Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely didn't realise he had been here this long!:wacko:

That's totally understandable. He hasn't. 

I do understand, though, that the last 4 seasons might feel like an eternity for Villa fans. (Not all of it Bacuna's fault)

• Like 1

I understand why he sometimes gets picked, for his industry and tempo, but for me, he is frankly ineffective overall.

I want to see players, play for us who the opposition have trouble with.......and "trouble" can manifest itself in many ways, that all equate to effective.

I don't care what position the player, plays in.......They have to be effective.

I have seen in recent years many who simply haven't been effective..particularly in midfield......I am hoping to see that change.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TB said:

I do understand, though, that the last 4 seasons might feel like an eternity for Villa fans. (Not all of it Bacuna's fault)

you are quite right, but I'll bet we can all draw up an unenviable list of damn squibs.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

you are quite right, but I'll bet we can all draw up an unenviable list of damn squibs.

Oh yes, and many do post their list of damn squads. Or damp squids.  :-)

I was just pointing out that Bacuna's been here for four seasons, not five. That's all.

18 minutes ago, TB said:

Oh yes, and many do post their list of damn squads. Or damp squids.  :-)

I was just pointing out that Bacuna's been here for four seasons, not five. That's all.

sorry for using slang

......squib is a type of firework in English ......so a Damp Squib is a colloquial word meaning "it won't go off" or "it doesn't work" or "of low expectation"

silly me for  thinking the forum is confined to this country.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

sorry for using slang

......squib is a type of firework in English ......so a Damp Squib is a colloquial word meaning "it won't go off" or "it doesn't work" or "of low expectation"

silly me for  thinking the forum is confined to this country.

I do know what a squib is (even though a couple of centuries ago it also could mean a short, sarcastic remark) - and even the meaning of the phrase 'a damp squib'.

Damn squibs, on the other hand, is a phrase totally unknown to me. Possibly what someone might exclaim when encountering a damp squib?  Or perhaps some utterance from a disgruntled wizard in the J. R. Rowling / Harry Potter universe? ;-)

2 minutes ago, TB said:

I do know what a squib is (even though a couple of centuries ago it also could mean a short, sarcastic remark) - and even the meaning of the phrase 'a damp squib'.

Damn squibs, on the other hand, is a phrase totally unknown to me. Possibly what someone might exclaim when encountering a damp squib?  Or perhaps some utterance from a disgruntled wizard in the J. R. Rowling / Harry Potter universe? ;-)

sorry re-read my post it was a typo:)

J.K.Rowling......look its contagious.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

sorry re-read my post it was a typo:)

I guessed as much. :) I just couldn't resist... But thank you for taking the time to explain the phrase to a foreigner. 

Edit: Yup, you're right. Touché :)

Edited by TB
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I watched the 2nd half of the match and I was very confused by what Bacuna is even playing. When attacking, Bacuna was playing almost a defensive mid role, but when defending, Bacuna was playing next to the strikers. It's like he decided not to jog more than 5-10 past the center circle for the whole match. 

Likely they gave him a free role as he obviously plays at the highest standard in their squad alongside Cuco Martina so you try to get them to influence the play as much as possible.

He's no Gareth Bale though.....

It does feel very much like the last time we were relegated in the 80's. Just lots and lots of players who are just not very good, years of underinvestment filling the squad with poor quality who ultimately cannot compete against even very poor small clubs who have spent better.  For Leandro Bacuna see Warren Aspinall etc

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TB said:

If you were to build a wall in a stream to stop it flowing and you used old fashioned fireworks, that could be a dam squib! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you were to build a wall in a stream to stop it flowing and you used old fashioned fireworks, that could be a dam squib! 

I think that would be a damn weak (and damp) squib dam...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mammoth10 said:

Stop encouraging them dam, sorry, damn it :blush:

Well, I do think it's far better than damning the squad...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I understand why he sometimes gets picked, for his industry and tempo, but for me, he is frankly ineffective overall.

I want to see players, play for us who the opposition have trouble with.......and "trouble" can manifest itself in many ways, that all equate to effective.

I don't care what position the player, plays in.......They have to be effective.

I have seen in recent years many who simply haven't been effective..particularly in midfield......I am hoping to see that change.

3rd in the Premier League for average assists per game in 14/15 when he was used properly and had the right players around him is not effective enough?

How many of his team mates would you say have been more effective since?

Edited by Michael118

9 hours ago, TB said:

You're quite right I do apologise for my incorrect stat. For some reason I was including the coming season as in my head the season had started. Obviously it hasn't and I will give myself a good talking to over providing incorrect info. It does however feel like 5 seasons :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

3rd in the Premier League for average assists per game in 14/15 when he was used properly and had the right players around him is not effective enough?

How many of his team mates would you say have been more effective since?

I'm starting to think you are Leandro Bacuna, as no one would go to lengths you do to pump up the tyres of someone so much. Unless you're indeed pumping up your own tyres. 

Pretty sure like I've said before his/your overall rating for the season 14/15 was 6.54. Which means no matter how you look at he/you was/were an average player at best. 

And outside of the small sample size of games you are using for his/your stats he/you was/were erring on being bloody awful. 

No wonder he/you is/are always late for training. Get off VT and back to pre-season before he/you has/have another mediocre season. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

46 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm starting to think you are Leandro Bacuna, as no one would go to lengths you do to pump up the tyres of someone so much. Unless you're indeed pumping up your own tyres. 

Pretty sure like I've said before his/your overall rating for the season 14/15 was 6.54. Which means no matter how you look at he/you was/were an average player at best. 

And outside of the small sample size of games you are using for his/your stats he/you was/were erring on being bloody awful. 

No wonder he/you is/are always late for training. Get off VT and back to pre-season before he/you has/have another mediocre season. 

I'm just trying to even up the score.

I see him as one of our better players and one of the few we have who would be able to cut it at Premier League level. Some of the criticism he gets here is ridiculous.

Those ratings from WhoScored don't mean a lot when you consider the other factors. I don't like to use their ratings as any kind of guide but his form picked up after Lambert left and half his appearances came from the bench which their ratings don't take into account.

The sample I'm using is of the whole season. He was 3rd in the Premier League for average assists per game in 14/15 over the whole season.

Edited by Michael118