Jed Steer

samjp26

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Fully-fit I hope?

According to the BBC website he is fit and availableAccording to the BBC website he is fit and available

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd play him ahead of Nyland then.

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd play him ahead of Nyland then.

Some story that would be after the heroics of last season coming again and putting a similar shift in and keeping us up

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m okay with Steer in goal until Heaton’s back. Nyland and Kalinic can go. However if we end up buying a new number one, then I feel it would be unfair for Steer to be third choice, he might be better off leaving for first team football. Unless he’s happy being third choice, then he’d be a very good option for us. 

That couldn’t be any clearer could it. 

Is he actually fit? I'm sure when he got injured at Wolves people were saying he was going to be out for 2-3 months. That was November 10th!

I don't see him as much worse than Ramsdale so yeah if he's fit get him up to speed in our pre season games and give him a chance in the prem.

28 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Would love to see Steer properly given the chance to be #1, he fully deserves it. I wouldn't spend another penny on goalkeepers.

So would I. The only problem is for him to get a run of games he needs to be covered in bubble wrap and I feel that could hinder his effectiveness as a keeper.

• Haha 1

On 17/08/2020 at 13:50, AvonVillain said:

Would love to see Steer properly given the chance to be #1, he fully deserves it. I wouldn't spend another penny on goalkeepers.

I like Jed but he is nowhere close to a Premier League keeper. People like him because he doesn’t make big mistakes but he lets in goals that Nyland would save with ease. He needs to move on for the sake of his career.

We either need to go and spend some cash on a good gk if we think Heaton is done or get a short term fix until Tom is back. Someone yesterday suggested Foster on a short term deal. He would be great.

I’ve a lot of time for Steer. He’s 27 and, when given the opportunity in the first team, has done remarkably well. He has been terrifically unlucky with injuries and never got a chance to stake his claim to the number one jersey. 

He doesn’t ‘look’ like a PL goalkeeper, sure, but he didn’t look like a championship goalkeeper either. 

We have a tendency to write players off and then ask ourselves how we could have missed their talents when they move on and do well. The difference with Jed is that he has been around the club for a while and that, as a goalkeeper, he’s both ignored and under the microscope. 

Maybe I’m being sentimental. By the end of that playoff season, his swagger was just getting started, I’d love to see how much of an asshole he could become if given a go:

TL;DR: I think he’s good enough to be backup to Heaton  at least.

5316CE72-F8D5-4BC6-8FEC-446597BE37AC.jpeg

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
Autocorrect turned out number 1 goalkeeper into a well-known chef
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I like Jed but he is nowhere close to a Premier League keeper. People like him because he doesn’t make big mistakes but he lets in goals that Nyland would save with ease. He needs to move on for the sake of his career.

We either need to go and spend some cash on a good gk if we think Heaton is done or get a short term fix until Tom is back. Someone yesterday suggested Foster on a short term deal. He would be great.

Thanks for a good laugh 

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Thanks for a good laugh 

Do you disagree? There’s nothing wrong with Nylands shot stopping. He is very athletic. He has all the ability he needs. His problems are mental. Stick Jeds brain in Nylands head and you would have a very good gk

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Do you disagree? There’s nothing wrong with Nylands shot stopping. He is very athletic. He has all the ability he needs. His problems are mental. Stick Jeds brain in Nylands head and you would have a very good gk

Not true. Jed has made some absolute worldie saves in his short stint.

• Like 2

Â