Jimzk5

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The referee had little to do with the performance and result from what I saw, hell, he even gave them a penalty to make the scoreline more respectable.

And potentially should have sent one of the Wolves players off towards the end.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In every single Nuno interview I’ve ever seen he has never, ever commented on, or criticised, a referee.  Even when he had good grounds to do so.

That was my first thought, in the past he's allowed some really poor decisions that have gone against them to pass without comment, with a shrug or even a "referees do a tough job". You can tell he's been fuming, but he's always been one of those that has said there's no point in airing those grievances - it's one of the things I like about him.

This then seems sudden and incongruous, especially since having watched the game, I can't see it in the performance of the referee. It's an odd one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I didn’t see the game so can’t comment on the merits or otherwise of views he expressed, ultimately that doesn’t really matter though. You seem to be of the view the criticism of Mason is valid and the truth, I’m less clear on that.

What I would say is that Nuno in his time at Wolves has enjoyed almost constant success, there have been very few set backs and as a result not a great deal of pressure. That changed I think with the loss of Jimenez and their form since, they are in relative terms struggling at the moment and unless they get a striker in January will continue to struggle.

I think it’s interesting that as soon as this happens Nuno seemingly changes in a similar way to Klopp changes when everything isn’t going his way. I don’t think you can form an opinion on someone when everything is going well, you see their real character when things are going badly.

So for me it’s a reflection of pressure and potentially the old favourite deflection tactic for managers. Either way you simply can’t question an officials professional competence like that and he will be charged.

I don't think Mason's close to being one of the better referees that's true.

So does Nuno have a point, or is it just sour grapes and pressure? That's what I was mulling over.

I think Nuno's comments are genuinely interesting, because they're not the usual "the referee got that one wrong" type complaints, they are comments on the way he handles matches, the way he is "a point of distraction" [it's all about me [the ref] in other words] and how he "worsens the flow of the game...with both teams los[ing]e their focus..."

I think that he does have. point, whether it's made now, as a distraction, or whatever. I don't think he's just made it up and used it to deflect attention, I think he genuinely feels it to be the case. And I have some sympathy with his view. More so because he never (to my knowledge) criticised referees, even when their errors have cost him points at crucial times - he's alway struck me as the most restrained manager with his normal comments on refs, which are along the lines of:

"Nuno - do you think the ref got it wrong there? did it cost you 3 points?"

"I prefer not to comment, refereeing is hard, we focus on our mistakes and we could have done more to stop....[etc.]"

So when he does, for the first time comment on a ref and the way he handles a game(s), before me dismissing it as invalid and me pouncing on a rival's manager, I kind of think..."yeah, actually what he's saying is something I think too". Of course players should accept that some ref's engage and some just tell them to go away and won't talk to them - there are different styles of refereeing, but man management is one skill, and Mason doesn't seem to be one of the better ones in that respect. He's less of a "look at me" ref than Mike Dean, but there's still a bit too much ego about him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

especially since having watched the game, I can't see it in the performance of the referee. It's an odd one. 

Yeah, in the game yesterday tea time Mason didn't cost Wolves the game or anything, that's true. But the combo of Burnley's style and attitude and the ref being maybe a bit happy to whistle obviously frustrated his team and him and they weren't able to get going.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 21:08, S-Platt said:

Best maybe biggest you are having a laugh.

Villa 

Wolves

Forest

West Brom

Leicester 

Derby 

Coventry 

Blues

Notts County 

Walsall 

I like your sentiments but there is no way West Bromwich Albion are a bigger club than Leicester and Derby, maybe not even Cov!

Villa

Forest

Wolves

Leicester

Derby

Coventry

WBA

Small Heath

Notts County

Walsall

Burton

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I notice the doghead fans are being unusually quiet in here................wonder why 🤣🤣

Tbf the ones we get on here are sound.  It's the multiple posters on their forum wishing broken legs and ACLs on our players that deserve to see their team lose to shithouse Burnley.

Aside from that I wouldn't mind Wolves to push the upper echelons with us (albeit behind us, a 'gap' you may call it).

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Tbf the ones we get on here are sound.  It's the multiple posters on their forum wishing broken legs and ACLs on our players that deserve to see their team lose to shithouse Burnley.

Aside from that I wouldn't mind Wolves to push the upper echelons with us (albeit behind us, a 'gap' you may call it).

I’m not casting aspersions on their character, it’s just slightly amusing that (like with the Leeds lot) they go quiet once we start performing well and them not so much :)

Â