Christian Benteke

Kwan

He had a golden opportunity to lay off a pass to a wide open Holman, but put it over the crossbar instead. I know his job is to shoot and score goals, but sometime greed is clearly not good. I expect him to be benched for the next match based on his underwhelming game yesterday, and with Bent and Gabby scoring goals, he'll have to fight his way back to a starting role. Which shouldn't be considered a demotion for a 21 year old. He'll come good.

I saw lot of potential in Benteke yesterday, he had some very bad first touches but he also have had some very nice ones in previous games. I agree that Lambert did a mistake on starting him ahead of Bent and should be used as impact sub.

A few things for me:

1) He looked awful yesterday

2) HOWEVER, he is only 21, he has only just moved into the best league in the world from the Belgian league and it wouldn't surprise me if he took an entire season to find his feet. I'm sure he will come good

3) He needs time and he REALLY shouldn't be starting in my opinion

There's no reason why he can't succeed in the premiership. It's definitely a case of physical prowess over technique with him, but I'd have preferred to add diminutive creative attacking midfielder come striker into the mix of forwards we had.

I saw a bit of lobbing forward to him going on yesterday, it rarely stuck either.

His technique was fine at the beginning of the game, he received the ball to his feet on a few occasions, took a nice touch and played it on or he one-two'd it. After that I think he was getting hassled more and crowded out, which made him more uncomfortable and he suffered for it. He's got a lot of potential and he's certainly not just a big lump, his debut goal showed that.

Yesterday was the first game I have seen him play and he managed to make Heskey look good. I'd say he had the touch of a rapist but that would be harsh on rapists. Toblerone Feet. Should have been hooked at half time and it was astonishing that Lambert persisted with him for so long.

I agree with Lambert - you dont get selected for the current Belgium national team if you are a donkey. He is young, the potential is there but it will come. Good addition to the squad.

Besides, isn't donkey reserved to Tony Adams? :D

like the rest of the team he's gonna be very hot and cold this season. i dont think you can necessarily say he should start or shouldnt start, because some days he'll look a world beater, and others he'll look like a donkey. that's youth, and it's dependent on the performance of the rest of the team. inconsistency will very much be the main feature of our season, both as a team and from the majority of our players. the main thing is that he gets enough time both as a starter and from the bench to adapt to the league and find his feet

Â