Christian Benteke

Kwan

I really worry the way we set up is not heping him, an we need to change a.s.a.p if we want any chance of keeping him here. If he keeps having to feed off scraps and hang about with no service (like the Palace game) he won't want to be here. We need to start setting up to his strengths, with decent service he could be a prolific goal scorer an thats obviously what he wants to prove himself. Its no good at the moment him staying here scraping for 10 goals a season, when elsewhere he could double maybe triple that with decent service.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

Excellent again today despite no goal.

My only criticism is he let the ball get away from him a few times towards the end when we could have done with him holding it up and relieving some pressure.

Minor point though. He was excellent otherwise.

• Like 1

His passing was great. He set up Cleverly and Hutton perfectly. Cleverly really should have finished that pass.

Benteke was good, but not as efficient as he should. Wasted many chances, created some too.

I really worry the way we set up is not heping him, an we need to change a.s.a.p if we want any chance of keeping him here. If he keeps having to feed off scraps and hang about with no service (like the Palace game) he won't want to be here. We need to start setting up to his strengths, with decent service he could be a prolific goal scorer an thats obviously what he wants to prove himself. Its no good at the moment him staying here scraping for 10 goals a season, when elsewhere he could double maybe triple that with decent service.

Not creating chances, he could easily have had a hat-trick yesterday. I think this thought that you want Benteke in the box and we just give him crosses and through balls is a myth. If that's the case why doesn't he score loads of goals for Belgium? Even yesterday Cissokho put in a great cross, and if Benteke had slid in, he'd have scored. We play the same formation that Belgium play, him being the focus of the attack, thing we did better is we got the ball to his feet alot more and that pass to Hutton is something Lukaku could never do IMO.

Frank Worthington

It's an example I use whenever I see a player basically trying to do too much and I think that concerned me about Benteke yesterday,  basically tried to do everything.

Frank Worthington? Well in the late 70's I saw him play for sha and he had to do everything,  free kick,  corner ,  throw in even goal kick onecI think.  It was basically him or no one and my worry with CB was he was trying too much

I would like to think as a club we would want to try to hold onto Benteke by buying a few players of the right quality to play alongside him during this and the next window. But I suspect he will be gone during those next windows albeit having secured our status with his goals before his sadly inevitable departure. 

Benteke has made it clear from the first moment he joined us that he would be off the moment he got an offer from a top team.

It is pointless to think of anything other than the money we can get for him and what we can do with that money.

Frank Worthington

It's an example I use whenever I see a player basically trying to do too much and I think that concerned me about Benteke yesterday,  basically tried to do everything.

Frank Worthington? Well in the late 70's I saw him play for sha and he had to do everything,  free kick,  corner ,  throw in even goal kick onecI think.  It was basically him or no one and my worry with CB was he was trying too much

90% on hear will be scratching their heads - Frank Who???

He was one hell of a player mind, even if he did play for SHA

I know what you are saying Steve but there's a danger there that without him we become even more lost and without ideas.  I'd just like others to take a bit of the pressure off him is what I think I mean

Â