 

Not saying you have to answer mid convo. cause that's rarely needed, but saying it pisses you off that people need to answer phonecalls in general, well that's just strange. 

Assuming this was aimed at me, I thought the example was enough to clarify what I meant. I absolutely do have urgent work calls that I have to answer (although I would never answer them without apologising to the person I'm speaking to in person)

Obviously people answering urgent phonecalls doesn't really piss me off.

But someone struggling to answer their phone in an awkward situation just to immediately say "I'll call you back" pisses me off.

You don't HAVE TO answer calls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have a landline phone that doesn’t get answered. We only have it for when my dad or my wife’s mum phone us. They both have mobiles but don’t appear to understand the concept, they leave them switched off*.

So we have a landline, it takes a message and we phone back when we’ve finished our meal. They’ve clearly got some sort of food sensor on their landlines that let’s them know when we are just about to eat.

* side note, I’ve witnessed my dad take his mobile from his pocket, switch it on, text my bro a question, switch it back off, and put it back in his pocket. Then happily stand there watching the match and every now and again just say ‘well I don’t know where your brother’s got to’. If I have a message for my old man, I text my mum and get her to ask him and relay the answer back to me. It’s absolutely wilful though. He doesn’t appear to have any problem with the concept of using paypal for ordering parts online for a 1965 BSA.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

On a related note, I basically never answer my front door.  Although I'm off topic with that because it definitely cheers me up.

If you're knocking my front door you can clearly see me through the living room window. There's no avoiding it.

I can't even tell sales people that I'm too busy to chat because they've most likely just seen me eating pringles and scratching myself.

• Haha 1

My mother calls me every Sunday without fail on the landline, its the only call made or received on the landline. We could call via whatsapp, she could call my mobile phone, but no, if I am not near the phone on a s Sunday then I get an email later that day saying I mustn't have heard the phone.

Â