U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

His supporters think anything other than Trump getting exactly what he wants is a politically motivated conspiracy against them. The only way you don't get them up in arms is giving them what they want, in which case everyone suffers. So **** em.

If the totem leader of their movement suddenly died on the campaign trail for reelection, after previously having his second term denied by a rigged election, I have no doubt it would be the event that triggered many of them to take up weapons. 

Personally I’m hoping Trump is soundly beaten the election and slips away to relative obscurity. 

19 minutes ago, villakram said:

That's a tad too deep down the hyperbole hole.

The world now is not all that much worse than most of the last couple hundred years... at least.

Worst economically, socially, geopolitically and environmentally in my lifetime, and I'm 42. 

Environmentally it is empirically the worst situation the world has been in for at least 150,000 years, and probably more than 1 million years. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, sne said:

Even if Trump died I'm fairly sure they could do a Weekends at Bernie's style tour with his bloated corpse and he'd still get a solid support.

I don’t think a lot of MAGA fans would believe he’s dead anyway, they still think JFK jr is alive.  If Trump gets announced dead at some point the MAGA fans won’t believe the news (“Fake News”) or believe he’s going to make a great reveal of some kind with some massive news of the swamp or some stupid thing…QANON would go into overdrive.  Or if they believe he’s dead they would probably go with the Dems took him out because he was revealing too many truths or some dumb thing like that.  Trump dying will just make things as bad but in a different way to now.

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I still think that even if the Republicans do well next week, Trump would do worse in an election.  There must be a load of sane moderate Republicans who hate him surely.

I hate to break it to you.......

Most have been pushed out of the party, will lose to the "election truthers" (see Liz Cheney) or have been intimidated to not run again (see Kinzinger.)

It's a Trump cult and for most its not worth the fear and threats that come with opposing him. Take the guy that ran the company that makes the election machines for some states - he's not even a politician FFS. The conspiracy theories about Chavez etc. were pushed so hard by the MAGA/QAnon lot, that the guy had to go into hiding with his whole family under FBI protection. How is that in anyone's world a sane thing to be happening? It's the stuff you used to read about happening in none functioning countries around the world.

Trump narcissism has caused all of this. The game play of "lets do 50 despicable things" so everyones head is spinning and any opposition can't focus on one issue is like a psy-op. His cult members love it because it's "sticking it to  <insert any bogeyman or whoever you have a grievance with> It it wasn't so sad and transparent it would be admirable. It just shows how shallow, uneducated and how little self respect the majority of people actually have. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Most have been pushed out of the party, will lose to the "election truthers" (see Liz Cheney) or have been intimidated to not run again (see Kinzinger.)

It's a Trump cult and for most its not worth the fear and threats that come with opposing him. Take the guy that ran the company that makes the election machines for some states - he's not even a politician FFS. The conspiracy theories about Chavez etc. were pushed so hard by the MAGA/QAnon lot, that the guy had to go into hiding with his whole family under FBI protection. How is that in anyone's world a sane thing to be happening? It's the stuff you used to read about happening in none functioning countries around the world.

Trump narcissism has caused all of this. The game play of "lets do 50 despicable things" so everyones head is spinning and any opposition can't focus on one issue is like a psy-op. His cult members love it because it's "sticking it to  <insert any bogeyman or whoever you have a grievance with> It it wasn't so sad and transparent it would be admirable. It just shows how shallow, uneducated and how little self respect the majority of people actually have. 

I think Sharky meant that moderate Republican voters maybe reluctant to vote for Trump.  I’m not saying they’d vote for Biden if Dem nominee in 2024 but they might not vote at all.  

Whereas an independent or a not bothered Dem voter maybe more energised if they hate Trump to vote against him.  I think this was a big factor in 2020 and probably will be in 2024 if Trump runs.

edit: just seen this on Twitter.  DeSantis fans in the comment section are a bit over Trump 

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yeah my point was more a mathematical one, I suspect Trump will run again for the reasons you state but America is almost always 51-49 for either party, the last couple of times Trump lost the popular vote and the second time lost the overall election, so in my head means he will have to attract new voters to win when there must be a fairly significant of non-MAGA clearings in the woods who vote Republican that hate him for the Capitol riots at least.  He needs to pick up votes and I'm not sure where they are coming from.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah my point was more a mathematical one, I suspect Trump will run again for the reasons you state but America is almost always 51-49 for either party, the last couple of times Trump lost the popular vote and the second time lost the overall election, so in my head means he will have to attract new voters to win when there must be a fairly significant of non-MAGA clearings in the woods who vote Republican that hate him for the Capitol riots at least.  He needs to pick up votes and I'm not sure where they are coming from.

If it didn't mean everyone else suffering also, I'd say that Trumpy Republican voters deserve to live in the dystopian future they are clamouring for. 

Can't we just make a version of the matrix full of gun crime, back street abortions, baby drop boxes, environmental collapse and never ending suffering and plug them all in, so they think they've won?

Edited by HKP90

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Can't we just make a version of the matrix full of gun crime, back street abortions, baby drop boxes, environmental collapse and never ending suffering and plug them all in, so they think they've won?

It’s called Texas isn’t it? 😂

gun crime ✅ even school shootings like Uvalde

back street abortions ✅ you can’t tell me some of those religious types aren’t having abortions and then preaching abortion is a sin. Even in Georgia, Herschel Walker is doing that very thing so I can believe it’s happening in Texas.

environmental collapse ✅ Texas grid going down, Ted Cruz goes to Cancun

Edited by nick76

22 hours ago, sne said:

What a utterly baffling country this is.

Foundling wheels, as they used to be called in the UK, have long been a feature in America, and I think they use fire stations.

It was meant to stop the practice of using "baby farms", in the late Victorian era, where women took newborns for a fee, and let them die when the money ran out.

7 hours ago, villakram said:

This election is all about inflation. The Dems will get slaughtered because its midterms and inflation. If you are in charge, the big pile of steaming shit is yours. Same as it ever was. 

I don’t think they’ll be slaughtered, they’ll lose the house as usual probably a swing of 40 seats but I think they might keep the Senate based on everything I’ve seen.

Â