Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Eh?

Read what's said that he'd be an option for the squad because it's a small squad and he's versatile rather than claiming 'over reactions' or whatever.

Anyway. That's 5 goals and he's been moved about. Really like him.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

Why not? Holland have a few top draw players, but a lot of the squad is pretty average, certainly not light years ahead of Bacuna. No one is claiming he's Van Persie or Robben but he's probably on a par with a lot of the players plying their trade in the Eredivisie. 

I don't really see what is funny about the idea of him being called up to the Dutch national team. They have a small squad with a bunch of Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV youngsters making up the numbers. 

Bacuna has come into the Premier League and has been played out of position, yet has held his own and even scored 5 goals, which is just as many as Kevin Strootman and more than Georgino Wijnaldum or even Adam Maher this season. I think he is doing really well considering he is playing in a new position, a new team and of course a new league (which is considerably much tougher than the Eredivisie). 

Let us also not forget that he is only 22 years of age. Taking all things into account he really can't be too far behind some of the young Dutch players that are part of their full international setup at the minute.

I really hope we can bring in a new right back this coming Summer so we can play him in midfield, what a bargain we got with this boy.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 2

Of course Bacuna has a chance at the Holland squad, Vlaar is their starting CB ffs and it's not as if they have huge pool of class players either, it's not a crazy idea that another of our players could be considered if he plays well. I don't think he will, so it's all a bit pointless really.

I'd like us to buy a proper RB in the summer and play Bacuna more in a right wing role, or in centre mid, he can be awesome going forwards at times, and I think if it's he's played consistently in an attacking role his slight technical wobbles he has will disappear.

Absolute bargain at £900k :D

• Like 1

if he continues playing like this at right back, why play him anywhere else? and if he keeps scoring goals from that position, like he has, I reckon Bacuna will be very happy to stay there.

• Like 2

I think a lot of Lambert's 3-at-the-back thinking is that Bacuna and Bertrand (or Luna to be honest) have the ability to be more effective as proper wing backs rather than full backs.

Got no problem with him being right back in this defence, though.  He offers us a lot going forwards and seems to be better defensively too (esp. against both Newcastle and Norwich)

if he continues playing like this at right back, why play him anywhere else? and if he keeps scoring goals from that position, like he has, I reckon Bacuna will be very happy to stay there.

Good point I guess but there is more to the position than scoring goals and I still worry about his consistency there. That said, he has been solid as of late in terms of defence. He had Baines in his back pocket, Gouffran in his back pocket and today had Redmond substituted off because he was completely nullified. 

Maybe he can be converted to right back, although Van der Wiel and Janmaat will be ahead of him in terms of the national team for that position I would imagine, but for us yeah sure if he can keep his level of play up then why not.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

The unjust criticism of him seems to be twofold. Firstly, on the basis that he isn't a natural right-back. The basic argument of some people against him is that he isn't a good right-back because he is a natural midfielder which is a ridiculous argument and it should be pointed out that your natural position isn't necessarily your best position anyway. Secondly, those who want to justify their displeasure at Lowton being dropped and use Bacuna as a scapegoat for that situation.

• Like 1

He reminds me of CNZ pre Villa, very good in flashes. He's not shy to do a bit of running too :thumb:

Milner.  :)

If he becomes half as good as Milner i'd be delighted! I like Bacuna, he makes the most of what he has. 

Bacuna will take the world cup by storm

Of course he will

And, right on cue:

Netherlands defender Paul Verhaegh has been ruled out of Wednesday's friendly against France in Paris after suffering a gash on his knee in Bundesliga action, the Dutch football association (KNVB) said.

The Augsburg right back will be out for two weeks after being hurt in a collision with Mame Diouf in Saturday's match against Hanover. The KNVB said any decision on a possible replacement would be made on Monday by coach Louis van Gaal.

Their third choice right back is injured for the friendly against France. Somebody give Louis a call.

His cut inside for his goal today was class. Textbook breakaway goal

The cut inside was beautiful.

The ball got played to him and I was halfway through a "WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST **** HIT IT?!?!" moment... then he finished with his left anyway.  Superb.

• Like 1