U.S. Politics

maqroll

What's more interesting is if the Republicans will oppose Trump as a candidate or just nominate him directly. You would have to assume that if he goes through the primary process there's a lot dirt that will come out about him. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I assume the Republicans are immediately going to call it all fraud and an illegitimate election process.

Some of them called it a fraud before it happened. At least one of them said days ago that if she didn't win, it was 100% because the vote was rigged.

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I assume the Republicans are immediately going to call it all fraud and an illegitimate election process.

That started months ago.

Basically if they won it would be vindication of how they're actually what America wants, and if they didn't it was all fixed.

It's this kind of 'thinking' that makes you realise that the world is ****.

Am I right in understanding that the republican voter mass seems to have actually shown that they can use their moral compass if the representative is cooky enough?

Hopefully they can get rid of McCarthy and the rest of Trump's lapdogs once Trump's worst qanon goons are out of the houses?

I just read something astonishing. 

Trump saying he would reveal damaging things about a member of his own party (DiSantis) if he runs for Pres. 

Lets think for a minute about how bats**t crazy that is. Blackmail pure and simple. On a member of his own party. Who are on the verge of retaking the Senate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Trump saying he would reveal damaging things about a member of his own party (DiSantis) if he runs for Pres. 

Lets think for a minute about how bats**t crazy that is. Blackmail pure and simple. On a member of his own party. Who are on the verge of retaking the Senate. 

They made a deal with the devil in 2016. 

Quite funny seeing some of the things the likes of Lindsay Graham said before Trump won the republican nomination. 

7 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

They will likely be competing to be the Republican nominee for the 2024 presidential election.

Trump is trying to intimidate DiSantis to get him to back out and wait until 2028 to run. 

It will be quite fun if DiSantis decides to go head to head with Trump anyway. 

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Am I right (see what I did there) in thinking that Disantis is a bit more of a moderate than Trump? Would a Disantis Presidency be much better than a Trump one? Asking those who live in the states or know what they are talking about. 

He opposed Muller, but looking superficially at his history he does seem slightly less of a whack-job. 

It’s hard to know. He’s deliberately positioned himself as being as culturally extreme as Trump, but without being as irrational or incompetent, because that’s the most plausible path to the Republican nomination.

It’s possible he’d tack towards moderation for the election proper, and perhaps even further in office. He was formerly more moderate (although you can say that about most Republicans).

But equally he might not. Would Trumpism work if you don’t fully commit to it?

TBH even if his policies are identical DeSantis would be better than Trump because he’s not an idiot. I can’t imagine him believing Putin over his own intelligence services, for example.

I think if he ran he’d win the nomination. I also think there’s a reasonable chance Trump would run as an independent out of spite if that happened, which would be hilarious!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s hard to know. He’s deliberately positioned himself as being as culturally extreme as Trump, but without being as irrational or incompetent, because that’s the most plausible path to the Republican nomination.

It’s possible he’d tack towards moderation for the election proper, and perhaps even further in office. He was formerly more moderate (although you can say that about most Republicans).

But equally he might not. Would Trumpism work if you don’t fully commit to it?

TBH even if his policies are identical DeSantis would be better than Trump because he’s not an idiot. I can’t imagine him believing Putin over his own intelligence services, for example.

I think if he ran he’d win the nomination. I also think there’s a reasonable chance Trump would run as an independent out of spite if that happened, which would be hilarious!

Trump running as an independent would be immense I would think?  Would split the Republican vote massively and Dems would clean up?

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Trump running as an independent would be immense I would think?  Would split the Republican vote massively and Dems would clean up?

Indeed, I would love that. I was hoping to see it in 2016, but alas. 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

What's more interesting is if the Republicans will oppose Trump as a candidate or just nominate him directly. You would have to assume that if he goes through the primary process there's a lot dirt that will come out about him. 

you would think that at one point, we'd have gone through all the dirt about Trump. Interesting if he would turn against DeSantis, because I think Trump might lose that.

2 hours ago, AXD said:

you would think that at one point, we'd have gone through all the dirt about Trump. Interesting if he would turn against DeSantis, because I think Trump might lose that.

He already did, at the rally the other day he called him DeSanctimonious, which didn’t go down as well as he thought it would especially on social media and right wing media.

Edited by nick76

More of a red ripple than the wave many predicted. Biden's very low popularity, struggling economy and the traditional mid-term shellacking for the party in power just haven't materialized.

Is it just possible that the Trump madness is starting to slip and the chickens are coming home to roost? Stability is a lot more appealing to most than chaos.

As for DeSantis,  he doesn't have a particularly long political record to analyze. His handling of Covid was reckless IMO which doesn't fill me with much confidence. But as @Panto_Villan said he has probably positioned himself culturally on the far right because that was politically expedient (as Florida is full of rednecks and whackos.) Would he be a rational President? 

What I could see happening is he wins the primary for the nomination and all of the die-hard Trump/Q'ers refuse to vote for him handing the Dems another win. That would be gloriously fun. Although don't put it past the Dems to go for the lay up, rebound it off the glass straight into their own hoop.

This was quite the week for me to be teaching US history lessons on the Constitution & the structure of the US Gov. Very interesting real-life applications for my kids. 

Still bemused by the fact that 89-year young Chuck Grassley ran for re-election and won another 6-year term. an 89-year-old winning another 6 years? what are the odds he even survives it? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He already did, at the rally the other day he called him DeSanctimonious, which didn’t go down as well as he thought it would especially on social media and right wing media.

You'd think that someone who's name means 'awful smelling gas from the breakdown of digesting food' would lay off the attacks on pronouns. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

This was quite the week for me to be teaching US history lessons on the Constitution & the structure of the US Gov. Very interesting real-life applications for my kids. 

Still bemused by the fact that 89-year young Chuck Grassley ran for re-election and won another 6-year term. an 89-year-old winning another 6 years? what are the odds he even survives it? 

I should probably sit in one of your  lessons because I do not understand this whole 2 house thing and especially that the sitting elected President can't get any laws passed unless he controls both of them...... Which he probably won't. 

Seems insane to me. 

15 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Sleepy Joe is president and his direct rival was 79 year old Bernie Sanders. 

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

You'd think that someone who's name means 'awful smelling gas from the breakdown of digesting food' would lay off the attacks on pronouns. 

Goddam pronouns. They're unnatural and un American. Should be banned. 

Â