U.S. Politics

maqroll

20 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Surprised the Biden speech yesterday hasn't got more attention in the news. 

We've got the president of the United States telling people that democracy is under threat. 

I hope the American people listen. I worry too many don't care because it means their side won. 

About half will, the other half won't.

That's the problem, and that is why it is going to be Biden- Trump II in a couple of years time which will be fun.

31 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

About half will, the other half won't.

That's the problem, and that is why it is going to be Biden- Trump II in a couple of years time which will be fun.

And i think trump will win this time

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And i think trump will win this time

Every year America is getting more diverse and urban so demographically  he shouldn't. Though the electoral college does negate some of that as it is basically a undemocratic handbrake.  Depends if Democrats will be as motivated to come out and vote after a mixed first term for Biden.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Every year America is getting more diverse and urban so demographically  he shouldn't. Though the electoral college does negate some of that as it is basically a undemocratic handbrake.  Depends if Democrats will be as motivated to come out and vote after a mixed first term for Biden.

They need to get rid of biden if they have any hope of winning. Id say most candidates would beat trump. Biden on the other hand...

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They need to get rid of biden if they have any hope of winning. Id say most candidates would beat trump. Biden on the other hand...

No chance. No other candidate could raise as much money as he does. If they appoint a progressive they would lose. It is going to be two old men saying the same things again.

A war between Iran and US-supported Saudi Arabia will probably throw a spanner in the works for Trump and the Republicans. If Biden and his team has any sort of clue they'll dig out as much dirt on the pro-Putin part of the Republicans as possible and just repeat it in any debate until the election. America is widely in favour of Ukraine so this should hit home even with most Republicans.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

A war between Iran and US-supported Saudi Arabia will probably throw a spanner in the works for Trump and the Republicans. If Biden and his team has any sort of clue they'll dig out as much dirt on the pro-Putin part of the Republicans as possible and just repeat it in any debate until the election. America is widely in favour of Ukraine so this should hit home even with most Republicans.

I get the impression most republicans are win at all costs. That truth and consistency doesn't matter. 

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I get the impression most republicans are win at all costs. That truth and consistency doesn't matter. 

Which is true, but it doesn't change the fact that wars are essentially a thing which unites most Americans. Anyone found to be pro-Putin will get their share in debates moving forward, and the republican party has many of them on the right of their party. 

Even mad hat conspiracy nuts see that what Putin is doing is wrong, and most main stream older republicans still remember what the Cold War was like. It's not good for the republicans to have serving members of the senate and house which openly cozies up to Putin even when he's doing what he's currently doing in Ukraine. There's still something like 80% support for US aid of Ukraine, so even McCarthy and McConnell will need to keep their loud mouth Russian operatives to the right of their wings quiet.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

No chance. No other candidate could raise as much money as he does. If they appoint a progressive they would lose. It is going to be two old men saying the same things again.

I’m in favour of Buttigieg. He might not be able to raise as much money, but he’s a centrist, articulate and has been on fox often enough and they got nothing on him (yet).

nobody over 65 should be allowed to run.

Edited by AXD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Which is true, but it doesn't change the fact that wars are essentially a thing which unites most Americans. Anyone found to be pro-Putin will get their share in debates moving forward, and the republican party has many of them on the right of their party. 

Even mad hat conspiracy nuts see that what Putin is doing is wrong, and most main stream older republicans still remember what the Cold War was like. It's not good for the republicans to have serving members of the senate and house which openly cozies up to Putin even when he's doing what he's currently doing in Ukraine. There's still something like 80% support for US aid of Ukraine, so even McCarthy and McConnell will need to keep their loud mouth Russian operatives to the right of their wings quiet.

Dj2e0w9VAAAraKs?format=jpg&name=medium

Although in a world that made sense you should be correct, the evidence is already out there that you are sadly wrong.

It's about my team versus yours - critical thinking and any sense of moral compass be damned. The irony is that Putin has had a huge hand in creating this environment.

• Like 2

Scoop: Trump team eyes Nov. 14 announcement

Former President Trump's inner circle is discussing announcing the launch of a 2024 presidential campaign on Nov. 14 — with the official announcement possibly followed by a multi-day series of political events, according to three sources familiar with the sensitive discussions.

Why it matters: Trump and his top advisers have been signaling for weeks that a 2024 announcement is imminent. But those discussions have reached the point that allies are blocking off days in their calendars for the week after the midterms — and preparing to travel.

What we're hearing: With polls pointing toward a good night for Republicans on Tuesday, Trump plans to surf the GOP's expected post-midterm euphoria to build momentum for his own effort to retake the White House.

• Look for Trump to take credit for Republican victories across the board —including those he propelled with his endorsements, and even those he had nothing to do with.

Between the lines: Trump has long planned to announce shortly after midterms — and even toyed with announcing before Nov. 8 — in an effort to get ahead of potential rivals for the GOP's 2024 nomination, including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

• In recent weeks, Trump has been inching closer and closer to saying he is running, relishing the applause as he hints to his rally crowds that he's doing it.
  • At his Thursday rally in Sioux City, Iowa, Trump said: "In order to make our country successful and safe and glorious, I will very, very, very probably do it again ... Get ready that’s all I’m telling you — very soon. Get ready."

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/04/trump-presidential-run-2024-announcement

He's an overweight, unfit 76 year old hoping to take on the biggest job in the world in two years time - what are the odds on him making it to then?

If he runs and is successful he'll be the first man to ever become the oldest ever President twice and the third oldest-ever-President in a row.

If he's successful he'll be older than the man that became president 31 years before him.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's true that the world would benefit from Trump having a bad car accident/hot supplement/dodgy burger/massive ingestion of cholesterol.

I don’t think it would actually.

His supporters would immediately assume it was a politically motivated assassination and it could easily become a Franz Ferdinand type moment for the US. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think it would actually.

His supporters would immediately assume it was a politically motivated assassination and it could easily become a Franz Ferdinand type moment for the US. 

His supporters think anything other than Trump getting exactly what he wants is a politically motivated conspiracy against them. The only way you don't get them up in arms is giving them what they want, in which case everyone suffers. So **** em.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You mean he's there yelling "I'm just a crosshair, I'm just a shot away from you"?

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The world is in an awful state. It simply would not survive another Trump Presidency.

That's a tad too deep down the hyperbole hole.

The world now is not all that much worse than most of the last couple hundred years... at least.

Â