Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Just never, ever play him at right-back and I'm content. He has the positional ability of a blind person and is always giving away space for the other team to roam.

But he still has been better defensively than Lowton this season.

• Like 3

Just never, ever play him at right-back and I'm content. He has the positional ability of a blind person and is always giving away space for the other team to roam.

But he still has been better defensively than Lowton this season.

There you go again, damning with faint praise! ;)

Go back a few pages and people were saying how awful Bacuna is and criticizing Lambert for buying him but now after a couple of games, everyone seems to have jumped on his bandwagon.

What is the point of this post?

To prove what a few games can do. A few games doesn't decide whether a player is good or not. 

Go back a few pages and people were saying how awful Bacuna is and criticizing Lambert for buying him but now after a couple of games, everyone seems to have jumped on his bandwagon.

What is the point of this post?

To prove what a few games can do. A few games doesn't decide whether a player is good or not. 

Of course not. I could have a totally different opinion in twelve months time. Bacuna is doing well in his first season.

I have said it before, but I this lad is quality! Rotterdam reckons he doesn't have what it takes to be a quality midfielder, which maybe true, but I don't think so! He looks tailor made to be a premier league midfielder to me! Quick, agile, strong (for his size), lots of energy.  A premier league midfielder needs to be an athlete as the pace and physicality of the football played in England makes the advantage athleticism gives a player even more pronounced.  He can also dribble, and has a solid technique and at 20/21 years old has so much time to improve especially when you consider that he has a great injury record also. 

Positioning is very much about concentration, reading the game and knowing your teammates, so the more time he spends on the pitch the more he will improve. Also if employed in a box to box role he wouldn't really need to position himself great as they a meant to go with the play, chasing down the player in possession is how they are expected to defend rather then holding a defensive line and cutting off the space.

• Like 4

I think people talking about him being the next Milner are way off. 

Let's not kid ourselves here, Milner was good for us, but it wasn't through any sort of spectacular technical ability, it was his work rate and the general try hard attitude he had. Of course he was good technically otherwise he wouldn't be considered a great player for us, but I think his Man City career has shown he wasn't anything special, especially when he's used as a winger. What both Bacuna and Milner have is something that's very hard to teach and coach into players, but it is more than possible for Bacuna to be coach to a similar technical ability as Milner.

It's certainly plausible that given the right sort of opportunities and the right coaching that Bacuna could be just as good as Milner.

• Like 1

I think they have some similarities but also think they will become quite different players.

Similarities

They are both adaptable I get that and able to play in a few positions. Both strong, fit and able to belt the ball towards goal on occasion. Both capable of a great cross but not hugely consistent with it.

Differences

Jimmy is actually quite skilful and has very tidy ball control. I've yet to see anything similar from Bacuna.

I actually think Bacuna has a good late run into the box in him and seems to time this quite well. Not something Jimmy was especially known for.

Bacuna much quicker than Jim.

Jimmy obviously a much better user and protector of the ball. This is something Bacuna may develop with experience or he may not, a lot of it down to football intelligence.

I'd be surprised if Bacuna ever has the run through a wall/will to win, maximise ever last possible inch of ability mentality that has taken Jimmy so far. Again maybe he'll get that but it is actually quite a unique trait in modern day players.