Christian Benteke

Kwan

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

OK, so seriously - how is this punt going to take us down? Is he really any worse than nobody?

I think people are focusing on the two extremes

1.CB comes is a total flop doesn't score , gets injured - we get relegated.

2.He recapture s his old villa form and blasts us away from the RZ.

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. IMO a £30m proven goal getter isn't an option for us. - who ever we bring in - it's going to be squeaky bum time between now and may.

• Like 2

I'm with @KiwiVillain on this, Benteke would be a horrendous backward step,.  If he hadn't played for us previously, and we were linked with a shit Palace forward who had scored a couple of goals in three years, people would be apoplectic. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If we finish the window with only Benteke signing up front, we've **** up.

Yep, we'd be ****, scored 3 league goals in 2 and a half years, that's awful. I remember laughing at Liverpool fans when they were creaming themselves at Fowler returning, thought the same about Newcastle fans RE Carroll. These things seldom workout.

This will not be like when Klinsmann went back to Spurs. Benteke looks pretty much shot at this level.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep, we'd be ****, scored 3 league goals in 2 and a half years, that's awful. I remember laughing at Liverpool fans when they were creaming themselves at Fowler returning, thought the same about Newcastle fans RE Carroll. These things seldom workout.

This will not be like when Klinsmann went back to Spurs. Benteke looks pretty much shot at this level.

He didn't look too bad against Brighton last month, hit the post with a cross/genius lob.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Giroud had only scored five league goals in the last three seasons

9 in just under 2000 minutes. He scored 7 in 17/18 season. Benteke has 4 in around 3500 minutes

Giroud also scored 14 goals and 5 assists in 20 games in Europe in that period

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

How long is he actually injured for?

We actually need a striker in the Brighton and Watford games. Those two and Bournemouth 10 days later will be season defining.

Hodgson was super vague about it. All he said was that he was improving and hopefully he won't be out for too long.

24 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/highlights/crystal-palace-h-highlights-19-20/

Last match he played in, doesn't look finished there. 

For anyone that doesn't want to waste 10mins of their lives, he touched the ball 4 times. 

1 - puts header about 10 foot wide

2 - Plays little pass to Zaha

3 - Conceeds freekick

4 - Has shit shit shot saved. 

What exactly did you see in that footage that impressed you?

We need strikers and we need strikers fast.

It's going to be so hard to tempt a good striker away from a club in January. Benteke isn't the ideal signing by any means, but providing he comes with someone else, then I think it's fine. 

Piatek and Benteke please :D 

But seriously, there aren't a lot of good strikers about that have any form of Premier League experience. Who else should we be signing? 

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But seriously, there aren't a lot of good strikers about that have any form of Premier League experience. Who else should we be signing? 

This stupid canard. The worst players in the Villa team that got relegated were the PL experienced ones

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

This stupid canard. The worst players in the Villa team that got relegated were the PL experienced ones

Aye, I agree, to an extent. Just look at all the strikers who have come to the Premier League in the summer, Wesley, Joelinton, Haller, none of them have hit the ground running and all look like they're struggling. I think we can go sign a striker from abroad who may take time to settle, but I'd feel much better having another striker as backup who's settled here, just in case the new signing is shit. Let's not make the same mistake as we did in the summer with not signing anyone to backup Wes.

If the backup striker we have is Benteke then so be it. He's better than the alternative, that's Kodjia. 

Edited by PieFacE

1 hour ago, useless said:

Smith said that there's a possibility of us signing two strikers, we were going to sign one before Wesley's injury, so it makes sense that now we'd want two. We're not in a positon to be signing two star strikers, so it's inevitable one of the two will be underwhelming to some, either because it's a punt from the lower leagues, or from somewhere like Belgium or France, or a premier league player that's been out of form and surplus to requirements at his current club. If Benteke does come it will most likey just be a loan to give us an extra option from the bench, he's better than any striker we currently have, and if we do sign two strikers it won't be easy to sign two better than him.

Where did he say we’re after 2 strikers?

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/highlights/crystal-palace-h-highlights-19-20/

Last match he played in, doesn't look finished there. 

Everyone that wants him should watch this. Brutal. No longer the imposing presence of old. There's Palace chance around 6m mark and he is stationary behind 3 Newcastle defenders. Just ball watching

We shouldn't be paying any fee if it is happening, we're solving a problem for Palace.

If I was them if be stringing us along the whole window while "looking for a replacement".

I assume he'd want and least a 2.5 year deal on 100k a week, that's £13m.

I'd be disappointed if this is what we're coming up with but will definitely be excited that first game when he bangs a centre half out the way and knocks that first header down to Jacko.

Â