Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Winger: he can cross well, he's pretty athletic but his passing isn't great and neither is his dribbling.

Fullback: Crossing and athleticism, yes. Positioning, nope. Tackling, so-so. 

CM: Got the athleticism, not enough of a range of passing, technique isn't good enough. 

From that, I'd take the following:

Winger: Crossing and athleticism already there, passing and dribbling can be coached

Fullback: Crossing and athleticism already there, tackling can be coached to a certain extent, positioning not quite so much

CM: Athleticism already there, range of passing can be coached, technique can be improved but only to a certain level

For me, that points at winger being the best position for him at Villa - the others just need a little too much work.

However, there's a fourth option: wing back, should we play with 3 centre backs. He's got the athleticism and crossing, the positioning shortcomings can be offset somewhat by playing Richards on his side of central defence, getting back and hassling players would be more relevant than straight up tackling, and it plays to his ability to pick a ball as opposed to just crossing. IF, and it's a big if, we do play that system, I fully expect Leandro to be the RWB with Richards behind him, serving as both CB and RB depending on where Bacuna is on the pitch at any given time. You're very dependent on having a LWB who can play as a regular LB in that situation though (letting us change shape to a flat back 4 if/when Bacuna is too far up the pitch to get back and we're hit on a break), and we haven't got one at the moment who can do that.

Additionally, you need to be quite strong on the left hand side of the pitch further up in this case, too. Otherwise everything is coming from our right and it's too easy to defend against. Jack to take a slightly wider role on the left hand side to balance that out perhaps?

Edited by P3te

He's almost 24 - you can't improve your dribbling or passing THAT much if the talent isn't there.

That all depends on whether he's been focusing on it in training or not previously

You can't coach talent P3te, you really can't. People have different ceilings of ability and I just don't think he's got it in him.

I really hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a big success but I'm doubtful, obviously. 

Am I the only one not entirely convinced yet by Bacuna?  I mean I like the guy.  He's a good squad player and he has goals and set pieces in his locker.  I want him to do well and I enjoy his good performances because he's got a kind of cult status.  But having him in the first team ... I dunno, I just can't shake the feeling that he's part of that influx of players that didn't fully measure up.  Maybe I'm wrong and I'd certainly like to be.  But if you do up a starting 11 for Villa as it stands and he's a part of it, then for me I think he'd be one of the weaker players.

• Like 1

Am I the only one not entirely convinced yet by Bacuna?  I mean I like the guy.  He's a good squad player and he has goals and set pieces in his locker.  I want him to do well and I enjoy his good performances because he's got a kind of cult status.  But having him in the first team ... I dunno, I just can't shake the feeling that he's part of that influx of players that didn't fully measure up.  Maybe I'm wrong and I'd certainly like to be.  But if you do up a starting 11 for Villa as it stands and he's a part of it, then for me I think he'd be one of the weaker players.

I think the issue we have is we never actually give him a position, he's like the utility man. I think if we actually kept him at RB, he'd get better and better at it.

Can't pass but made arguably two of the best passes for us this season. That pass to Hutton against Bournemouth and the one to Cleverley. Can't pass though.

You can coach certain skills though, and I think adequate dribbling is one

I think he lacks that one thing that makes him a good player....consistency

He can do most of the things top players can do....but not that often.

• Like 1

Can't pass but made arguably two of the best passes for us this season. That pass to Hutton against Bournemouth and the one to Cleverley. Can't pass though.

They were great passes, for sure, but are hardly indicative of his overall passing ability. It's all about consistency at this level; if he could do that a lot more frequently, he'd be a much better player but he's just as likely to give it to the opposition as he is play a scintillating through ball. 

• Like 1

It's the one thing that makes our results up and down....players consistency levels

That is what TS is working on.

On their day they are all good.

Ps not saying get rid.....I think of all the iffy ones, he is one of the best.

Edited by TRO

Hopefully it's what Ray Wilkins will bring with him too.  A demand for consistency having been used to a higher standard. 

• Like 1

They were great passes, for sure, but are hardly indicative of his overall passing ability. It's all about consistency at this level; if he could do that a lot more frequently, he'd be a much better player but he's just as likely to give it to the opposition as he is play a scintillating through ball. 

You say he isn't great at passing however let's compare him to the other RB you say we should stick with i.e. Hutton.

Hutton pass success % was at 76.4

Bacuna pass success % was at 78.6

Considering he only made 10 starts in the PL last season and got 5 assists. Hutton got 0 and he started 27 games in the PL. Like I said if we work with him and make him into a full-back instead of a utility man we can make him into a well-rounded full-back.