Jimzk5

19 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Absolutely, I don't think anyone who saw (and mainly heard) what happened wouldn't have been sickened by it.

There's massive questions to answer from the Arsenal side and for football as a whole why Luiz was allowed to play on. Complete reckless disregard for what had just occurred.

I have massive doubts about Jiminez playing again too. It's got all the signs of another Ryan Mason. Even if Jiminez wants to play again it'll be the doctors who ultimately sign off and be responsible for it. Mason was in rehab after his op and reported headaches and dizziness indicating a brain injury. If the same happens here then it'll invalidate any insurance Wolves have for him and he'll effectively be retired anyway. A couple of years ago my Mom had a stroke and died a few days later. In the days before it was apparent she wasn't going to recover one of the doctors told me "the brain is the least understood of all organs". With that experience in mind my non-medical opinion is that he shouldn't risk it.

Sorry about your mum, that must have been a very painful experience.

Yes, I agree about Luiz and why he was left on is a mystery. He had blood leaking from his wound out of his bandage and it is genuinely reckless leaving him on heading balls in that situation. Luckily he was taken off at HT but that was 30 mins too late. 

It's an incredibly tough situation to be in when football is your passion and your career, but I know I'd rather walk away with my health intact than risk something awful like going into a coma if it's aggravated. Very sad for Jimenez nonetheless.

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

I'm still gobsmacked that Luiz was a) allowed to play on and b) not immediately sent off. He was nowhere near winning that header.

He hit Jimenez's head so hard it made a gash in his forehead so deep it was bleeding through his bandages.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I can't bring myself to watch it. Feel awful for him. Could he play with a Cech helmet?

Cech was a keeper though and didn't need to head the ball regularly. Not sure it'd work for an outfield player. Happy to be proved wrong though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villalad21 said:

When pundits says "Something needs to change now"

What are they actually suggesting? Ban heading? Players wearing protective head gear?

I'm not saying these go far enough - I'm sure they don't - but some absolutely commonsense changes would be:

• Players do not carry on after suffering serious head injuries (not only Luiz; Johnstone also continued this weekend after sitting dazed on the turf for a while);
  • Whether a player has suffered a head injury is determined by an independent medic, not a club doctor;
  • Substitutions after a head injury do not count towards the maximum allowed, whatever that limit is

That's the absolute minimum that would require no changes to actual *sport* at all. Such changes are probably also necessary though.

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think heading will be banned in the next 25 years or so unless players wear protection

I agree, and I don't think the game will be much worse for it. To start with it'll be banned at youth levels, but then there will be the obvious question of why we allow it at senior levels when players are practicing it for the first time as adults.

The driver will be less this type of injury, which is a tragic isolated incident that is unfortunately just going to happen sometimes in a contact sport, and more the increasing links to dementia. I'm not sure there's any protection that's going to minimise the impact from that repetitive impact of high speed headers that would still allow the ball to be headed.

It'll be a big change to the sport, but it needs to happen IMO.

20 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Comparing the miniscule media coverage of a potentially career ending injury to the nonsense and overblown coverage VVD was given for being out a few months. 

It weird, i hardly even knew about it until i read it here on VT.

Has anyone got a link to see what happened?

• Like 1

Don Goodman came back from a similar injury and played for about 10 years, was talking about it on WM yesterday. Also Petr Cech from more recent times although he dosen't tend to go up for headers with position he plays and he could wear headgear.

Hopefully Raul can come back but certainly not going to be at any point this season. Guess he'll try in pre season and will be closely monitored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I agree, and I don't think the game will be much worse for it. To start with it'll be banned at youth levels, but then there will be the obvious question of why we allow it at senior levels when players are practicing it for the first time as adults.

The driver will be less this type of injury, which is a tragic isolated incident that is unfortunately just going to happen sometimes in a contact sport, and more the increasing links to dementia. I'm not sure there's any protection that's going to minimise the impact from that repetitive impact of high speed headers that would still allow the ball to be headed.

It'll be a big change to the sport, but it needs to happen IMO.

I do love seeing a good diving header scored but that's much less of that in the game now compard to 20-30 years ago.

One short term option is just to ban long goal kicks as that's where lots of heading duels occur. Plenty of teams just do short goal kicks passed out to nearest defender now so don't think that would be as drastic as banning corner and wide free kicks from being played at head height.

Â