Christian Benteke

Kwan

Risso, do you only turn up to post something negative?

His passing and touch were a lot better than against WBA - he's certainly not a 'carthorse' he wouldn't be playing for Belgium if he was and his debut goal showed what he's capable of. That said, he should've scored yesterday and at 21, as you'd expect, there are areas of his game that definitely need improving.

Overall, he's got a lot of potential and as with all young players, needs and deserves the support of the fanbase in order to realise it. Deriding him is completely pointless and counter-productive for both the player and the team.

I would be shocked if he got anywhere near 10 league goals for us this season.

Really?

He could quite feasibly have 3 already for us if he hadn't missed a couple of sitters.

Now, you could say that proves he'll miss loads and not score many.

Or it could be that he's lacking a bit of confidence and it hasn't quite clicked yet, but once he settles down he'll grab a fair few goals.

For me it's the latter. he's gotten himself into enough scoring positions to show he could well grab a handful of goals this season.I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the 10 goal mark at all.

Really?

He could quite feasibly have 3 already for us if he hadn't missed a couple of sitters.

Or it could be that he's lacking a bit of confidence and it hasn't quite clicked yet, but once he settles down he'll grab a fair few goals.

For me it's the latter. he's gotten himself into enough scoring positions to show he could well grab a handful of goals this season.I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the 10 goal mark at all.

Agree, I think Benteke will start to score regularly soon.

However if I was Lambert I would start with Bent and bring Benteke on as the impact player. He is more mobile than Bent and would be a real headache for tired defenders.

Really?

Well, exactly - he could have 3... but he doesn't. He doesn't look to be a great finisher to me. He seems to get into scoring positions less because every time theres an attack, he does the right thing, and more that once in a while he manages to stumble onto the right position to me. And really seems to just lack that edge a really good striker does, we've had 2 air shots already and some missed sitters. At the moment we've seen far more bad, when we get down to the important stuff for a striker, than we have the good. I think we'll see far more games like yesterday than we will where he bangs in a corker. in all honesty.

I genuinely would be surprised to see him get more than 10 league goals.

I would not be surprised if he did based on the fact he is getting into those positions.

Ok he has one league goal but he could and probably should have four!

Well, exactly - he could have 3... but he doesn't. He doesn't look to be a great finisher to me. He seems to get into scoring positions less because every time theres an attack, he does the right thing, and more that once in a while he manages to stumble onto the right position to me. And really seems to just lack that edge a really good striker does, we've had 2 air shots already and some missed sitters. At the moment we've seen far more bad, when we get down to the important stuff for a striker, than we have the good. I think we'll see far more games like yesterday than we will where he bangs in a corker. in all honesty.

Well yeah, that was sort of the point I was making.

It could go two ways. he could carry on missing sitters all season, or he could start to bury a few and get some goals.

I think (or maybe it's hope) it'll be the latter. I guess we can only wait and see.

I'd agree with Mike that he should be brought off the bench for now rather than Bent though.

Well yeah, that was sort of the point I was making.

It could go two ways. he could carry on missing sitters all season, or he could start to bury a few and get some goals.

I think (or maybe it's hope) it'll be the latter. I guess we can only wait and see.

I'd agree with Mike that he should be brought off the bench for now rather than Bent though.

I completely agree. I play sunday league - I reckon my positional play is also decent... doesn't mean I can score goals against premiership keepers if I was given the chance.

He has potential but his decision making has been terrible at times and finishing has also been poor.

He will be doing well to get 10 goals in the league. You can quote me at the end of the season!

Ideal impact player though. He's like a good Emile Heskey in a way. But good. And with potential.

If Benteke is a carthorse then Bent and Gabby are the excrement dropping behind him because they offer consisantly less than the young lad.

Benteke is a far better target man who makes the runs, holds the ball up and passes well ..... Bent gets no tick for any of those.

The missed header would have been worrying if he ballooned it high or deflected it well wide but he met it very sweetly and it was literally six inches away from being a superb finish so give him time. He's an exciting talent who will only get better and you can't apply that tag to any of our other forwards at the moment !

• Like 1

I think a lot of the criticism of him so far is unfair and probably more down to the fact he was our major summer buy and the extra expectation that comes with that.

His a young lad so is obviously lacking in certain areas of his game. These will hopefully improve within time. But 7 million in todays market won't buy you a player who can do everything.

Scored tonight for Belgium....

Anyone watching the game? What was the goal like?

I've watched the whole match. His goal has masked a somewhat poor performance in my opinion. More often than not he has given the ball away and has won very few headers. The most worrying aspect of his game for me is his work rate. Sometimes he seems to just amble around the pitch.

I'm all for giving him a chance but he needs to use his physical stature a lot more and certainly win more headers. He is 21 so will get better I'm sure but the only way he will do this is if he works harder to create chances for others.

UTV

I've watched the whole match. His goal has masked a somewhat poor performance in my opinion. More often than not he has given the ball away and has won very few headers. The most worrying aspect of his game for me is his work rate. Sometimes he seems to just amble around the pitch.

I'm all for giving him a chance but he needs to use his physical stature a lot more and certainly win more headers. He is 21 so will get better I'm sure but the only way he will do this is if he works harder to create chances for others.

UTV

So what was the goal like?

Â