Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Indian call centres.

In my case it's BT. I have had a landline fault since 10th July. Openreach engineer came monday & fixed it for 10 mins now it's gone again. I switched to sky wef last Tue morning but of course, until the landline is repaired then I'm without broadband and the ability to make/receive calls.

My point is that the staff at these call centres don't think for themselves and stick to a script pretty much. Any question I raise that's even slightly off topic but still related to the original fault they just repeat themselves or say "hello"/"ok" or ask if there's anything else that they can help me with :angry:

As a result, my blood pressure is now through the roof. The angrier I was the more robotic he was and just didn't listen to my point. 

I simply dread calling these call centres now. You just know it's gonna be hassle.

I had trouble with BT last year, after over two hours of calls I finally caved and email the CEO. A few days later they replied and where very helpful. 

Call Centres:  Any utility like internet, house phone or electric etc.  A initial barrier to entry is a minimum time people can possibly be left on hold when enquiring about your product or service,  although having a queuing system would not go down well with the regulators anyway and this should be made clear from the start.  Test it by calling it and produce an average,  every minute over 5 = 0.5% of net profit or something as a fine, Don't forget while Jo Public is waiting for these words removed to answer the **** phone we could you know,  be working and spending money in the economy but these words removed literally pour millions and millions of hours down the drain. words removed.  

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

I guess I work in what you would call a call centre. But it's tech support for internal employees. We have crazy high rates of calls answered within 30 seconds (around 95% IIRC), people aren't waiting on hold and we fix over 60% things within 5 minutes.

It's a stereotype that they're awful. They're not all bad.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I guess I work in what you would call a call centre. But it's tech support for internal employees. We have crazy high rates of calls answered within 30 seconds (around 95% IIRC), people aren't waiting on hold and we fix over 60% things within 5 minutes.

Tech support for internal employees. Hence you're encouraged and given the tools to do a good job, because it's perceived as a benefit to the production levels of the company as a whole. 

That said, you are right that they're not all bad. I bank with First Direct and they are excellent. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Tech support for internal employees. Hence you're encouraged and given the tools to do a good job, because it's perceived as a benefit to the production levels of the company as a whole. 

True and we're expected to as well. Fun fact: most call centres for big business are run by Fujitsu. So we actually provide tech support for the tech support of the big companies.

Outsourcing eh

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I used to work in an internal call centre like this as well. They're managed totally differently to your average battery farming call centre. 

Turns out companies can produce miracles when a] fixing the fault immediately is in their best interest, and b] they've given the staff the training to take responsibility to try to provide an actual solution. 

Different beasts altogether. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Indian call centres.

In my case it's BT. I have had a landline fault since 10th July. Openreach engineer came monday & fixed it for 10 mins now it's gone again. I switched to sky wef last Tue morning but of course, until the landline is repaired then I'm without broadband and the ability to make/receive calls.

My point is that the staff at these call centres don't think for themselves and stick to a script pretty much. Any question I raise that's even slightly off topic but still related to the original fault they just repeat themselves or say "hello"/"ok" or ask if there's anything else that they can help me with :angry:

As a result, my blood pressure is now through the roof. The angrier I was the more robotic he was and just didn't listen to my point. 

I simply dread calling these call centres now. You just know it's gonna be hassle.

I work for BT and I hate dealing with them **** idiots. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

I walked through Redditch Town Centre yesterday.  I did a circle of the church in the middle.  I saw this 60 year old woman, in joggers, walking a dog, walking with a bloke and his pregnant girlfriend/wife. They all look rough, and the 2 that aren't pregnant look/sound like heavy smokers (not that there's anything wrong with that, but around a pregnant lady?)

So as I walk past she says "And this **** nigger comes in.." then she became inaudible.  Pretty shocked I heard that word being used as innocuously as any other word she said.

Then I pass her again "I've been **** told that unless I fill in that **** form, they'll be dropping my **** benefits.

Then finally, I pass her again "And I told her "I'm not **** cleaning that up after you, clean it up your **** self".

She seemed like a character.

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So as I walk past she says "And this **** nigger comes in.." then she became inaudible.  Pretty shocked I heard that word being used as innocuously as any other word she said.

I regularly drink in a sports club that has a lawns bowls section.  In other words the average age in the bar is about 60-65 at certain times.  I regularly hear certain members of that generation using highly insulting terms for black people, immigrants etc.  Not that particular word per se, as that one seems too egregious even for them, but pretty close to it as makes no real difference.  I think, or rather I hope, that once they're gone, the majority of that attitude will go with them.  Although obviously it won't all go.

Just now, BOF said:

I regularly drink in a sports club that has a lawns bowls section.  In other words the average age in the bar is about 60-65 at certain times.  I regularly hear that generation using highly insulting terms for black people, immigrants etc.  Not that particular word per se, as that one seems too egregious even for them, but pretty close to it as makes no real difference.  I think, or rather I hope, that once they're gone, the majority of that attitude will go with them.  Although obviously it won't all go.

I should have said that the people she was walking with, were much younger (pregnant woman looked about 33).  The bloke looked about 35.

Poor unborn bugger has no chance :( 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I should have said that the people she was walking with, were much younger (pregnant woman looked about 33).  The bloke looked about 35.

Poor unborn bugger has no chance :( 

I wonder which way they voted on Brexit ? m1703.gifm1703.gifm1703.gif

I do think there are some people (not necessarily the people mentioned) who just see words as words and don't give any meaning to them. The 'pc gone mad' people.

I know people who'll say something like, "my mate's a paki and..." or "ever been to a paki wedding, they're great".

What they're actually saying is inoffensive, replace the word with asian and it's fine. But my stomach drops when I hear words like that.

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I spend 10 minutes just rubbing my balls with the towel because it feels nice. By this point my whole body is dry #paddywhackstips

#paddywhackstipswhenhemissestheballs

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Redditch Town Centre

I used to live there for a year or so in a pub. (free rent / pool / Coke Cola etc) (Around 1999 ish)

I emigrated in less than 1 yr after living in Redditch.  

Looks like you found some not very nice people there.  Funny place,  I used to hear them go on about going to Birmingham city centre like it was half way around the world.  There are a lot of people who live there WHO never leave Redditch also,  that must be great.  Imagine that month after month.

18 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Me too and you're right. Without going into too much detail, a lot of our dedicated IT support staff were made redundant last year and their jobs took over by two big 3rd party suppliers. I, along with a few others, remained in situ but the 3rd parties simply see us as another account and have no or little appreciation of impact on our business if our systems crash. 

It's all about money of course and the bloke I'm trying to explain for the fifth time about the urgency of a problem reported to them is probably 3 times as technically qualified as me but is on a quarter of my salary.

Scary times indeed. 

Â