Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

5 minutes ago, BigRed said:

& then relied on goal line technology going wrong to keep you up. 

Sure Leeds only went up because of Covid 😉 though i should be careful as i might receive similar abuse to Karen Carney

Just now, VillaChris said:

Yes some like Dallas and Cooper have stayed and done much better than expected.

However you've moved others on like Barry Douglas who was regular in first 18 months of Bielsa and Foreshaw's another who's hardly featured, guessing injured as you haven't loaned him out.

Pablo Hernandez another with his age and everything that's had significantly less minutes than usual.

As much as he's a brilliant coach I'm not sure Bielsa would get Leeds anywhere near 10th if say he had Casilla in goal, Berardi somewhere in defence, Douglas at LWB, Forshaw in CM and Hernandez as number 10 as regular starters in prem. That is similar standard to us just sticking with likes of Nyland, Hutton, Whelan. Adomah etc.

I appreciate some of these points 

but Douglas was a regular for the first half of Bielsa’s first season got injured the 2nd season he wasn’t first choice. That was either allioski or Dallas who are still playing now. 

mesilier was with us last season and played the last 8 games of last season 

berardi was injured in the final game of the season only just got fit

forshaw has been injured for almost 2 years but klitch who plays the same position has been at Leeds for 4 years. 

I will agree on Hernandez but he’s been replaced by Rodrigo who’s been injured on and off all season so we are currently playing Tyler roberts who has been with us for 4 years as well. 

We brought in 2 CB’s in the summer 1 llorente has only managed 7 starts the other Koch has been injured for 3 months. So we’ve spent the season playing with ayling and either Cooper or strujk who both have been with us for years. 

the only signing that wasn’t here with us last season that has consistently played is raphina 

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is a silly talking point.

especially when there is a far more obvious reason for others to use by way of the covid outbreak allowing us to hit the reset button whereas we'd have 100% gone down if that hadn't happened. but people can keep using hawkeye all they want...doesn't bother us and just makes themselves look like idiots

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As much as he's a brilliant coach I'm not sure Bielsa would get Leeds anywhere near 10th if say he had Casilla in goal

I don't think City would be anywhere near 10th with Casilla in goal.

Just now, Rino8 said:

I don't think City would be anywhere near 10th with Casilla in goal.

Well that's the thing...when you joke about us staying up due to VAR have a look at the joker we had in goal that day.:lol: Had to play as our first two were out long term injured at the time.

1 hour ago, BigRed said:

But isn’t this the argument. Bielsa got the best out of a “championship” squad and has currently 10th where as yourselves felt it necessary to spend big on the squad and smith barely kept you up. What would smith have done with your championship team? 

No, this isn't the argument.

The situations are completely different - what would Smith have done with our championship team? He'd have put five youth players on the bench or he'd have had to play at centre back - the option of doing something with our championship team didn't exist.

When we got to the Premier league, we no longer had a Championship squad, many of them had left, retired or had been on loan.

Bielsa had done a brilliant job of assembling/improving a group of players in the Championship that he's still getting a huge amount out of now. Smith did a brilliant job of getting a handful of talented players, a load of loanees and a bunch of ageing veterans through to a playoff final win.

Bielsa had the opportunity to continue to work with his squad and improve them, Smith had to find a new squad from somewhere; we could barely field a team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRed said:

You do realise that we were playing the same way we’d played all season and were winning until we went down 10 and were forced to play more conservative. 

I'm not sure the first bit of this is true - Leeds were noticeably more focused on their defensive positioning, on being a little more compact than usual for the first part of the game - the tempo was lower than is usually the case for you guys, it looked like a different approach and although they'd had lots of chances, it looked to be frustrating City with Leeds still retaining the ability to threaten on the break.

If anything, I'd say it was an impressive statement from Bielsa that there's more to him than just trying to turn every game against bigger sides  into a sort of basketball randomiser, he'd changed his tactics and it looks like it had the potential to be effective. In the end it took a small footballing miracle to turn that into victory, but I don't think it was an accidental footballing miracle, I think it's the miracle Bielsa set out to get - with both ten and eleven men.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Nah they’ll do a Sheffield Utd

Yes but then who will be the hip manager to use to have a go at Smith. Wilder,Thomas Frank, Hassnhuttl and Bielsa in recent times have been better 

Maybe Daniel Farke will come in as the new Smith superior

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They wony be that bad, they'll do a poorer version of wolves, do well for a few years then drop off and stagnate 

Then Bielsa will go and the fun will start 

Interesting from the Leeds journalist on The Athletic, Bielsa pays the back room staff so if he leaves then they have no structure in place to takeover

Wonder if the same people saying this are the ones saying we'd do a Norwich last summer. Don't worry lads if you make a big prediction every summer you'll get one right eventually 

• Haha 1

Bielsa leaving will be a bit like O'Neill leaving us I reckon, players there will lose that extra 20% he gets out of them and it will be a very difficult void to fill, for the crowd aswell.

No idea who they'll target, could make do an internal appointment but guy who went off to Huddersfield hasn't done that well, they've been bottom 8 for most of the season.

Pretty sure Allegri's been linked to them in the past but can't see that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bielsa leaving will be a bit like O'Neill leaving us I reckon, players there will lose that extra 20% he gets out of them and it will be a very difficult void to fill, for the crowd aswell.

No idea who they'll target, could make do an internal appointment but guy who went off to Huddersfield hasn't done that well, they've been bottom 8 for most of the season.

Pretty sure Allegri's been linked to them in the past but can't see that.

I'm the same, I think Leeds are way too good to do a Sheffield Utd, got too much about them, but the project is also huge so can't see it being completed within say 5 years meaning that Bielsa won't see it through and eventually they'll start afresh which will come with its own problems 

Like i said they're a lot like wolves 

• Like 2

Â