Christian Benteke

Kwan

One premier league start and you are labelling him inconsistent etc.

He's had two Premier League starts, been poor in both, one in the League Cup where he was apparently decent and one impressive substitute appearance. Seems pretty inconsistent - so far. I'd be surprised if he was anything else, the guy is only 21. I'm not trying to put him down with that Carlton Cole comparison, either, but the general vibe from Belgium when we signed him was surprise that we'd paid £7m. He may well have potential and he's a useful squad option but he's just not a starter yet IMO.

I see quite a bit potential in him, but he should be used as impact sub for at least the first half of the season so that he gets accustomed playing in PL.

The goal he scored against Swansea shows that he has potential quality for good striker and has the confidence - lot of very average strikers would've tried to kick the ball around the keeper straight to the goal but Benteke chipped it right under the nose of the keeper.

Like the rest of the squad, I like what I am seeing in Benteke even if the performances aren't quite "there" yet.

He will only get better as he gets more time on the pitch and with the squad.

you say that like you are part of the squad !! :)

You could also compare him to Drogba if you are looking for a player that came from abroad and was poor when he first played, in fact he only poor for one game, Drogba was poor for a season.

Didier Drogba played 41 competitive matches his first season. He had 26 games in the Premier League, netting 10 times as well as getting 5 assists. 5 goals in 9 games in Europe as well. I would not exactly call that poor, and I doubt Benteke will (ever) have such a good season from the first signs on him. Not bigging him down of course, but Didier Drodba when he came here was a great signing and he then turned out to be world-class. Thus, Chelsea paid over 20M for him I think and he ended his career there by scoring the winner in the Champions League.

You could also compare him to Drogba if you are looking for a player that came from abroad and was poor when he first played, in fact he only poor for one game, Drogba was poor for a season.

Didier Drogba played 41 competitive matches his first season. He had 26 games in the Premier League, netting 10 times as well as getting 5 assists. 5 goals in 9 games in Europe as well. I would not exactly call that poor, and I doubt Benteke will (ever) have such a good season from the first signs on him. Not bigging him down of course, but Didier Drodba when he came here was a great signing and he then turned out to be world-class. Thus, Chelsea paid over 20M for him I think and he ended his career there by scoring the winner in the Champions League.

:lol: Jesus christ.

Such sad desperation to be the first person to 'call it' :lol:

Drogba was performing well for Marseille in the CL, Benteke is at a different standard.

Benteke needs to be managed very well if he is to attain the levels of Drogba. He does seem to have the attributes but not the experience; let's hope throughout this season he will show signs of improvement and kick on next year?!

Drogba looked shite when he first came, I don't care about the full season stats, certainly at the start of the season and was considered a waste of money by a lot of Chelsea fans.

I'm not saying that Benteke will be anything like him, I was just saying that you may as well compare him with Drogba as compare him with Carlton Cole as people were doing.

Both are ridiculous comparisons after so little time in English football.

Let's not forget that Drogba had a slow start at Chelsea. One of his first games for them in the league was Blues away and he played like an absolute donkey. In fact Hansen's said in his 'analysis' something along the lines of "26 million? more like 26 thousand" when looking at some of Drogba's missed chances in that game.

However why even mention Drogba in the same breath anyway? As the more astute have pointed out, Drogba was 26 when he joined Chelsea and just came in off the back of an excellent season for OM.

IF we really are to compare him to Drogba then common sense demands that we look at what Drogba was doing at Benteke's age. Well he was playing for Le Mans in the second tier of French football, scoring 7 in 32 games in all comps. Boasting an overall record for Le Mans of 15 in 72.

Point being, give Benteke time for **** sake.

I'm not saying he's a poor player but comparing him to Drogba is silly. The guy has potential but he's a million miles away from being anywhere near Drogba's standard and to think he's going to become one of Europe's finest strikers is massively optimistic to say the least. Drogba was a slow starter in his career but he's an exception, not the rule. Let's not expect too much too soon. For a start he needs to learn from Darren Bent how to get into the right positions because his natural instinct in that regard has been even worse than his finishing.

Its not his positional sense or his finishing that is my biggest concern with him. Its his first touch. Sure that can be improved upon with more coaching but to pay 7m for a player who needs coaching in how to trap a ball is worrying. At the moment he reminds me of Djemba Djemba.

Its not his positional sense or his finishing that is my biggest concern with him. Its his first touch. Sure that can be improved upon with more coaching but to pay 7m for a player who needs coaching in how to trap a ball is worrying. At the moment he reminds me of Djemba Djemba.

Well he's scored more goals hasn't he?

Â