Christian Benteke

Kwan

Too early to compare yorke to Benteke! Yorke achieved a hell of a lot and was one of the top strikers in Europe when at united.

However, Benteke is without dout head and shoulders above Carew.

The goal is very good.

Truly phenomanal is a bit ott tho IMO.

I don't know, Carew in his Valencia days were unplayable. Benteke needs more years before we can start to compare him to Carew. Carew were good for us yes, but for Valencia and Lyon he were a machine.

For me he was the same for all 3 clubs. Unplayable when he could be arsed. That's what let him down, and ultimately us. Had he been arsed 100% of the time, and not faking injuries (by all accounts) we could have got top four.

Alot of you are happy with lambert playing this type of football to get the odd result and keep us in the league, which is great. But the negative is, we are even less likely to keep Benteke if we continue to play this awful defensive style.  I think he looked frustrated after the game and its getting me worried already. He needs the service, its no good him feeding of scraps every game to score, he will never be happy with this.

Im gonna be blunt, were shite last night, the only shining light being our man Benteke, who to be fair would keep Burnley in the league.

Cannot speak for others, but I am one of those who are happy to get a result in any way needed.

I do not like crap football, and I agree that's what's being served by Villa at the moment, and has been for some time now.

My reasoning is that we are in a kind of a transition phase, where we are waiting for a new owner to come in and show us a new direction. Until then we hang on to a PL seat. Whatever it takes.

Grown men arguing over who is 'better'. I thought these arguments die off when you reach puberty.

[ So for me to say Villa were better than , say Blues would be , by your standards immature ? Get a grip these forums wouldn't exist without arguments , however silly they may seem .

If we're going purely on goals to games ratio in the league for Villa then Benteke is on 0.48 and Yorke had 0.31. Benteke's had to play in an inferior Villa team battling relegation every season as well, so I'm not sure why so many seem to think Benteke isn't as good. Nostalgia perhaps?

Grown men arguing over who is 'better'. I thought these arguments die off when you reach puberty.

[ So for me to say Villa were better than , say Blues would be , by your standards immature ? Get a grip these forums wouldn't exist without arguments , however silly they may seem .

Or childishness tbf.

• Like 1

Let's be honest Yorke (spit) Carew, Benteke were/are brillant players on their day. For me Yorke had fewer off days and that for me is where Benteke can improve.

Really pleased to have Benteke back but he will not be here much longer although Lambert would be mad to sell him in January I doubt we could keep him for next season. Losing Delph isn't the end of the world and as for Vlaar I still don't rate him so again for me no loss there but Benteke will be almost impossible to get a like for like replacement and we don't have anyone at the club even close to being ready to replace him.

Can Lambert unearth another Benteke? I very much doubt it as non of his other signings have come anywhere near being good enough but at least we will get a decent return on Benteke, probably the only signing Lambert has made that will net us a profit.

If we're going purely on goals to games ratio in the league for Villa then Benteke is on 0.48 and Yorke had 0.31. Benteke's had to play in an inferior Villa team battling relegation every season as well, so I'm not sure why so many seem to think Benteke isn't as good. Nostalgia perhaps?

Maybe were not going on goals to game ratio for villa. I'm definately not, and if you are, that's a pretty narrow way of comparing the 2.

Alot of you are happy with lambert playing this type of football to get the odd result and keep us in the league, which is great. But the negative is, we are even less likely to keep Benteke if we continue to play this awful defensive style.  I think he looked frustrated after the game and its getting me worried already. He needs the service, its no good him feeding of scraps every game to score, he will never be happy with this.

Im gonna be blunt, were shite last night, the only shining light being our man Benteke, who to be fair would keep Burnley in the league.

Yep, pretty much. A reason why Benteke didn't play particulary well was that he didn't get any service. He had to do EVERYTHING on his own, and he actually did. Seems like our approach, or Lambert's i should say is "Give the big guy the ball and let's see what happens".

An average team relying on their best player to win them games?

No, surely not?

Lambert Out!

• Like 2

Yorke didn't play as a striker in his early days, and I am sure many were sub appearances as a youngster?

Before my time like, so I could be wrong.

Yorke didn't play as a striker in his early days, and I am sure many were sub appearances as a youngster?

Before my time like, so I could be wrong.

I think I saw his first game and he came on as a sub in midfield and was 17 or something similar. Anyway definitely started his career in midfield. 

Benteke is a very different type of player so it's a bit oranges and apples. Personally I'd say Benteke has the build and ability to be a devastating striker for a top team playing Champions League football in the near future, a level Yorke got to, but as a striker in the modern game I think Benteke will be better if nothing seriously bad happens. 

As a PLAYER though, in general, I'd say Yorke was the more complete player. Just a shame he had other distractions after winning stuff with United or his record woudl have been far better. Still though, very fond memories of Yorke in claret and blue.

Benteke has not played enough games to make any reasonable comparison.

• Like 1

I think we'll get decent money but there is Sweet FA chance he will be here next season. Far too good for where we are as a club, will want to better himself and you can't blame him as we've shown no desire to build the club in his time here.

Just need to enjoy him while we have the chance.

• Like 1

The problem with the Benteke situation is the better he plays, the less likely we are to see him in a Villa shirt long-term.

I think this is the reason that Gabby will be a Villa player for the rest of his career - if he produced his best on a more consistent basis, he would've been snapped up a long time ago.

IMO Benteke's injury problems last season are the main reason he is still a Villa player, and as long as he stays injury-free then this will be his final season in Claret and Blue.

Let's just hope he has an absolutely phenomenal season, scores the goals that bump us up the league, and we sell him for a massive fee in the summer.

• Like 1

Ah, I thought the question was about whether we've had a better player than Benteke in the past 30 years, not whether we had someone with a better goals to game ratio. That stat, as you may recognise is a rather narrow and misleading one. Does the fact that you've had to go back to the stats to find about Yorke suggest you don't really remember him playing?

Benteke may become a player as good as Yorke was, but at present he is like an apprentice learning his trade by comparison. 

Here's a couple of clips for those who missed the joy of seeing Yorke play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3oP-dF2O-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6RwuH5ELHE

Â