Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Those goals were four years ago.

I'm fairly certain he hasn't got anywhere close since.

This is exactly my point. He scored two free kicks four years ago and people always say "oh he can hit them!"

He can't. He scored two very good free kicks a long time ago, but if he was a good free kick taker he'd have done something in the subsequent four years to show us that.

I don't think he's been a regular set piece taker if I'm honest (Benteke even took a few).

Your argument for Hourihane over him is "his set pieces hit the target".  I'm sure some of Bacuna's have, too.  As I said before, he's certainly hit the woodwork from at least 2 free kicks.

He's not a great player, but he takes a good free kick.  I don't really see the issue with that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think he's been a regular set piece taker if I'm honest (Benteke even took a few).

Your argument for Hourihane over him is "his set pieces hit the target".  I'm sure some of Bacuna's have, too.  As I said before, he's certainly hit the woodwork from at least 2 free kicks.

He's not a great player, but he takes a good free kick.  I don't really see the issue with that.

The issue is it's not true to be frank. 

Imo of course. 

Edited by Stevo985

He has a decent delivery and a good engine on him. That's about it.

You can see why we signed him, at the time they probably thought there was enough potential there for improvement.

He hasn't improved though so its time to go.

Given he has been used largely on a rotation basis, I think Bacuna is an asset to us (as a squad player). He can play in multiple positions and has chipped in with a fair few goals/assists. He has shown a lot of fight for the club this season, and that desire has contributed to a couple of key victories. Given what occurred in the season prior to this, he deserves some credit and respect for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is exactly my point. He scored two free kicks four years ago and people always say "oh he can hit them!"

He can't. He scored two very good free kicks a long time ago, but if he was a good free kick taker he'd have done something in the subsequent four years to show us that.

I asked this question on this thread somewhere before but I don't think that anyone answered it.

For my simple brain, can somebody explain to me how as a footballer who plays football every day, you can go from being able to score regularly from distance (both from open play and direct free kick) in the Premier League i.e. Bacuna 4-5 years ago, to not being able to score a goal from distance?

If it is as simple as that he has regressed as a footballer despite the huge investment of time and money, then why on earth does he continue to play for the club?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I asked this question on this thread somewhere before but I don't think that anyone answered it.

For my simple brain, can somebody explain to me how as a footballer who plays football every day, you can go from being able to score regularly from distance (both from open play and direct free kick) in the Premier League i.e. Bacuna 4-5 years ago, to not being able to score a goal from distance?

If it is as simple as that he has regressed as a footballer despite the huge investment of time and money, then why on earth does he continue to play for the club?

Because he never scored regularly from distance. He's scored 7 goals in his Villa career.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That was when, I imagine, Bacuna used to practice free kicks and practice his craft on the training ground. I doubt he is staying behind to practice his set pieces anymore, and it shows.

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because he never scored regularly from distance. He's scored 7 goals in his Villa career.

It's a massive 8 actually :P

• Like 1

Just now, LancsVillan said:

League 7 and Cup 1

Was surprised to see he is younger than any of Hourihane, Lansbury and Bjirkir too

Which is why I think he should stick around, he always gives 100%

• Like 1

We've got much more pressing concerns than being shot of Bacuna to be honest. He is a decent squad player at the very least, unless we are getting a superior replacement I don't see the point. Most acknowledge a complete overhaul again would do more harm than good but seemingly always fall into the same trap of wanting to sell everyone.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

We won't get promotion with players as poor as Bacuna. To me, that means he has to go, the sooner the better.

It's as simple as that really. It would be great to have a team, even squad, with no sign of the worst players during our decline. Since January, I hope we have started to build a "new" side that will be enhanced during the summer. I think we need more outs than ins really and give the Jan signings the chance to prove themselves. I just hope we can build and form a new identity for AVFC with a team that can genuinely excite us fans and provide some optimism moving forwards. We simply have to be challenging, not just for promotion, but for the title next season.

6 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

has chipped in with a fair few goals/assists.

How many the last couple of seasons?

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

We won't get promotion with players as poor as Bacuna. To me, that means he has to go, the sooner the better.

Spot on

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I think Birkir will take Bacuna's role next season, and Bacuna will likely be sold.

Said the same previously, I hope it comes true.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

That was when, I imagine, Bacuna used to practice free kicks and practice his craft on the training ground. I doubt he is staying behind to practice his set pieces anymore, and it shows.

Spot on. He couldn't care less as he thinks he has made it.

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Considering he's played at right back for most of his Villa career, I'd say that's a decent return

According to whoscored.com he has played 31 times this season, 4 at rb. Previous years he could've played a few more (I haven't checked), but I'd imagine less than half his appearances are at rb

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Which is why I think he should stick around, he always gives 100%

He really doesn't. He runs for the first ten minutes of a game, then stops, especially when we are losing. He even "hides in positions" so the bal won't be played to him.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He scored 5 in about his first 5 months in the Premier League. All from outside the area. And has then managed just one or two across the next three years. Thats what i dont get. How do you possibly lose that ability, when you are basically just trying to fine tune it everyday on the training pitch. How have the club not done anything about it?

I know you cant compare football to everyday life. But it would be like me turning up to an office job claiming to be a whizz on excel. Being excellent with it for the first year, and then gradually forgetting how to use it as time went on, until i dont even bother using it. And the company being accepting of that and just letting me do so filing or something on the same salary. Not likely is it.

• Like 1