Christian Benteke

Kwan

12 minutes ago, sne said:

The good people at the mail has done some top notch journalism work and used Football Manager to see how a loan of Benteke would pan out.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/christian-benteke-aston-villa-transfer-17565844

Well done, well done.

Slow week on the transfer front I guess...

Love this....

Boss I’ve got an idea for an article!

Can I play my favourite computer game for Xx hours and summarise the out outcome?

Why not we’ve got nothing else to report on!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Why is this news?! Utterly hopeless as a newspaper, why do they still exist? 

I mean it would be a cute little paper filler if they also did actual good journalistic work.

But from my (granted very limited) experience of their work it's about as good as it gets. 

If we can get him on loan, not have to pay full wages etc its a win win because at the moment we are a decent way down poo poo creek without so much as a foam finger!

Edited by birdman

Is this purely supporter speculation or is it gaining traction because there's some truth to the notion?

Not the worst we could do, I don't think anyway, he's was a very good finisher, capable in the air and reasonable with it at his feet.

I just wonder about the supply he would be receiving, not that I'm dubious about it, just that it would be a different system than we saw under Wes.

6 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

From the stats, he's still good in air. That alone would improve us. I'd definitely take him on loan with these circumstances. Good proven strikers aren't cheap, and it's not easy to find any of then on loan.

What if he's on 80k on current contract until mid 2021. I assume they not paying him 120k anymore. You want to pay double what most of highest earners in our team are on for a player with 4 league goals in last 3533 minutes in 2 and a half seasons? 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

What if he's on 80k on current contract until mid 2021. I assume they not paying him 120k anymore. You want to pay double what most of highest earners in our team are on for a player with 4 league goals in last 3533 minutes in 2 and a half seasons? 

I don't think the new contracts of the likes of Jack or McGinn are less than 40k actually. Then I don't think we'll pay all of Benteke's wages. Even then we'll only pay them for another 4 months, it won't be that loss actually.

About his stats, I haven't been following, but from the couple of minutes I've seen he seem to be really low in terms of confidence. He's still good on air, I think he'd be helpful. Mostly because we're dire upfront. We need anything.

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don't think the new contracts of the likes of Jack or McGinn are less than 40k actually. Then I don't think we'll pay all of Benteke's wages. Even then we'll only pay them for another 4 months, it won't be that loss actually.

About his stats, I haven't been following, but from the couple of minutes I've seen he seem to be really low in terms of confidence. He's still good on air, I think he'd be helpful. Mostly because we're dire upfront. We need anything.

We're not dire up front. 28 goals is 9th best in the league. 43 conceded is 19th. 18th only 39 conceded

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Interesting fact. Last season top 3 winners of Aerial battles were Mitrovic, Morrison,and Mounie.

Fulham, Cardiff, and Huddersfield all got relegated

Cardiff were playing above their standard, They've done well.

We haven't scored any goal by head (apart from the disallowed one by Jack at Burnley). Last season (or the one before) we were the most team to score from set pieces down in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not dire up front. 28 goals is 9th best in the league. 43 conceded is 19th. 18th only 39 conceded

Yes we're scoring, but in terms of the quality upfront, it's not that good. Reasonable stats by our wingers, but there isn't any consistency. We're short upfront at the moment (let alone the quality). If we can get some deal better than Benteke then I'd be happy. But I'd prefer getting Benteke than no one, or any bad choices here or there.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Yes we're scoring, but in terms of the quality upfront, it's not that good. Reasonable stats by our wingers, but there isn't any consistency. We're short upfront at the moment (let alone the quality). If we can get some deal better than Benteke then I'd be happy. But I'd prefer getting Benteke than no one, or any bad choices here or there.

We score as we do because for the most part we have employed an attacking 4-3-3 and committed between 5-8 men into the attacking half and final third to support attacks.

The whole team supports build up play and passing sequences require player rotations and overlaps that allow us more options to occupy enemy territory and create a chance.

Unfortunately it's this approach that has meant we are caught on the back foot and concede chances so readily too, as any transition leaves us exposed from getting men up field.

With such an emphasis on ball retention in attacking areas, if we fail to achieve that, then our game plan isn't holding much of a grip in the game, and we can't impose ourselves.

We actually play more crosses per match than most teams, we're 5th for crosses per match, despite them making up 5% of our passes played per match.

Benteke might actually be a viable option, given that he can win aerial battles, trap a pass and control it with his upper and lower body, and can finish excellently on his day.

I don't see it happening at all for a number of reasons but if this does have traction beyond supporter speculation then I'd be interested to see if Smith can revive a career for him.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Benteke hasn't scored more than 4 in last 2 and half seasons because of lack of service at Palace. He's just crap and people need to move on for the sake of our PL survival

I think you need to move on @Kiwivillan

Everyone has got the message.  There is no need to keep repeating it day after day multiple times. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think you need to move on @Kiwivillan

Everyone has got the message.  There is no need to keep repeating it day after day multiple times. 

Yeah you right. I don't **** care anymore. Bring him in. To **** with progression. Nostalgia and throw logic out the window

Â