U.S. Politics

maqroll

The political support ranged from money to TV ads and email blasts. What made it unusual is where it came from, and what it was meant to do: Back in the primary season, a number of Democrats tried to boost far-right Republican candidates whom they deemed easier to beat in November.

The strategy seems to have paid off: In high-profile races where Democratic candidates or groups successfully used the strategy during the primaries, all of the Republicans they helped have either lost or are trailing, two days after Election Day.

The tactic drew headlines and warnings that the Democrats were playing with fire — especially after polls showed some of the targeted races tightening this fall. After all, the Democrats were spending resources on their rivals' behalf, including several Trump loyalists. And they did so at the expense of moderates, writing off hopes of a less strident discourse.

Of course, not all of the far-right candidates supported by Democratic groups won their primary races — in fact, far from it. In September, an analysis by The Washington Post found that seven of 13 Democrat-backed Republican candidates lost their primaries after having more than a combined $12 million spent on their behalf.

[...] more on link

npr

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

npr

Sounds familiar 🤔

Why Tories should join Labour and back Jeremy Corbyn

For just a £3 membership fee you can help consign the party to electoral oblivion in 2020 - and silence its loony Left forever

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11680016/Why-Tories-should-join-Labour-and-back-Jeremy-Corbyn.html

Edited by LondonLax

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Dems have won Nevada meaning that they hold the majority in the Senate (or at least the VP can break the tie if the Republicans win Georgia in December.)

This is huge. People predicting a red wave were wrong and in spite of everything seemingly against him, Biden looks like a much stronger candidate than even 2 years ago.

Ha ha f**k you Trump and the rest of your scumbag, thieving, malicious, poisonous, crooked party. 

Thank McGrath.   I was expecting the worst.  Can’t say that my faith in “democracy” is completely restored, but it sure helps.

• Like 1

Dems have won Nevada meaning that they hold the majority in the Senate (or at least the VP can break the tie if the Republicans win Georgia in December.)

This is huge. People predicting a red wave were wrong and in spite of everything seemingly against him, Biden looks like a much stronger candidate than even 2 years ago.

Ha ha f**k you Trump and the rest of your scumbag, thieving, malicious, poisonous, crooked party. 

I actually starting unfolllwing a lot of people last week because of all the talk of red waves. 

But it feels as though Americans are rejecting what republicans are putting out there. And especially Trumpism, which can only be a good thing for the world. 

I seriously hope we can start to do the same the next GE.

• Like 2

I guess there’s an argument to be made about whether Biden specifically is looking like a strong candidate or not. I’ve seen quite a few opinion pieces arguing he shouldn’t run again.

Personally I think he wins the Biden vs Trump matchup, because Trump is such damaged goods at this point (and that’s what these elections are showing, along with a pushback against the loss of abortion rights).

But I think he’ll lose against DeSantis, who is barely half his age and more likely to be the Republican candidate imo. I think the democrats (and America) would be much better off with someone like Newsom tbh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I’m not American but enjoy the drama of American politics so watch a lot from both sides.  

As I said a few pages ago before the election I thought Dem would keep the Senate, and Republicans would get the house.  I said the House swing would be by 40 votes but the poor performance by the Republicans has not even going to get that.  

The passion of Red Wave or Blue resilience clouded a lot of Americans but it seemed fairly obvious only the House was going to change parties it was just about how much or as it seems so little.

For somebody who trades in American shares, having a split government is generally good for shares so I’m happy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Does having just 1 of the houses help any?

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes. Holding the Senate is important for appointments, and for blocking any hostile legislation coming from a GOP controlled House. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Senators serve 6 year terms so it’s always good to win senate seats, and while you need both houses to pass legislation it’s obviously easier to only need Republican assistance in one house than both.

Also the Senate specifically is the one that gives approval for judicial and government posts, so it’s quite important. It’s how the Republicans have engineered their dominance of the Supreme Court.

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Yes. Holding the Senate is important for appointments, and for blocking any hostile legislation coming from a GOP controlled House. 

To be fair the president can just veto any legislation from congress that he doesn’t like, so that second part is only relevant if you’re the party in opposition.

Edited by Panto_Villan

41 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

To be fair the president can just veto any legislation from congress that he doesn’t like, so that second part is only relevant if you’re the party in opposition.

Well, yes and no. Of course, a congressional veto override majority is almost merely a theoretical concept in this day and age, but politically it’s always nice for a president to not have to veto anyway. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I guess there’s an argument to be made about whether Biden specifically is looking like a strong candidate or not. I’ve seen quite a few opinion pieces arguing he shouldn’t run again.

Personally I think he wins the Biden vs Trump matchup, because Trump is such damaged goods at this point (and that’s what these elections are showing, along with a pushback against the loss of abortion rights).

But I think he’ll lose against DeSantis, who is barely half his age and more likely to be the Republican candidate imo. I think the democrats (and America) would be much better off with someone like Newsom tbh.

Newsom has said over and over that he isn't running.

Tell you what, the new Governor of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro is a mighty impressive speaker. Forceful, articulate, passionate and unapologetic. He'll make a very interesting candidate for President some day.

Biden has pretty solid political instincts but his age and performances in public are a liability. 

It's a conundrum for Dems. Stick or twist. 

DeSantis will make Biden look even worse. 

Newsom would meet him head on.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Newsom has said over and over that he isn't running.

Tell you what, the new Governor of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro is a mighty impressive speaker. Forceful, articulate, passionate and unapologetic. He'll make a very interesting candidate for President some day.

Biden has pretty solid political instincts but his age and performances in public are a liability. 

It's a conundrum for Dems. Stick or twist. 

DeSantis will make Biden look even worse. 

Newsom would meet him head on.

Can the Dems wait until after the Republican primaries to see who runs for them and if it's Trump, Biden stays on, if it's someone else he stands aside for someone younger, even if it's on 'health' grounds pretty close to the election?

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Can the Dems wait until after the Republican primaries to see who runs for them and if it's Trump, Biden stays on, if it's someone else he stands aside for someone younger, even if it's on 'health' grounds pretty close to the election?

They'd fall way behind on fundraising and campaigning if they did that. 

No matter what happens, you can bank on the Dems making the worst possible decisions. 

The voters bail out the party time and time again.

Â