Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Hi guys,

I created an account to give you my humble opinion on your new signing.

When I read the threads on our own forum I always get the feeling most of my team's players, are terrible, not worthy of wearing our jersey and should be sold off/replaced as soon as humanly possible. It's part of a football fan's nature and definitely also part of the region I live in. And to some extent it only makes sense a football supporter scrutinizes his own team the most. They are the guys the reason we come to the stadium. We want to see dedication, determination and some decent football. Groningen is a good club; we're financially healthy, generally play watchable football, especially at home (although it's always not been of that standard these last 2 years), our youth does well, we get some decent signings every season and always finish top half of the table.

As the news came today that Bacuna was going to move to Villa I checked the forums. The consensus is that it's great we got some money for him. People were surprised he's moving to a mch bigger club (which you are). The forum largely considers him a mediocre player. A hard worker, but lacking in cunning. I feel that's a bit shallow. Let's not forget he's only 21 and has already played over a 100 games at senior level in a decent league. If it weren't for all the A-internationals that were called up for our U21-squad, he might have been in Israel now as well. In other words, there's enough people out there that have seen the potential in him. These last 2 seasons he's been trying to get rid of the stamp 'talent', but I feel he hasn't always been used in the positions that fit him best. A few other people have talked about this: he ís versatile and he has played as RB, DM, CM, RM and RW just this year. What young guys like this need is some consistency to better understand what is required of them at this level. Didn't happen with Bacuna. He was lost and even spoke up against the head coach.

In my opinion Bacuna could be well-suited for RB, but he'd have to learn how to play that position properly as he's naturally a more offensive player; he'll want to venture forward. RW might be a bit too much as he only one way of getting past the other guy: kick the ball forward and run faster. Midfield positions suit him better. He is a real box-to-box player with a decent pass and a good shot in his legs, especially when he's built up some confidence (which he has been lacking this year). His free kicks are powerful. He'll also convert all your penalties without hesitation. I think he's actually better suited for a team like Villa in the PL (and English football in general) than Groningen in our Dutch league. Give the kid some time and I'm sure he'll show you his worth!

Kind regards,

Sublime

Superb post. Thanks so much for your input.

Always refreshing to hear from fans of the Club a player is departing.

Interesting to hear of his attributes. Will Murphy still be in our plans I wonder?

Is it just me or do most Dutch people seem highly intelligent? Good post there Sublime.

I asked some Dutch people last summer why they always seem able to speak English. The answer was twofold. "Because no-one else can speak Dutch" and "We learn it in school". The second answer being a consequence of the first :)

Is it just me or do most Dutch people seem highly intelligent? Good post there Sublime.

I asked some Dutch people last summer why they always seem able to speak English. The answer was twofold. "Because no-one else can speak Dutch" and "We learn it in school". The second answer being a consequence of the first :)

They are taught English as a compulsory language/subject from when they're in primary school. I love Holland, great country.

They are taught English as a compulsory language/subject from when they're in primary school. I love Holland, great country.

I believe they learn English side by side with Dutch. They also have to do 4 years of German and French.

Great post and if i may add "very good grammar for a dutch native" I'm Portuguese, lived in the UK for 41 years, i'm now 48 and still need to do a spell check most of the time especialy when "trying to spell Portuguese".

Anyway nice post hope his agent approves.

There was a time where I hoped for this being sang or at least referenced

34359457.jpg

But like Stevo985 pointed out, there isn't enough syllables for it to work, I was depleted, but now, surely, surely

qm.gif

http://qkme.me/3uuahx

Nearly there. But surely Bacuna is so similar to "Hakuna" that it needs to start the song?

• Like 1

Reminds me of that scene in Moneyball when all the old guys are shaking their heads when Billy Beene and the guy form Superbad unveil all their proposed signings for the summer.

Haha well Lambert is running a moneyball type operation

• Like 1

Not really relevant to their ability to adapt but i did see someone mention earlier in the thread that this guy was 6'1.  Surely that can't be right if Okore is pretty small for a CB as he is taller than Bacuna in the pics at BMH.  As i say i don't really care  just thought i'd say that's something i noticed.  

Don't get this signing at all. Looks very average and not going to play area we short in like LB

He only cost what a million?

Nobody heard of Sylla and he turned out to be quite decent

"He is a real box-to-box player with a decent pass and a good shot in his legs, especially when he's built up some confidence" - Sounds a little bit like Delph to me. Welcome to the club Leandro!   

"He is a real box-to-box player with a decent pass and a good shot in his legs, especially when he's built up some confidence" - Sounds a little bit like Delph to me. Welcome to the club Leandro!   

That was my thought as well.

Sounds like Delph, without the crippling tackling.

This club...love it. For all I care, his career starts now. Don`t know nothing, hoping for the best. Welcome to the club Leandro.

Good times indeed. It feels like I am in love again...  :wub:

Don't get this signing at all. Looks very average and not going to play area we short in like LB

We need a squad.

I'm not saying this lad is filler, he may make it here or he may not. But who would you rather have - Stephen Ireland, tried tested and proven to be absolutely useless or Leandro Bacuna?

Genuine question.

• Like 1