Christian Benteke

Kwan

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Again I find it bemusing that Palace gave him another year on his contract not long ago that commits them to paying him another £5-6m.  It only makes sense to me if they did it to sell him pretty quickly for a fee rather than let him leave on a free transfer.

This. Whole point of additional year was so they wouldnt make a huge loss on him. Think they lost hope with him a long time ago, but felt they could at least recoup some of their outlay to some random Turkish club or whatever

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Very true.

But should we be aiming to sign someone who is simply "better than no striker at all"

Or should we be trying to sign someone a bit better.

If it wasn't for the fact he'd played for us, we'd be absolutely livid at the suggestion of signing Benteke.

Pretty much. If Benteke ends up as being the only striker we sign, well, we're going straight back down.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty much. If Benteke ends up as being the only striker we sign, well, we're going straight back down.

Unless he hits the ground running and is as good as he was for us previously.

But I think that would be a miracle.

If Benteke does sign, he gets my full backing. With the talent we have on the wings, he will score but more importantly, his hold up play is a lot more rounded than Wesley's and that could be more vital than his goals in allowing us to get up the pitch and starting playing more in the final third.

I'd get him signed, not because I think he will be the Benteke of old - the guy is anti goals.

I'd get him signed as we need 2 strikers, and probably this is the best we are going to get unless all the dominos fall on deadline day.

Don't think we are in a position to be picky at this point.

6 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

If Benteke does sign, he gets my full backing. With the talent we have on the wings, he will score but more importantly, his hold up play is a lot more rounded than Wesley's and that could be more vital than his goals in allowing us to get up the pitch and starting playing more in the final third.

What talent?

El Ghazi is ok. Trezeguet is awful.

Agree about the holdup play, but I still think we should be aiming higher than Benteke.

But of course, like you, he'd get my full support if he signed. And I'd be hoping as much as anyone that we get the old Benteke back!

• Like 1

Â