Christian Benteke

Kwan

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

If we finish the window with only Benteke signing up front, we've **** up.

I think the damage was done in the summer. The whole world knew we were striker light. - always going to be difficult to patch that in the Jan window 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

But that £120m has gone. In pure finance terms why make it worse by chucking another £25m at a striker.

Finance decisions are made on future spend not past. - that's how finance people think.

I don’t understand your point. Surely you don’t think we buying an old Benteke for 25m?

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

As long as stays fit, the fans get behind him and Jack keeps creating chances he will find his scoring boots again. He won't be scoring goals like the one against Crystal palace where he ran from half way anymore but he is still effective, long balls will stick better than they did to Wesley.

He's constantly injured and Roy Hodgson is not a crap manager yet Benteke has 2 goals since April 2018. You guys are nothing short of delusional

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Elton said:

I don’t understand your point. Surely you don’t think we buying an old Benteke for 25m?

No - I mean we aren't going throw £25m (for example) at a striker chasing the salvation of our PL status. (CB is the budget option)

They are going to keep the finances tight (ish) - and if that means relegation so be it.

Edited by hippo

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

How long is he actually injured for?

We actually need a striker in the Brighton and Watford games. Those two and Bournemouth 10 days later will be season defining.

Maybe he isn't injured - and is in talks - but agree we need for those two games.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

No - I mean we aren't going throw £25m (for example) at a striker chasing the salvation of our PL status. (CB is the budget option)

They are going to keep the finances tight (ish) - and if that means relegation so be it.

Maybe, I guess we’ll see. Problem is Wesley (if you rate him or not) will need to be replaced in the summer anyway, as he probably won’t be fit for the start of next season. As such it would make sense to bring forward a bit of the summer budget now and also improve our chances of staying up. The issue is persuading clubs to sell quality forwards in January, so even if we wanted to spend big we may not be able to. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's missed the last 4 games listed as injured

I wasn't aware of that. For where we are I thinks it's a decent punt. But there is a lot going against it actually happening.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I wasn't aware of that. For where we are I thinks it's a decent punt. But there is a lot going against it actually happening.

It's a horrific punt that I'm convinced would send us down. Besides the fact he hasn't scored **** all in 2 and a half seasons he's badly injury prone. I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills that wants him in. It's absolute madness

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's a horrific punt that I'm convinced would send us down. Besides the fact he hasn't scored **** all in 2 and a half seasons he's badly injury prone. I feel like everyone is taking crazy pills that wants him in. It's absolute madness

Agreed. 

This is pure nostalgia and destined to fail imo.

Is he trolling?

Too many things lining up now though... As we all know, could be total smokescreen and we end up with Cavani 

FB_IMG_1578780872360.jpg

To be fair I find "coming home" talk a bit cringe unless it's the likes of Marc Albrighton.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I take your point. But perhaps we are out of feasible other options. - we don't know what else is on the table.

Just now, hippo said:

I take your point. But perhaps we are out of feasible other options. - we don't know what else is on the table.

There has to be hundreds of strikers out there that I've never even heard of that would be a better shout. Hell, I'd take some of the players in the Australian league in a heartbeat over him

Smith said that there's a possibility of us signing two strikers, we were going to sign one before Wesley's injury, so it makes sense that now we'd want two. We're not in a positon to be signing two star strikers, so it's inevitable one of the two will be underwhelming to some, either because it's a punt from the lower leagues, or from somewhere like Belgium or France, or a premier league player that's been out of form and surplus to requirements at his current club. If Benteke does come it will most likey just be a loan to give us an extra option from the bench, he's better than any striker we currently have, and if we do sign two strikers it won't be easy to sign two better than him.

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

OK, so seriously - how is this punt going to take us down? Is he really any worse than nobody?

Not having strikers from injury so getting/gambling on one that's high chance to get injured (besides complete lack of form)

Edited by Kiwivillan

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is he trolling?

Too many things lining up now though... As we all know, could be total smokescreen and we end up with Cavani 

FB_IMG_1578780872360.jpg

To be fair I find "coming home" talk a bit cringe unless it's the likes of March Albrighton.

No way we can get March Albrighton in January. 

• Haha 1

Having him back would give the whole place a lift, probably the closest you can get to new manager bounce without a new manager, Benteke would feed off that and Metamorphosis back into his old self. I've long felt that he could well be bargain for a team willing to rescue him from his Palace ordeal, put him in a side that creates chances and he'll score goals, I've no doubt about that.

• Like 4

Â