Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nothing is more absurd to my mind than pretending it is possible to accurately freeze frame *the exact moment* the ball stopped touching a boot, and the width of a shirt sleeve.

As I've said many times before, if it's close enough that these lines are needed, then the benefit of the doubt should have gone to the attacker anyway.

100%

By all means have someone review it by eye so we can cut out the absolutely blatantly wrong offsides. But there's no need to go as microscopic as that.

Personally I think unless it's blatantly wrong, then you should go with the decision on the pitch. So that Costa goal could be on of those where it's on or off depending on what the linesman gave. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I read that they use 50 fps cameras for these decisions. It's why I laugh when I hear commentators say "We may not like it but you're either offside or you're not. It's just a fact". There's no way you can seriously purport to accurately know when the ball left the player's foot using 50 fps cameras, at least to the extent that you can claim a decision to be an incontrovertible fact.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm pretty sure I read that they use 50 fps cameras for these decisions. It's why I laugh when I hear commentators say "We may not like it but you're either offside or you're not. It's just a fact". There's no way you can seriously purport to accurately know when the ball left the player's foot using 50 fps cameras, at least to the extent that you can claim a decision to be an incontrovertible fact.

A lot of people seem to have difficulty acknowledging the massive difference between tennis (fixed 2d lines on two planes, one thing to look at - the ball) and cricket (fixed 2d line on one plane, one thing to look at - bowler's heel) and football (unfixed lines anywhere on the pitch, 3d shapes, two things to look at - attacker position vis-a-vis defender and moment of no contact from passer).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

A lot of people seem to have difficulty acknowledging the massive difference between ... cricket (fixed 2d line on one plane, one thing to look at - bowler's heel)...

Never mind the no ball law, a much better, and positive example is LBW and umpire's call.

You have a variable - the path of the ball, as determined by computer and the position of the stumps, the position of the batsman's pads or legs (dependent on whether playing a shot) where the ball pitched v 2 computer drawn lines wicket to wicket...and etc. A bunch of variables. Then if there's an element of doubt from the computer/third Umpire - will more than half the ball be hitting (or missing) the stumps? for example, then the decision stays with the one given by the on field official - the same for offsides would be just what Football needs - it also tallies with "clear and obvious error" that was supposed to be the reason behind VAR to start with. Basically if it's a clanger, overrule it, if it's not, or it's a matter of very fine margins, leave the decision that the Ref/Lino gave. They can still delay raising the flag until the play has finished. This millimetres is as you (and others) say, completely ludicrous for 3 or more moving elements (ball, 2 players, when did it exactly leave the foot? where is the start of the arm?).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd like a thick line that gives you a bigger margin of error and if the player is inside the thick line, whether he's onside or a centimetre offside, it's linesman's decision.

Would solve many issues tomorrow.

Double the width of both and it's only offside if they aren't touching.

Probably need to do something with the arms issue though. Not sure what the answer is on that. Maybe just have torsos? Arms and sleeves and kits are causing too many problems.

The lines can never be done consistently well. Too many variables. We're now getting an offside every week that wouldn't have been called before VAR was brought in. It sucks.

Just get rid of them and do it by the eyesight of the referee in charge of the game by watching the play back through at a couple of angles. If he or she can't see a clear offside, it's not offside.

• Like 3

I ended up watching the Leeds documentary where they got Bielsa as manager over the weekend. The line that stuck with me in the first episode was that "he never cheats" which is completely disproven throughout the season. He also absolutely destroys players with his training methods, no wonder they get so many injuries/tired. Their fans as well come across as completely arrogant fools that deserve to be challenging the top of the leagueI know that we have ourselves been guilty of "our right" to be in the top division, but nothing quite like what I saw from the Leeds fans. They justify every dodgy thing that they do because "we are Leeds and everyone is against us". They even justify "that goal" saying that as it was a head injury they were allowed to do it. They even failed to show the feigned attempt to kick the ball out. 

During the last episode I could not help but smile the whole way through knowing the ending :) 

Couldn't be bothered to watch the 2nd "season"... don't think anything interesting happens... 

7 hours ago, cyrusr said:

He also absolutely destroys players with his training methods, no wonder they get so many injuries/tired.

He's Felix Magath with better PR and fewer trophies.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

He's Felix Magath with better PR and fewer trophies.

Had to Mooney him but remember him now when he was at Fulham. Pretty bonker man.

With Bielsa - I didn’t realise that he has actually won so little. For the “greatest coach” his best achievement is winning the Argentinian league in 92/93/98 (well, their half seasons anyway), the 2004 Olympic Games and a few runner up spots. Winning trophies is not the be all and end all of good players/managers/coaches but it’s a pretty damn good one!

Leeds is also the club he has now spent the longest time with! 

Was wondering why Allioski was trending on twitter and saw apparently he's moving to Galatasaray.

Completely forgot about their two fans losing their lives over there in 2000, they hate Kewell now for moving there just before he retired. Think we played them just after that match.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So presumably they won't have much to spend in the Summer?

Bielsa jumps?

There's some things here that it doesn't cover.

We've only got a really small chunk of the prem money at that point and we've spent 45 million on transfers there but these are things like completing loan transfers for Costa and Meslier and previous deals done in installments.

There's also £20 mil in promotion bonuses, plus its estimated we were losing about £1mil a month in the championship once covid hit crowd attendances.

It doesn't go as far as Rodrigo, Koch, Raphinha, Llorente or a huge chunk of the prem income.

Basically, now we're promoted we're fine had we not gone up you'd imagine Phillips would have had to go.

34 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Basically, now we're promoted we're fine had we not gone up you'd imagine Phillips would have had to go.

Without saying you should sell him but if you did where would he go. I said before that he is a bit like Grealish that he is sellable by the media but you need a team that would actually accommodate him.

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Without saying you should sell him but if you did where would he go. I said before that he is a bit like Grealish that he is sellable by the media but you need a team that would actually accommodate him.

He'd be terrible value for money for whoever bought him.

Realistically as a DM if he wasn't English and a local lad he costs what... 30-40 million?

Since we don't need to sell and he is English he probably goes for 60+ and then in that case just go buy a foreign player who can do the same job for a 5th of the price.

I don't think there's a top team that would be interested at all, holding midfielders are everywhere these days and he wouldn't be worth the price. Guess that's the good thing about the stupid money in the league these days, not much need to be a selling club anymore.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

He'd be terrible value for money for whoever bought him.

Realistically as a DM if he wasn't English and a local lad he costs what... 30-40 million?

Since we don't need to sell and he is English he probably goes for 60+ and then in that case just go buy a foreign player who can do the same job for a 5th of the price.

I don't think there's a top team that would be interested at all, holding midfielders are everywhere these days and he wouldn't be worth the price. Guess that's the good thing about the stupid money in the league these days, not much need to be a selling club anymore.

I was thinking similar, Im not doubting him but I cant see a top 6 team sign him, maybe Arsenal but except for them but would a switch to Everton or West Ham be better than staying at Leeds 

Â