U.S. Politics

maqroll

38 minutes ago, villakram said:

Got to keep those donors happy.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-congress-progressives-withdraw-letter-urging-negotiations-end-ukraine-war-2022-10-25/

"The U.S. Congressional Progressive Caucus withdrew a letter to the White House urging a negotiated settlement to the war in Ukraine, the group's chairperson, Democratic Representative Pramila Jayapal, said on Tuesday." 

It may have been an old draft and leaked by someone with an agenda, but to think that the only thing the "progressives" can do is run away from it like it's on fire is sad. Bombs away!

Where the goddam hell have you been @villakram? We've been missing your distinctive viewpoints on here. By golly you've missed some debates to get stuck into.

Welcome back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villakram said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-congress-progressives-withdraw-letter-urging-negotiations-end-ukraine-war-2022-10-25/

"The U.S. Congressional Progressive Caucus withdrew a letter to the White House urging a negotiated settlement to the war in Ukraine, the group's chairperson, Democratic Representative Pramila Jayapal, said on Tuesday." 

It may have been an old draft and leaked by someone with an agenda, but to think that the only thing the "progressives" can do is run away from it like it's on fire is sad. Bombs away!

I thought this letter dated back to April and was never sent?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, villakram said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b4nu6ul6tbsxg2fhtvk5

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I thought this letter dated back to April and was never sent?

Ya, that's part of all the weirdness with this. Apparently, it was sent by "accident"/leaked or some such. I'm sure whatever happened will end up making them appear to be all to consistent and in line on this issue.  

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Thanks you good sir! Yay for baby, house/job move. Lots of life.  

In a weird way glad you're back Although it seems very well timed with November 8th around the corner........

I do miss an alternative point of view now and then, at least online. Living in Colorado for over 2 years has certainly introduced me to the "Pioneer spirit" politically.

Anyway, I have my route up through Wyoming into Canada planned already for 2024 when the mobs start hunting out the "Evil Dems." 🤨

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

Hey @villakram. What about Biden asking where the dead woman is?

fireworks-light.gif

Haha... Biden is amazing. Too bad the dems are keeping him in hiding as much as they can get away with.

Which is great given the large number of dems reaction to the Pennsylvania US senate race debate last night, where dem candidate Fetterman shit the bed. That's pretty understandable given he had a stroke only a few months back. Anyway, Dem operatives blaming his campaign for going ahead with the debate, better to have hid his poor physical condition from the electorate. Worked well enough with Biden I suppose. 

Good enough?

I am utterly terrified by the mid terms.

The fascist Republican party when in power will do what they have done in their states. Restrict voting rights, remove religious freedom , restrict freedom of speech, remove women's rights and of course all served with a slathering of open racism.

Republicans are a clear and present danger to American Democracy. 30% of the USA electorate are open fascists who want to remove Democracy in this country. Its truly terrifying for any sane person.

The USA already has an illegitimate supreme court which imposes its extremist religious beliefs on the country.  Wait till Republicans seize power. They wont ever let you vote them out again. Look at how they have corrupted elections in their states. You think i am exaggerating look at all the "moderate" Republicans who deluded themselves Republicans would never REALLY do what they say and remove religious freedom and women's rights. Never REALLY commit an insurrection. Until they did it. 

Be scared and vote anyone but a Republican if you are a decent person. This November could be a nightmare for the overwhelming majority of Americans who just want to have Republicans leave them the hell alone. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, villakram said:

Haha... Biden is amazing. Too bad the dems are keeping him in hiding as much as they can get away with.

Which is great given the large number of dems reaction to the Pennsylvania US senate race debate last night, where dem candidate Fetterman shit the bed. That's pretty understandable given he had a stroke only a few months back. Anyway, Dem operatives blaming his campaign for going ahead with the debate, better to have hid his poor physical condition from the electorate. Worked well enough with Biden I suppose. 

Good enough?

As a non-American I still follow American politics closely.  I think there are many politicians from both sides that are not physically or mentally in a fit condition to run for office.  The Fetterman case is that he’s recovering well from a stroke and will be fit for office whereas many others from both sides of the aisle won’t be.  You just have to look at Herschel Walker to see this, even excluding the abortion allegations claims.  

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

As a non-American I still follow American politics closely.  I think there are many politicians from both sides that are not physically or mentally in a fit condition to run for office.  The Fetterman case is that he’s recovering well from a stroke and will be fit for office whereas many others from both sides of the aisle won’t be.  You just have to look at Herschel Walker to see this, even excluding the abortion allegations claims.  

He might be... rather than will. A stroke is no small thing. 

I find it astonishing the amount of stuff that comes out about some of these people after the campaign is underway.

In more heartwarming news.

The US has decided to abandon the development of a new/updated sea based nuclear deterrent.  Though let's see what the bought and paid for in congress make of this... well and it is politically timely.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-scrap-sea-launched-nuclear-missile-despite-military-backing-2022-10-27/

"The decision to cancel the submarine-launched cruise missile could help President Joe Biden address calls from fellow Democrats to scale back America's nuclear arsenal without sacrificing major components of its nuclear "triad" of nuclear-tipped ground-based inter-continental ballistic missiles, nuclear-capable bomber aircraft and submarine-launched nuclear arms.

However, it is unclear if Congress, which could come under Republican control after next month's elections, will resist the efforts to scrap it."

In small print, they also suggest that nuclear responses to non-nuclear actions are now on the table as part of official US nuclear posture. 

16 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am utterly terrified by the mid terms.

The fascist Republican party when in power will do what they have done in their states. Restrict voting rights, remove religious freedom , restrict freedom of speech, remove women's rights and of course all served with a slathering of open racism.

Republicans are a clear and present danger to American Democracy. 30% of the USA electorate are open fascists who want to remove Democracy in this country. Its truly terrifying for any sane person.

The USA already has an illegitimate supreme court which imposes its extremist religious beliefs on the country.  Wait till Republicans seize power. They wont ever let you vote them out again. Look at how they have corrupted elections in their states. You think i am exaggerating look at all the "moderate" Republicans who deluded themselves Republicans would never REALLY do what they say and remove religious freedom and women's rights. Never REALLY commit an insurrection. Until they did it. 

Be scared and vote anyone but a Republican if you are a decent person. This November could be a nightmare for the overwhelming majority of Americans who just want to have Republicans leave them the hell alone. 

One definition of fascism has as its foundation, the melding of corporate & state. That ship sailed long ago and both parties are quite happy with it.

btw, what religious freedoms have been removed? (certain)Religions are getting more and more exemptions and privileges as the years go by, not less.

1 minute ago, villakram said:

One definition of fascism has as its foundation, the melding of corporate & state. That ship sailed long ago and both parties are quite happy with it.

btw, what religious freedoms have been removed? (certain)Religions are getting more and more exemptions and privileges as the years go by, not less.

My families religion (Episcopalian) believes abortion is a woman's right and in no way infanticide.

"The 1994 resolution establishing the Episcopal Church's position gave "unequivocal opposition to any legislative, executive or judicial action on the part of local, state or national governments that abridges the right of a woman to reach an informed decision about the termination of pregnancy or that would limit the access of a woman to safe means of acting on her decision."

My religion believes same sex couples are perfectly acceptable and make fine parents that the teaching of sexuality is a positive. 

Republicans are taking away my religious rights (and the majority of Americans) at the state level and working on federal bans.

So thats what I mean.

I agree about the definition of fascism btw. A fair correction. But there is no comparison between which the the more totalitarian /evil party trying to force its views on others. Its Republicans. Their dream for the USA is Putin's Russia. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, villakram said:

The definition of fascism has the state running corporations not the other way around.

• Like 1

So depressed about American politics, I can hardly click on this thread. I’ve been doing a lot of local activism for the last six years, but I had to drop it all this year for my own sanity, was just burnt out. So much hatred and ignorance and immaturity here in my country. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's a pretty fair summary of the state of US politics that we've spent the past couple of pages clarifying the definition of fascism and wondering how an oligarch will moderate free speech.

Could be worse I guess. We could have spent several pages debating whether or not to put butter on a sandwich. 

• Haha 1

Â