Christian Benteke

Kwan

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert: "We were well in the game, and had two brilliant chances through Christian Benteke. He has to score one of the two of them, especially away from home; he has to hit the target from the header. I've said that to him you have to score those at this level but he's a young player and he will learn every day."

Not sure what he is learning every day, he cant finish. took a fresh air shot against swansea, a fresh air shot against wba plus spooned a load of other chances, was crap at southampton and again was poor at spurs.

why he is starting i will never know. we have a 150 goal england international striker in the squad who doesnt play. Im starting to think Lambert is a bit of a word removed

A player with bags of potential . Saw enough during the Swansea game to show that. Will be a fabulous striker for us

hmmmm, I thought he looked iffy as soon as he took his fresh air shot to be honest

• Like 1

What happened to giving players chances and supporting them? It was always going to take time for him to adapt and Lambert needs to manage that properly.

To call him the next Balaban is retarded.

Not sure i like the use of the word in your post but i really haven't seen anything from Benteke to suggest that he's going to be a player for us and hence my reference to Balaban. We really needed to purchase the finished article rather than potential especially upfront if indeed Bent picks up an injury. Potential isn't going to keep us in the Premiership but proven quality would have.

On another occasion he may have had 4 or 5 goals already for us thinking about the easy misses vs Swansea Southampton & spurs

If he can start converting those he will be awesome for us

On another occasion he may have had 4 or 5 goals already for us thinking about the easy misses vs Swansea Southampton & spurs

If he can start converting those he will be awesome for us

If you converted those chances you would be awesome for us.

Needs to keep starting for me - keeps having chances but not putting them away, at least he is creating those chances.

Gabby to the bench for me, has done nothing since city and proved again his biggest problem is his consistency - didnt think he was bothered to day.

Bent and Benteke for me all day long.

• Like 1

the boys looks raw,when he came on v swansea.. cb looked great,i think we all thought wow at last we might have found a gem..lets hope he is the real deal or a flop..now im were reading the words missed/sitter/air shot/raw/etc.. pl may have to stick with him as cb will want to put it right & maybe bent is not in his plans? settle in; please dont ever say this..did ba or cisse need to settle in at newcastle?

Few over reactions in this thread I see. The lad is only 21 and this league is a big step up for him combined with playing in a new country. He has missed 3 or 4 good chances but over all in his 4 starts he has done OK. Given his age and lack of experience at this level he will get better as time goes on and I can see us having a very good player on our books eventually.

I would however like to see him introduced a little more slowly and for now both Bent and Gabby should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Apart from the miss his play was very good I thought. I think it was right for him to start against Spurs - Bent wouldn't have done half the team play that Benteke did - as a unit I don't think we would have been as solid or as much of an overall threat if Bent had started.

Ba and Cisse didn't need time to settle? Neither of them were 21 when they were signed. Loads of strikers take time for different reasons so just saying BaCisse is a bit of a nothing thing to say. Some of his passing was excellent.

Overreaction centeral atm it seems.... Bentekkers is a good prospect and his teamplay is a very valuable assest for the team!.... if his finishing is woeful then how did he get 16 goals last year for Genk??? We have a team of players who will one day be amazing and the next not so good BUT this season is about consolidation and getting the players playing how Lambert wants them too! Bentekkers is learning, he has only become a first team striker for a bigger club in the last 18months!!

I'd play him with Bent next game to be honest... as DB will probably throw his toys out the pram!

• Like 1

Spot on his general play today was very good, his hold up play and touch was much improved and he did a good job at bringing others into the game. Sadly the finishing wasn't there today. I would take him out of the firing line and use him as a sub for the next few games, I think he's lacking some confidence in front of goal.

i watched the WBA game last week and benteke's all round game was very very poor. did no more chasing than bent does and he gave it away with a terrible touch everytime he got. i didnt see the game today but the commentators were saying he wasnt tracking back etc. couldnt really get an impression of how his first touch and hold up play was and i guess its only the commentators opinion.

however as a striker he needs to be putting those chances away. goals get you points. benteke could become a good striker for us, yet at the moment he is very raw and i dont believe he should be starting over someone who has a proven record of putting the ball in the net.

• Like 1

I thought his general play yesterday was fantastic. Just really lacks that finishing touch. But that can come. Him and Gabby look as if they are forming a good partnership, but lack goals in them.

Think he's a great prospect in the future, but for now I'd play 5 in midfield and have Bent up top on his own.

Â