Christian Benteke

Kwan

Yorke and Benteke are 2 great strikers from 2 different eras and impossible to judge, We should just appreciate and be happy we were lucky to have both at the club 

It's not really, Yorke was miles better than Benteke is now. Alex Ferguson said that Yorke was the best striker in Europe the year Man Utd. won the treble. He was a terrific player who could do everything. It's just a shame that once they won the treble he lost motivation and became a full time party-boy rather than focus on being a truly great player.

Benteke has a lot of potential but he still needs to improve if he is going to be a real top striker. His workrate is definitely one thing he needs to improve IMO, he can be incredibly lazy in games.

• Like 2

Yorke and Benteke are 2 great strikers from 2 different eras and impossible to judge, We should just appreciate and be happy we were lucky to have both at the club 

It's not really, Yorke was miles better than Benteke is now. Alex Ferguson said that Yorke was the best striker in Europe the year Man Utd. won the treble. He was a terrific player who could do everything. It's just a shame that once they won the treble he lost motivation and became a full time party-boy rather than focus on being a truly great player.

Benteke has a lot of potential but he still needs to improve if he is going to be a real top striker. His workrate is definitely one thing he needs to improve IMO, he can be incredibly lazy in games.

I know we kind of joke about it but he really does have a "beast mode" that only surfaces at certain points in the game.

It sometimes like someone has flicked a switch and he turns into this unstoppable snarling monster until he scores then he settles down again.

If only we knew his trigger because when this happens it is absolutely glorious to watch. and presumably terrifying for defenders

he can be incredibly lazy in games.

I know we kind of joke about it but he really does have a "beast mode" that only surfaces at certain points in the game.

If only we knew his trigger...

It's his work rate IMO. He's much more effective when his working rate is high closing down players and putting pressure on. I think he just gets frustrated when he's not getting chances or the ball and switches off.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Certainly not by comparing "Goals to games" ratios as one poster proposed!

I never tried to argue that goals to game ratio is the be all and end all but I fail to see how it isn't at least partially relevant? Would you be saying the same thing if the goal stats were in Yorke's favour?

He is, and if he can work on his game and combine those moments of individual brilliance into a more consistent all-round performance, one day he'll deserve to be regarded as good as Yorke or maybe better.

My worry is that we won't see the benefits of that improvement at Villa because he'll be off soon to a CL side.

• Like 1

Both have scored 19 league goals in their best seasons for us. The difference is Yorke did that in a side that finished 4th, Benteke in a side that finished 15th.

I would love to see a Yorke type forward play off Benteke, what a strike force that would be.

One small Argentine aside, Benteke is by far and away the best out and out centre forward in the league.

• Like 1

he'll be off soon to a CL side.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs or Liverpool make a big bid for him next summer. They both badly need a player like him.

he said Champions League ;)

As much as it's depressing to have the subject come up over and over again, I don't know that having to sell him will necessarily be a total disaster, given our finances.

For what we could get for him (assuming he performs well enough to earn a big money move, which we expect he will), we'll be able to buy a decent AM and a decent-ish replacement. That might leave us better off than we are right now, with him having to do it all on his own. If the owner chips in with another ten million as he did last transfer window, we could pick up a good winger as well.

• Like 1

Â