Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Yet another game we win with him playing at RB....

Not sure what people's fascination is with that position....we have Leo, Hutton and potentially Richards as options so not sure what people want. We can't attract people like Clyne to this club.

Not a brilliant game, but good to see him sticking to defensive duties and doing generally well after we took the lead. Still not convinced about him as first choice RB, though.

With everyone fit, I think we've got a potentially pretty solid defence with right back being the one I would look at strengthening before the deadline, though I would like a CB to add depth to the squad. That said I don't mind Bacuna and as it stands I think he should be our first choice RB. I'd like us to improve on him, though I've said it before but right back is his only effective position. Playing further up field he is completely nullified, as it is attacking from RB that gives him space to make an impact, he just doesn't get that space and can't work it for himself in a more attacking position.

If he is RB throughout the season then at least he is likely to create at a least as many goals as he could give away.

• Like 2

Not a brilliant game, but good to see him sticking to defensive duties and doing generally well after we took the lead. Still not convinced about him as first choice RB, though.

With everyone fit, I think we've got a potentially pretty solid defence with right back being the one I would look at strengthening before the deadline, though I would like a CB to add depth to the squad. That said I don't mind Bacuna and as it stands I think he should be our first choice RB. I'd like us to improve on him, though I've said it before but right back is his only effective position. Playing further up field he is completely nullified, as it is attacking from RB that gives him space to make an impact, he just doesn't get that space and can't work it for himself in a more attacking position.

If he is RB throughout the season then at least he is likely to create at a least as many goals as he could give away.

I agree with all of that tbf. I like Bacuna, but he's a player it's difficult to know what to do with. Play him at RB and he'll create a decent number of goals, but he doesn't really look a premier league RB. Play him anywhere else and he looks lost. We could do worse with him at RB this season because as you say at least he'll create, but the discrepancy now in quality between LB and RB is a glaring imbalance in our team.

If we want to improve on Bacuna as a right back, he needs to be told that he is a right back and schooled as a right back, not a midfielder.

He has great potential as RB, but some of his weaknesses could have been worked on in pre-season. I'm not convinced that actually happened as he was playing in midfield in pre-season, so how is that making him a better full back?

Defensively he went missing too often today for me and left Richards exposed and having to cover for him. As I said in the Richards thread against United I would bring Hutton back in as Ash Young will have a field day up against Bacuna.

Edited by markavfc40

I think we'll see him play RB against lower sides and Hutton brought in against the harder oppenents. He is still only young and can learn to transition into this position. He isn't quick or skillful enough to play RM. Could turn out to be a decent attacking RB in the future.

I think we'll see him play RB against lower sides and Hutton brought in against the harder oppenents. He is still only young and can learn to transition into this position. He isn't quick or skillful enough to play RM. Could turn out to be a decent attacking RB in the future.

Could be right e.g. the cup final.

Thing is to me Hutton struggles against the quick players aswell, he also usually gets booked after 20 minutes aswell which limits him.

We shall see. If he was picked today I suspect he will get the nod against Man U too

Defensively he went missing too often today for me and left Richards exposed and having to cover for him. As I said in the Richards thread against United I would bring Hutton back in as Ash Young will have a field day up against Bacuna.

This...Richards got him out the brown stuff way to often. Better sides will pinpoint his defensive weakness & exploit it. Hutton needs to come in vs Man U.

Not sure about playing him against Man U. Him against Ashley Young might not go to well

Playing him against United would be utterly mad. I don't expect Sherwood to - I think Hutton'll go there. 

I wonder whether TS will go horses for courses at RB through out the season. ie Bacuna against the so called lesser sides where we want to be getting at them and Hutton against the top teams where we can't afford Bacunas hesitant defending.

Not sure what people's fascination is with that position....we have Leo, Hutton and potentially Richards as options so not sure what people want. We can't attract people like Clyne to this club.

We can attract Amavi. We just need a right back version of him!  :)

Not impressed with him today, no real quality in his passes like he usually has and was out of position too often.

Agreed, he struggled.

Did a decent enough job, we didn't concede, but it's not serving him well to play that position. With Gestede on the pitch I'd put him as a winger. As a CM he isn't good enough at holding his position, at RB he can't tackle, but going forward he has a trick and an ability to whack in a cross....though preseason his crossing has been dire.

He's a clever player who makes mistakes because he tries things others don't, whether that's a good thing we'll find out as time goes by but there's definitely  a talented player in there somewhere.