Christian Benteke

Kwan

Not sure if signing him is good idea or not.

Pro

1Was brilliant for us for 3 seasons,great relationship with fans.

2 Very good in the air,something we have problems with defensively and offensivelyand we cross the ball into the box a lot.

3 The celebration when he scores his first goal in front of Holte End

4  Out of the names we have been linked with eg Rudy Gestede etc seems best option.

5If we get him playing to 80% of the player he was with us ,we stay up.

Con

1Very poor recent goal return,lots of injuries .

2 Does he suit our style of play,is he too slow?

3Wages ,he is on £110,000 a week currently our highest earner is Heaton on £40,000.I can’t see us buying him with a loan more likely.

I saw him play for Palace about 3 weeks ago and I thought he looked good in patches.

Still not sure but only makes sense if we sign another striker with a lot of pace.

Edited by Londonastonvilla

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

In 2016/17 he won 9 (NINE) headers per 90 for Palace. 7 man of the match awards on whoscored, for whatever that's worth. I seem to remember him being good and i follow palace fans who loved him, but we were in the Championship at the time tbf.

I'm not saying he was shit after his injury just that he wasn't the same player. After his Achilles injury he was noticeably slower and that limited the scope of what he could do on the football pitch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not saying he was shit after his injury just that he wasn't the same player. After his Achilles injury he was noticeably slower and that limited the scope of what he could do on the football pitch.

Fair enough. Was still a bloody good player though. It's the knees that have done for him, but he's still deadly in the air and he's still a battering ram. If he can find his finishing and we can keep him fit, he has a decent chance to be better than Wesley. 

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair enough. Was still a bloody good player though. It's the knees that have done for him, but he's still deadly in the air and he's still a battering ram. If he can find his finishing and we can keep him fit, he has a decent chance to be better than Wesley

4 **** goals in 2 and a half seasons

• Like 1

Utterly baffling decision if true. What happened to the fabled plan? Signing washed up has beens in the hope they might find the form of years gone by to keep us up. Suicide.

• Like 2

Ok seeming like a go-er with the Jack and Gabby comments. People talk about ITKs but surely nobody more ITK than them.

Seems a very surprising decision. If he’s one of two I’m relaxed. Given how little Smith trusts/likes Kodjia it’s difficult to see Benteke having less on an impact in PL games than Kodj as he never played.

If he’s the main choice, then it’s buckle up time as it’s a helava punt when you’ve already invested £120m and have all future PL revenues on the line. 

I would be OK with this signing given our current centre forward options but current Benteke is a downgrade from Wesley.

Benteke was also very much a confidence player for us, he had great hot spells but also long stone cold spells, when he was very poor,  including being dropped by Lambert. 

I hope if he does sign he is one of two forwards to do so but beggars can’t be choosers in January. I wouldn’t go near him in a summer window.

Edited by Elton

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Utterly baffling decision if true. What happened to the fabled plan? Signing washed up has beens in the hope they might find the form of years gone by to keep us up. Suicide.

There are no plans - there's broad principles you stick to - for example not racking up credit card debt - but your car breaks down in the middle of no where ??? - outcomes the credit card.

Plans are all talk. 

20 minutes ago, jim said:

We're in a bit of a desperate situation tbf. January is an awful window to do the work we need to do.

16 minutes ago, Elton said:

I would be OK with this signing given our current centre forward options but current Benteke is a downgrade from Wesley.

Benteke was also very much a confidence player for us, he had great hot spells but also long stone cold spells, when he was very poor,  including being dropped by Lambert. 

I hope if he does sign he is one of two forwards to do so but beggars can’t be choosers in January. I wouldn’t go near him in a summer window.

But that £120m has gone. In pure finance terms why make it worse by chucking another £25m at a striker.

Finance decisions are made on future spend not past. - that's how finance people think.

1 minute ago, HAL said:

if benteke is our main target I worry about our future 

I still don't see how it can come to fruition. They wouldn't loan him to us ? - and what would they want in terms of a fee ? 

This one got a way to run yet.

Â