Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Can't pass but made arguably two of the best passes for us this season. That pass to Hutton against Bournemouth and the one to Cleverley. Can't pass though.

They were great passes, for sure, but are hardly indicative of his overall passing ability. It's all about consistency at this level; if he could do that a lot more frequently, he'd be a much better player but he's just as likely to give it to the opposition as he is play a scintillating through ball.

It's really not "all about consistency". At any level of football. It's about scoring more goals than the opposition and you could argue that is really all it is about. In that respect for me, Bacuna is worth his defensive deficiencies.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Can't pass but made arguably two of the best passes for us this season. That pass to Hutton against Bournemouth and the one to Cleverley. Can't pass though.

They were great passes, for sure, but are hardly indicative of his overall passing ability. It's all about consistency at this level; if he could do that a lot more frequently, he'd be a much better player but he's just as likely to give it to the opposition as he is play a scintillating through ball.

It's really not "all about consistency". At any level of football. It's about scoring more goals than the opposition and you could argue that is really all it is about. In that respect for me, Bacuna is worth his defensive deficiencies.

Of course there are two sides to how you score more goals than the opposition. 

1. Score more

2. Concede less

So his defensive deficiencies would certainly have a place in the discussion as it goes directly to point 2.

That said I have never liked Hutton in a Villa shirt.  It's hard to defend some of his (how shall I call them) "aggressive" antics on the pitch.

Of course there are two sides to how you score more goals than the opposition.

1. Score more

2. Concede less

So his defensive deficiencies would certainly have a place in the discussion as it goes directly to point 2.

I covered that ;)

Hutton is a lot more defensively solid though - that's why I'd prefer him to Bacuna.

Really though, I'd like us to sign someone better than both of them. 

Against lower half teams.

Hutton got taken to the cleaners v Arsenal.

Maybe play Bacuna in home games and Hutton in the away games is what Sherwood might do.

Hutton is a lot more defensively solid though - that's why I'd prefer him to Bacuna.

Maybe play Bacuna in home games and Hutton in the away games is what Sherwood might do.

Or maybe get a new bloody RB!

• Like 1

So it's not about consistency, unless you score more goals than the opposition as regularly as possible...

Yeah but Bacuna gets taken to the cleaner by QPR level teams.

Sigh.

Didn't watch that one then?

EDIT - In fact, that game summed up his abilities very well. Did well going forward but defensively poor. I'd rather just play him as a winger.

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

So it's not about consistency, unless you score more goals than the opposition as regularly as possible...

I assumed you were talking about consistency within a game, as in movement to movement, because his goal/assist to minute ratio is excellent. As we have already discussed.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

In fairness the WHOLE team got taken to the cleaners against Arsenal.

I assumed you were talking about consistency within a game, as in movement to movement, because his goal/assist to minute ratio is excellent. As we have already discussed.

Consistency is consistency - playing to a good standard throughout games and seasons. He is consistently bad at defending but has shown some consistency in attacking terms.

All that shows is that if we're giving him game time, he needs to be in an attacking role.

Personally if he is to start I think it should only be right back, if he can just improve the defensive side of his game a little (easy said) he would be very good there. I just don't think he has enough in his game to push for a start anywhere else. He could play on the wing but he'd need to be a hug the touch line winger and that doesn't really fit in with the likely formations and he doesn't really take on players, his runs are about space, pace and timing which he utilises quite well at right back.

I thought he was pretty awful yesterday tbh.  For me he is second choice right back, mainly because we can’t afford £8m on a better replacement. For the right midfielder/wing we need someone with more pace and guile - a genuine threat.  Something in the mould of Chamberlain or Townsend.