Christian Benteke

Kwan

For what we could get for him (assuming he performs well enough to earn a big money move, which we expect he will), we'll be able to buy a decent AM and a decent-ish replacement.

decent & decent-ish won't keep us in the league.

decent & decent-ish would get us mid table. To get relegated from the premier league you need awful & worse

As much as it's depressing to have the subject come up over and over again, I don't know that having to sell him will necessarily be a total disaster, given our finances.

For what we could get for him (assuming he performs well enough to earn a big money move, which we expect he will), we'll be able to buy a decent AM and a decent-ish replacement. That might leave us better off than we are right now, with him having to do it all on his own. If the owner chips in with another ten million as he did last transfer window, we could pick up a good winger as well.

Provided..... we spend the money wisely....and for me its a big IF.

We just have to hope in such a circumstance that we do not repeat what Spurs have done with the Bale Money.

id rather see Benteke go and we re invest the money rather than him stay and be surrounded by shite

There is definitely an argument to do that so we're not so reliant on one player.

However seeing what happened with Spurs and Liverpool with Bale and Suarez respectively makes me think that Villa would end up signing a couple more Tonev and Syllas. Especially considering that their scouting networks will be vastly superior to ours yet they still ended up with only a couple of decent players between them. 

I think I'd rather have a proven premier league goalscorer and a team of cloggers than have an average team with no stand out strengths or weaknesses.

Spurs and Liverpool are two examples where selling the star player hasn't worked out.

Newcastle and Southampton on the other hand have been fairly successful selling some of their better players and then re-investing.

Personally I would like us to keep Benteke but spend wisely in buying better players to create chances for him (starting with spending that £8m ear marked for Cleverly on a winger or creative player)

Comparisons to Bale and Suarez are apt. Apt because, as in those cases, we wouldn't have actually have a choice about selling Benteke. When the time comes, the choice won't be between 'sell him' and 'keep him', it will be between 'sell him and then re-invest the money in other players' or 'sell him and don't bother re-investing the money'. 

• Like 1

I would like to think as a club we would want to try to hold onto Benteke by buying a few players of the right quality to play alongside him during this and the next window. But I suspect he will be gone during those next windows albeit having secured our status with his goals before his sadly inevitable departure. 

I would like to think as a club we would want to try to hold onto Benteke by buying a few players of the right quality to play alongside him during this and the next window. But I suspect he will be gone during those next windows albeit having secured our status with his goals before his sadly inevitable departure. 

Like we did with Barry,  Milner,  Downing and Young?

• Like 1

The problem we have with Benteke is that if we do keep him this summer, his price will go down as he winds down the final 2 years of his contract. (a la Delph/Vlaar)

As fans, we don't care about this because what we want is to keep our star striker. The club on the other hand will view it as a business decision and will take this into account should any offers come in.

The other factor is that if Benteke goes on a run that we all know he's capable of then other clubs will certainly come sniffing. Any one of the top 4 show real interest and we won't be able to stop him going. On top of that, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton would all take some stopping in my opinion.

I personally believe he will go in the summer, I just hope its abroad or 2nd best, to a top 4 club. I would hate to loose him to Spurs, Liverpool or Everton.

Â