Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Considering he's played at right back for most of his Villa career, I'd say that's a decent return

Right back is where he looks best.

That usually results in him being tried further up the pitch where he's largely rubbish.

• Like 1

Bacuna is a good player, still reasonably young and crucially is a squad player for a midtable Championship side. For where we are, and where we're aiming to be in the short term, he's more than good enough for this side and I don't think we should be moving him on or writing him off unless someone offers way more than his value 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Bacuna is a good player, still reasonably young and crucially is a squad player for a midtable Championship side. For where we are, and where we're aiming to be in the short term, he's more than good enough for this side and I don't think we should be moving him on or writing him off unless someone offers way more than his value 

He's a very average footballer in a very average team that has finished a very average 13th. So given the circumstances in which he and us find ourselves, I'd tend to agree with the above, until we stop being average. Hopefully in an upward direction. 

Hourihane has plenty from set pieces for Barnsley.  He scored one as a winner for them in his final game.  He's a very good free kick taker.  I'm not sure what Bacuna's 2 in 4 years for us is supposed to do for him in a discussion of who is the better set piece taker.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

Hourihane has plenty from set pieces for Barnsley.  He scored one as a winner for them in his final game.  He's a very good free kick taker.  I'm not sure what Bacuna's 2 in 4 years for us is supposed to do for him in a discussion of who is the better set piece taker.

It wasn't.  I simply said Bacuna is a good direct free kick taker.  Nothing to do with who is better.

Just now, bobzy said:

It wasn't.  I simply said Bacuna is a good direct free kick taker.  Nothing to do with who is better.

Ah right, fair enough.  Yeah I suppose if I was listing his qualities in order, set pieces would be high up for him.  But that's probably largely down to me not thinking there's much else he can do.  Running around a lot and squaring up to people I suppose would be high on his list too :P

• Like 3

20 hours ago, meregreen said:

We won't get promotion with players as poor as Bacuna. To me, that means he has to go, the sooner the better.

Careful what you wish for. IMO he will easily strengthen most championship squads and with a point to prove. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Careful what you wish for. IMO he will easily strengthen most championship squads and with a point to prove. 

I heard he wants Champions League, so we might even struggle to hold on to him ;)

• Like 1

Seriously though, I could see Bacuna making the starting line up for at least 70% of this league, possibly more than that. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team in the league that wouldn't have him in their squad if he was offered to them. I also think if he leaves we'll make a profit on him. He's also not on high wages. In terms of players that need moving on, he shouldn't be on that list. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Shame he doesn't play like he has a point to prove here. No point 'hording' him in the event he becomes this good player some suggest he is. He has been virtually useless to us, has to GO.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Seriously though, I could see Bacuna making the starting line up for at least 70% of this league, possibly more than that. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team in the league that wouldn't have him in their squad if he was offered to them. I also think if he leaves we'll make a profit on him. He's also not on high wages. In terms of players that need moving on, he shouldn't be on that list. 

You may be right, but then we don't want to be in this league and he is one of the reasons we're down here.  At the risk of sounding all high and mighty, we're Aston Villa and we're not 70% of this league.  /arrogantrantover :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

I agree, but he is still a gobshite and I don't want his crap attitude around the squad.

4 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Strengthen their squad? Maybe.

Strengthen their first XI? definitely not.

Well, not any team we should be worrying about anyway.

58 minutes ago, BOF said:

You may be right, but then we don't want to be in this league and he is one of the reasons we're down here.  At the risk of sounding all high and mighty, we're Aston Villa and we're not 70% of this league.  /arrogantrantover :P

Agreed. The bloke is probably the worst midfielder (its close with Gardner) in a team that came 13th.

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Have to disagree.

8 hours ago, skarroki said:

Bacuna is a good player. 

Bonkers. 

8 hours ago, skarroki said:

I don't think we should be moving him on or writing him off unless someone offers way more than his value 

One of these perhaps?

cadbury-curly-wurly-single_1372427753.jp