Christian Benteke

Kwan

Funny Briny those Yorke goals there, Benteke scored one exactly like the first against Norwish I think and the second is just like the one he got against Palace only for the Palace gowl he had defenders in front of him too.

• Like 1

See difference between the two.

When Yorke left Gregory said he could have shot him,  and with Dwight it would only have taken a pellet gun

When benteke leaves if Lambert wants to shoot him it will take a great big f off elephant gun

• Like 1

If we're going purely on goals to games ratio in the league for Villa then Benteke is on 0.48 and Yorke had 0.31. Benteke's had to play in an inferior Villa team battling relegation every season as well, so I'm not sure why so many seem to think Benteke isn't as good. Nostalgia perhaps?

Maybe were not going on goals to game ratio for villa. I'm definately not, and if you are, that's a pretty narrow way of comparing the 2.

I'm not going entirely on goals to games but it's pretty important when talking about strikers.

If we're going purely on goals to games ratio in the league for Villa then Benteke is on 0.48 and Yorke had 0.31. Benteke's had to play in an inferior Villa team battling relegation every season as well, so I'm not sure why so many seem to think Benteke isn't as good. Nostalgia perhaps?

Ah, I thought the question was about whether we've had a better player than Benteke in the past 30 years, not whether we had someone with a better goals to game ratio. That stat, as you may recognise is a rather narrow and misleading one. Does the fact that you've had to go back to the stats to find about Yorke suggest you don't really remember him playing?

Benteke may become a player as good as Yorke was, but at present he is like an apprentice learning his trade by comparison. 

Here's a couple of clips for those who missed the joy of seeing Yorke play.

See above - strikers are there primarily to score goals and so far Benteke's ratio is phenomenal in that regard. I don't remember Yorke playing that much for Villa (I remember much more of him from his later years although I have since watched him in his Villa days) but no that's got nothing to do with it. I brought up the stats because as I said, goals are usually what strikers are judged on. Yes this is a somewhat "narrow" statistic but it's not as if Benteke's just a goal poacher - he creates many of his own goals and in a team that is undoubtedly inferior to the one Yorke played in.

Nobody needs reminding of how good Yorke was - certainly nobody's arguing that he was anything but a very very good player. All I'm saying is that I think Benteke's more talented and there's nothing wrong with that. Now if I'd said someone like Gabby was better...

Grown men arguing over who is 'better'. I thought these arguments die off when you reach puberty.

[ So for me to say Villa were better than , say Blues would be , by your standards immature ? Get a grip these forums wouldn't exist without arguments , however silly they may seem .

Or childishness tbf.

No less childish than any of the discussions in most other threads on here, not least the Paul Lambert thread.

Edited by Mantis

Benteke won't be gone next Summer unless we get a huge bid for him. He's under contract for 2 more years from then so we've no worries with that regard.

I think anything over £20 million will probably get him.

He won't want to waste another year here and we'll get even less the following summer if we force him to stay.

Problem is that money has to replace vkaar, delph and benteke.

Impossible task IMO.

See difference between the two.

When Yorke left Gregory said he could have shot him,  and with Dwight it would only have taken a pellet gun

When benteke leaves if Lambert wants to shoot him it will take a great big f off elephant gun

dunno i be shocked if Lerner gave him the money to buy bullets ;)

• Like 3

Benteke won't be gone next Summer unless we get a huge bid for him. He's under contract for 2 more years from then so we've no worries with that regard.

He won't want to waste another year here and we'll get even less the following summer if we force him to stay.

Impossible task IMO.

We might end up hoping Okore develops as hoped, Delph doesn't need a direct replacement but an attacking midfielder is desperately needed.  How the hell are we meant to replace our Christian though?  Need to uncover and untapped gem again don't we.

The comparisons with Yorke are a way off they are completely different. Especially when you think that it was only later in his villa career that Yorke was played as the main striker. Also Yorke was brought for a bag of bibs and some balls.

Both players are/were great and shouldn't be compared just enjoyed. Benteke like Yorke will leave for bigger and better things.

Grown men arguing over who is 'better'. I thought these arguments die off when you reach puberty.

Bit like grown men arguing over which manager would be better?

Yep, it's the same little boys in that thread with nothing better to do - like hobbies or girlfriends - arguing about the same thing. Over. And over. And over.

Unfortunately contracts mean very little now, CV, if the player wants to go.

I remember being on the verge of tears when I heard Yorke was leaving. I was still a naive 12 year old who genuinely thought nobody would ever leave Villa.

I wouldn't cry if Benteke left

Therefore, due to my sound and reasoned logic, yorke was better.

Ah, I thought the question was about whether we've had a better player than Benteke in the past 30 years, not whether we had someone with a better goals to game ratio. That stat, as you may recognise is a rather narrow and misleading one. Does the fact that you've had to go back to the stats to find about Yorke suggest you don't really remember him playing?

Benteke may become a player as good as Yorke was, but at present he is like an apprentice learning his trade by comparison. 

Here's a couple of clips for those who missed the joy of seeing Yorke play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3oP-dF2O-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6RwuH5ELHE

I miss those Reebok shirts, class.

Impossible task IMO.

Not if we hire Crystal Palace scouts

Impossible task IMO.

Nah, no way we'll sell a player who get's a goal every 2 games in the Premier League for a struggling side for 20 million when he has 2 years on his contract left. 

It's 30 million next summer or he stays.

Unfortunately contracts mean very little now, CV, if the player wants to go.

We just do what we did last time. We put a price tag on him, they have until pre season to match it otherwise he stays. regardless of how much he wants to leave he can't force the club to sell him below our valuation. Suarez left Liverpool but they got their price for him. 

I remember being on the verge of tears when I heard Yorke was leaving. I was still a naive 12 year old who genuinely thought nobody would ever leave Villa.

I wouldn't cry if Benteke left

Therefore, due to my sound and reasoned logic, yorke was better.

I was about 16 and a Tottenham supporting teacher told me Yorke was leaving (with a big grin on his face) during a school cricket match. I was batting at the time and I threw my bat on the floor and walked off the pitch in a huff.

Rational times...

• Like 4

Impossible task IMO.

Nah, no way we'll sell a player who get's a goal every 2 games in the Premier League for a struggling side for 20 million when he has 2 years on his contract left.

It's 30 million next summer or he stays.

Hopefully.

In a dream world get taken over by the types of owners who convince him to stay and we add quality around him.

Impossible task IMO.

Not if we hire Crystal Palace scouts

The ones who signed  Andy Johnson, Haangeland, James MCarthur, Campbell, Jimmy Kebe, Bannan, Chamakh, Marriappa, Guediora, AJ, Kevin Doyle, Hennessey?

Nah, you're alright mate.

Â