Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

I think the talk of him being average is one that some could have layed at the feet of alot of our squad last season. Once Lambert gets hold of him I think we'll see this kid come on leaps and bounds. An example of Lambert, Kara and Culverhouses' coaching can be sen in just how much Fabian Delph has come on. He was consistently one of our best players from March onwards.

I think midfielders can develop a bit later than other positions. Milner is a perfect example even Frank Lampard were not thought as really great prospects at 21 even Schweinsteiger and Xavi were not so well thought of at the age.

Not saying he will be near them but hard to write him off just yet

If we are going to use him as a centre mid then my biggest worry is that historically, there are very few centre mids who have come over from the Netherlands and done well in the PL. Only de Jong did it at the top level. Boateng was decent but that's about it. There certainly appears to be some problem in translating their game from the speed of the Eredivisie to this league. The list of failures is longer than Beadle's arm.

couple of Mills i would imagine?

?

DannyMills_1575938.jpgDannyMills_1575938.jpg

Naw, he's worth more than that

That is one of the funniest posts I have read/seen since being aware of this website... Kudos to you sir!

f71771.gif

I'm Kirk, you're Uhura, Gareth Read Or Die is Bones, KjParton is Scotty, villarule123 is Chekov...Zatman is Spock.

• Like 2

If we are going to use him as a centre mid then my biggest worry is that historically, there are very few centre mids who have come over from the Netherlands and done well in the PL. Only de Jong did it at the top level. Boateng was decent but that's about it. There certainly appears to be some problem in translating their game from the speed of the Eredivisie to this league. The list of failures is longer than Beadle's arm.

Tiote came from that league.

Tiote came from that league.

Right, so there's another to add to the Boateng level. The point stands. Centre mids from the Netherlands are a disproportionately and uniquely poor success rate in the PL for whatever reason.

How many are there though, not many I can think of. In recent years I can only think of possibly KEA, Anita, Tiote, De Guzman, De Jong. The latter two came from different leagues before moving here, however the biggest problems Anita, KEA find is the strength and pace of the game, this player seems a runner and determined, also has age on his side. I think he'll shock a few but thats just a feeling.

Check wiki. A shit load. It's not a point worth dissecting to death tbh. It's there and it's a curiosity. And before some claim it's making a definitive opinion on the guy, it absolutely isn't. It's merely a 'concern based on precedent'.

Central midfielders moving from the Eredivisie to the Premiership (as far as I can tell)...

• Alfons Groenendijk
  • Nii Lamptey
  • Klas Ingesson
  • Orlando Trustfull
  • Wim Jonk
  • Giorgi Kinkladze (second time around went from Ajax to Derby, should probably discount from the list)
  • Nabil Abidallah
  • Paul Bosvelt
  • Spase Dilevski
  • Ji-Sung Park
  • Hossam Ghaly
  • Denny Landzaat
  • Enric Vallès
  • Carlos Salcido (think he was a defender at this point)
  • Cheik Tioté
  • Moussa Dembélé (again, before he was moved into midfield)
  • Eyong Enoh
  • Vurnon Anita
  • Karim El Ahmadi
  • Brett Holman

Lot of guff in there.  A fair bit of it split between Sheffield Wednesday and, erm, ourselves. :lol:

Edited by GarethRDR

Judging a player on what league they come from is a quite ridiculous, we of all fans should know this from some of the signings we made last Summer.

Being from the Eredivisie has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not he will be a success here.

So I see that the direction of discussions on here is still wholly predictable :) I was hoping the point would be taken as it was intended. Although I doubted that it would be and I was right. Sigh.

I knew this'd happen. It shows my original point though. Only de Jong was a 'top' level success in the centre.

Top level due to them paying 16million BOF. In fact De Jong didn't even come from Dutch League to play, in fact he didn't even play CM for Ajax, he was a full-back. Only at Hamburg he then transformed him into a CM.

If Christian Eriksen decided to come to England, I assume he would be a flop then?

Ah, I forgot we still had the hypothetical arguments to come :)