U.S. Politics

maqroll

20 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Not a great night for your boys. Do you think they will try and dump Trump now or double down? 

It’s not been a good three election cycles for those guys under Trumps umbrella what with 2018, 2020 and now 2022.  It won’t be the end for Trump but it seems they are realising he’s not the best thing for them as each cycle happens…

40 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Not a great night for your boys. Do you think they will try and dump Trump now or double down? 

My boys... hardly, but ok.

It's more likely that this is some form of return to political politics is local normality.

The Obama and Trump midterms were outliers only matched by Newt in 1994.

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Sleepy Joe is president and his direct rival was 79 year old Bernie Sanders. 

it is crazy that the two major presidential candidates in the last cycle were old men in their late seventies, I agree. And throw in Bernie as Biden's biggest competitor. 3 men in their 70s. Terrible

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

I should probably sit in one of your  lessons because I do not understand this whole 2 house thing and especially that the sitting elected President can't get any laws passed unless he controls both of them...... Which he probably won't. 

Seems insane to me. 

There is a long explanation behind that whole story. 

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A dream scenario for the Democrats is DeSantis getting the Republican Presidential  nomination and Trump standing as a independent to split the vote.

It's why they will put Trump forward. He has the Republicans by the balls. 'Back me for Pres, or I'll run as an independent and wreck your party.' They know what will happen.

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It's why they will put Trump forward. He has the Republicans by the balls. 'Back me for Pres, or I'll run as an independent and wreck your party.' They know what will happen.

They also face back him and he’ll wreck the party.

In two years time he’ll be facing that many legal actions from multiple directions, he may even be convicted of some of them, that he will be an absolute liability.

IIRC a president isn’t immune from prosecution if the proceedings began before he took office.

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

They also face back him and he’ll wreck the party.

In two years time he’ll be facing that many legal actions from multiple directions, he may even be convicted of some of them, that he will be an absolute liability.

IIRC a president isn’t immune from prosecution if the proceedings began before he took office.

Also I watched one of the media sections months ago that said there is nothing in the laws that means you can’t be President and also be in jail at the same time.  Never going to happen but if there is one first world country it could happen in, it would be America that the political leader is also in jail 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

A dream scenario for the Democrats is DeSantis getting the Republican Presidential  nomination and Trump standing as a independent to split the vote.

It's already turning nasty. 

Trump insulted him not long back and today on his social media platform mentioned how he got more votes in florida back in 2020. 

Surely if Trump runs again, Americans aren't stupid enough to make that mistake again. 

You also have to bear in mind that US politics is openly riddled with anti-democratic spoilers. Gerrymandering is taken to an obscene degree, with places carved up in completely stupid manner to achieve particular goals in votes, voter suppression is number 1 priority in numerous States where spurious claims of fraud are used to justify making it more difficult for the 'wrong type' of people to vote, and if it all goes wrong fall back on the filibuster - a nasty cynical tactic to just block legislation by timing it out - or the Supreme Court, which is openly partisan.

America is deeply conservative, in all of its meanings. It is set up to not change. Change is to be fought, undermined, hampered, hobbled and defied.

• Like 2

GOP tactics 101: Make government function as badly as possible by blocking any bill or policy that would improve it, make people lose trust in ‘the government’, campaign on a populist platform of reducing the government’s role in people’s lives.
(Don’t say out loud that this really means lower taxes for the super wealthy, ignore the obvious double standards and let the government invade people’s bedrooms and reproductive rights.) 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

America is deeply conservative, in all of its meanings. It is set up to not change. Change is to be fought, undermined, hampered, hobbled and defied.

According to Chomsky the whole consitution was set up to preserve rights and privileges of the property-owning classes.

No doubt in emulation of the British model.

• Like 1

Â