U.S. Politics

maqroll

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think they’ll be slaughtered, they’ll lose the house as usual probably a swing of 40 seats but I think they might keep the Senate based on everything I’ve seen.

We likely won't know until Jan given GA is likely to go to a run off... unless there is a true wave type election. This is unlikely with some 40m votes already cast, significantly damping the momentum of any last minute surges.

MI will be an interesting bellwether, with Whitmer somehow in a close race. I say this, as although she is self branded as a prog stalwart, she has on the whole governed from a fairly centrist position.  Her national profile etc., may be her undoing.

Nevada looking to be key to Democrats holding the Senate via Harris' tiebreaking vote.  The Dem has a 5-point lead with 1/2 the votes counted.  It all depends on which counties have yet to report.   If the Republican wins it will come down to a runoff in Georgia.   The candidate who kept the Dem and Republican from getting 50% there is a Libertarian, and you'd think his voters would lean Republican.  But they may have voted for him because the couldn't stomach Walker and thus would not vote at all in the runoff.

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sky news reporting that its not a great night for Trump. 

That's quite reassuring if true. 

Yeah I've had CNN on whi;st drifting in and out of sleep but they keep saying that mTrump type candidates are doing badly for the republicans and moderates (lol) are doing beter

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah I've had CNN on whi;st drifting in and out of sleep but they keep saying that mTrump type candidates are doing badly for the republicans and moderates (lol) are doing beter

It would be amusing if this encourages some republicans to now push back on Trump more. 

Although I do quite like the idea of Desantis and Trump splitting the party apart over the next 2 years. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

That’s probably good news for the Ukrainians. The traditional Republicans are usually even more hawkish than the Democrats. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It would be amusing if this encourages some republicans to now push back on Trump more. 

Although I do quite like the idea of Desantis and Trump splitting the party apart over the next 2 years. 

Trump has had a poor night and the backlash in right wing commentators is very interesting.  This article in the below tweet picks up some of those commentators.

• Like 1

The democrats got Pennsylvania. That is why I think Biden will run again even if he is doddery.  He delivers the rust belt to the Democrats which a younger more progressive candidate probably couldn't. Demographically that will probably become republican in time but Georgia and other southern states  could become blue if the population keeps on getting more diverse and younger. There is a lot of population change in the states.

• Like 1

But I don't understand.

Literally every news outlet has been saying that Trump backed nominations had a torrid night.  But he addressed a rally saying how he's got them all through and it had been a great night.

I just don't understand this, what do all these media outlets think they are doing?  If I didn't know better I would say someone is telling porkies!

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I guess as an outsider I'm still quite baffled by the fact that anyone, much less nearly half the population of the States would vote for a party whose head literally tried to destroy democracy during the last election. 

Even though it all seems to be going a bit better than predicted, it's still quite alarming how many of the results that are coming through basically seem to be stuff like Adolf Putin (R) 48.9% - 51.1% Wendy Normal (D) 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I guess as an outsider I'm still quite baffled by the fact that anyone, much less nearly half the population of the States would vote for a party whose head literally tried to destroy democracy during the last election. 

It's insane.  Actively using your democratic vote......to try and destroy democracy.

And women's rights.  In 2022 we're talking about the nation who leads The West taking away women's rights........

39 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Because they get all of their news from right wing poisonous echo chambers.

Am I right (see what I did there) in thinking that Disantis is a bit more of a moderate than Trump? Would a Disantis Presidency be much better than a Trump one? Asking those who live in the states or know what they are talking about. 

He opposed Muller, but looking superficially at his history he does seem slightly less of a whack-job. 

Edited by HKP90

Â