Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

I like him.

I don't understand the constant clamour to move him from RB though.

The reasoning seems to be that he gets x goals/assists playing from full-back so imagine how many he could get if played further forward. However, I actually think that his threat is increased joining attacks from deep - more incision in the play which suits him.

Exactly.

He's played further up the field for us, and he wasn't that great (putting it politely)

All of his good performances have come from fullback.

It suits him, even if his defending leaves a little to be desired at times

I think Bacuna will mature into an pretty good wingback if given the chance. He just needs to have a solid run of a whole season with the same defence all playing together, rather than the constant changes in personel that we have seen over the last two seasons. That is the major issue with our defence in my opinion, no understanding has been built up as every few games one or two seem to be out injured. They need to work as a unit, and that only comes with extended training and game time together.

We also need to add goals from all parts of our team, and Bacuna does this. For too long we have been relying on goals from 1 or 2 sources, we need our midfielders and defenders to chip in with their fair share.

What? He's a player who still hasn't carved out a definitive position for himself at the age of 23 because he doesn't have all of the right attributes to be a success anywhere. He has some qualities but just break it down for a minute:

Winger: he can cross well, he's pretty athletic but his passing isn't great and neither is his dribbling.

Fullback: Crossing and athleticism, yes. Positioning, nope. Tackling, so-so.

CM: Got the athleticism, not enough of a range of passing, technique isn't good enough.

His definitive position is right back surely? He's played there consistently for 2 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has more assists/goals over that time period than anyone else but named Benteke.

He's an attacking full back. He doesn't have to start every game to be useful to the squad surely?

He's not a good right back though, defensively he just doesn't have what it takes. 

I think you're overselling his goals and assists somewhat. From what I can make out, he's had 6 of each in two seasons - so averaging out to 3 of each per season, it's not exactly immense, is it? 

I like him.

I don't understand the constant clamour to move him from RB though.

The reasoning seems to be that he gets x goals/assists playing from full-back so imagine how many he could get if played further forward. However, I actually think that his threat is increased joining attacks from deep - more incision in the play which suits him.

Exactly.

He's played further up the field for us, and he wasn't that great (putting it politely)

All of his good performances have come from fullback.

It suits him, even if his defending leaves a little to be desired at times

I thought he was good against Leicester in the FA Cup playing in midfield.

What? He's a player who still hasn't carved out a definitive position for himself at the age of 23 because he doesn't have all of the right attributes to be a success anywhere. He has some qualities but just break it down for a minute:

Winger: he can cross well, he's pretty athletic but his passing isn't great and neither is his dribbling.

Fullback: Crossing and athleticism, yes. Positioning, nope. Tackling, so-so.

CM: Got the athleticism, not enough of a range of passing, technique isn't good enough.

His definitive position is right back surely? He's played there consistently for 2 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has more assists/goals over that time period than anyone else but named Benteke.

He's an attacking full back. He doesn't have to start every game to be useful to the squad surely?

He's not a good right back though, defensively he just doesn't have what it takes. 

I think you're overselling his goals and assists somewhat. From what I can make out, he's had 6 of each in two seasons - so averaging out to 3 of each per season, it's not exactly immense, is it? 

Possibly in terms of volume. He had 5 assists in 10 starts (+9 sub) last season. That's alright you know.  

Fair enough, yeah - in terms of minutes to assists, he's done reasonably well there. He can take set pieces and cross well, I'm not going to dispute that but I think that if we played him regularly at RB, he'd make mistakes that cost us at least as many goals as he'd provide. I don't trust him defensively at all. 

Really like this guy.  Perhaps a touch lightweight?  The kind of player that really flourishes when we dominate, and has the ability to pull a real surprise out of the bag, be it freekick, assist, or surging run.  Far from perfect, but also pretty far from his seeming potential.

I'm not getting the love for him, I'm afraid.

Don't you like goals?

He's scored a few goals and got a few assists but it doesn't make up for his negative sides IMO. 

He's worth about 3 million quid, tops. I'd sell him. 

What is the point of selling him really? 3m's hardly going to make a major difference to our budget and he shows quality at times ans can still improve further, Sherwood reckons anyway.

He's got more long term value to the club than Alan Hutton I'd say so of the two I'd let Hutton go.

Who knows how this three at the back will work out, but it should suit Bacuna playing as a wing back, and there would be more cover for his sometimes poor defensive positioning. 

I've not actually seen anything to suggest we will be playing 3 at the back. In the friendly against Fulham we played 4-2-3-1. 

I like him going forward although his crossing can be inconsistent (but whose isn't?). More than useful squad player but I absolutely do not want him as a starting RB against a top team.

I'm not getting the love for him, I'm afraid.

Don't you like goals?

He's scored a few goals and got a few assists but it doesn't make up for his negative sides IMO. 

He's worth about 3 million quid, tops. I'd sell him. 

What is the point of selling him really? 3m's hardly going to make a major difference to our budget and he shows quality at times ans can still improve further, Sherwood reckons anyway.

He's got more long term value to the club than Alan Hutton I'd say so of the two I'd let Hutton go.

I don't think he's a short or long term answer, so I'd sell him now. I'd go with Hutton for the time being and look to spend a larger amount on a good wing back in the future, dependant on what our budget is looking like at the moment. 

Defensively woeful and can lose possession cheaply but provides vital assists - playing him is always a risk, I feel and I think we could improve on Bacuna. Should just play him as an out an out winger, to be honest.